Collapse
No announcement yet.

They really should get rid of pennies.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They really should get rid of pennies.

Seriously.

When the idea first come up years ago I though "Oh noes not our precious pennies!!"

But I just realized.... I use my silver but never, ever, ever, use pennies! They just build up and I'm never gonna use it. The metal it's printed on is even more valuable then the penny itself. And it's not even worth counting.

They should ditch it and just start rounding everything.
    Listen to my lo-fi bedroom demos here!!

I'll a step further and say they should just get rid of physical money.
    http://www.last.fm/user/pinkfreudHC

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. I like cash.

I even pay most of my bills in cash. Plus, the black market would take a huge hit from that. I like buying stuff used and locally.
      Listen to my lo-fi bedroom demos here!!

Comment

Cashless money is a wonderful idea but people seem to prefer holding a physical item of coinage in their hands for some reason. Plus, money can be used by anyone, anywhere. Cards require card readers and other technology which is out of the question some places.
        Originally Posted by Motorik

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

I agree, I see no point for anything under $0.25 a gigantic waste of money minting all of that currency.

Comment

I agree, I see no point for anything under $0.25 a gigantic waste of money minting all of that currency.

What about charity boxes and arcades, both of which take in MASSIVE amounts of pennies?

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

What about charity boxes and arcades, both of which take in MASSIVE amounts of pennies?

Charity Boxes - throwing pennies in a charity box is almost an insult.

Arcades - pretty sure that by the time the first coin-operated arcade game was used it took more than $0.01

Comment

Charity Boxes - throwing pennies in a charity box is almost an insult.

Arcades - pretty sure that by the time the first coin-operated arcade game was used it took more than $0.01

Over here we've still got a large amount of arcade games which use pennies, usually 'target' type games where the penny is a projectile.

Comment

Canada has already 86'd them.

Comment

Canada has already 86'd them.

Hasn't really gone into effect yet, and won't until early next year, but yeah.

Comment

Except maybe the ones that were in penny arcades
                      My Gear
                      Schecter Corsair
                      TelePartsCaster x3
                      Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                      Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                      Vox VT15
                      Fender SCXD
                      Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
                      Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
                      Vox AC4C1 amp
                      Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

Except maybe the ones that were in penny arcades

I should have been more specific. I was thinking about video game-style arcade games. The $0.25 variety, which is now probably $1.00.

Comment

They probably won't eliminate pennies for a while. Not until rounding can actually happen and will be accepted.
                          Proud Member of the Epiphone EmpireBOOMER SOONER!

Originally Posted by gopher666

I love how your sig soon takes up an entire browser window.

Originally Posted by Strings74

This is why I recommend booze.

Comment

They probably won't eliminate pennies for a while. Not until rounding can actually happen and will be accepted.

And until the latest round of cashiers who can't figure how to give change if i **************** them up by giving them an extra coin can learn to round AND give change
                            My Gear
                            Schecter Corsair
                            TelePartsCaster x3
                            Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                            Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                            Vox VT15
                            Fender SCXD
                            Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
                            Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
                            Vox AC4C1 amp
                            Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

The should cut the penny and make more of an effort at a widely used dollar coin.

Modern pennies are mostly zinc, and the melt value is less than $0.004. The pre 1982 version are mostly copper, and those babies are worth $0.02 cents a piece as scrap/melt.

Comment

Working...
                              X