No announcement yet.

Why does a Left handed person start playing guitar "Left Handed?"

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does a Left handed person start playing guitar "Left Handed?"

There's really no purpose or point, as they have no advantage or disadvantage to either hand, having never picked up a Guitar before?

Discuss

I'd think they'd have an initial advantage with the stronger hand fretting.

Comment

I'd think they'd have an initial advantage with the stronger hand fretting.

Not really, as the specific muscle strength needed for fretting would not yet be developed.

Comment

My brother is a leftie, but plays the guitar right-handed
        If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

Why does a Left handed person start masturbating "Left Handed?"

Oh yeah...it feels good
          I liked you better as your previous alt. Now you're just a giant walking vagina filled with sand and yeast.

Comment

it depends. i mostly try to get my left handed students to play right handed. parents will usually listen when i tell them their kid will have an easier time playing righty instruments, nevermind a better selection of instruments. but to some of them, it just feels wrong, and you can't argue with that.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

First he allows the spirit of Satan to enter the sacred temple of his flesh.

Then he kills a kitten and bathes his left hand in the hot kitteh nectar.

Etc.
              Brian

"it aint nothin' but a jam"
              -Jimi Hendrix 10-10-68

Comment

I'm left handed and i play righty
                check out my (car) design blog

Comment

it depends. i mostly try to get my left handed students to play right handed. parents will usually listen when i tell them their kid will have an easier time playing righty instruments, nevermind a better selection of instruments. but to some of them, it just feels wrong, and you can't argue with that.

I'm a lefty who plays righty and that was pretty much my reasoning. Easier to find instruments, able to jam on other peoples guitars and no need to switch everything around when reading tab.

It still feels wrong, but I put that down to incompetence
                  Last.fmgoodusername wrotemc100 is an utter **************** but completely correct

Comment

I'm a lefty who plays righty and that was pretty much my reasoning. Easier to find instruments, able to jam on other peoples guitars and no need to switch everything around when reading tab.

It still feels wrong, but I put that down to incompetence

I always considered myself left handed, because I hold a fork, spoon, pencil and pool cue in my left hand, but everything else I do right handed (and footed, for that matter). I guess I'm negative ambidexterous.
                    I always kind of felt sorry for the Dick Dale types who learned to pay "upside down"--especialy chords--way more confusing.
                    I always considered it a plus that my "strong hand" was the one that was forming chords.
                    Let that boy boogie woogie. It in him, an' it got to come out.

Comment

Why are there no left-handed pianos?
                      http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

More people than i thought playing right handed who are left handed otherwise.

Comment

More people than i thought playing right handed who are left handed otherwise.

Mark Knopfler and Chris Thile seem to have little trouble with it also.
                          CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

I'm left handed and i play righty

Me too.
                            up in this B.

Originally Posted by CharvelFan, Stackabones, Mercer, jamesp, jelloman and Sad Navigator

Sutto is the man!, I look forward to Sutto's future work., Sutto. . . you're awesome, Sutto is correct., I think Sutto's right again, Sutto speaks the truth...I'mma do something crazy and agree with Sutto.

Comment

For me it was because i started out on the viola in school. Either they didn't have left handed ones, or i just never bothered to question it.
                              check out my (car) design blog

Comment

Working...
                              X