Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning Mary Jane.

In a state like Colorado, where it's now legal to posses and smoke small amount of marijuana, if you worked for a company that had a drug policy, and did random drug tests, etc., are they now going to go by the national law or the state law? Is it up to the company? Is this just something that's going to have to be sorted out in the months/years to come?

I'm thinking, a company can't just make some clause like "You can't drink alcohol. Period." and fire anyone caught drinking on their time off. Or maybe they can and just don't because that would be stupid. So if pot was legalized completely, then they wouldn't be able to fire people for failing drug tests. But since it's only legal in the state and not the country, what's the status? What's going to happen?

Anybody hold a job like this? Has there been any news or rumors?
    ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

california has had legalized pot for medical uses for quite some time.....but the Fed's still maintain that it's an illegal drug according to FEDERAL law. so stores and people get busted all the time.

Washington and Colorado's change in the law WILL NOT MEAN SPITT!! cuz the fed's will not permit it.

there hasn't been a tenth ammendment since Lincoln forced the southern states back into the union at gunoint.
    "If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
    I woulda wrote a better song "
    member Mazi Bee Militia
    Talk Box Brigade
    Gretsch Guards
    Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

it's company policy. anyplace i've worked has been "at-will employment", meaning you can be fired or you can quit for any reason. if a company doesn't want to employ marijuana users then that's their right. and it's your right to find a company that doesn't care.
      The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

In Washington, employers can still fire people for testing positive for pot. At least, that's what the new has been saying for the past couple of days. It probably has to do with pot still being illegal federally. By the way, I'm pretty sure that employers can have no alcohol rules, most just don't; a private employer can make any rule he wants for his employes (within legal limits), but most don't because it's incredibly stupid, not to mention expensive to test for alcohol.
        Spam:
        Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOZ
          View Post

california has had legalized pot for medical uses for quite some time.....but the Fed's still maintain that it's an illegal drug according to FEDERAL law. so stores and people get busted all the time.

Washington and Colorado's change in the law WILL NOT MEAN SPITT!! cuz the fed's will not permit it.

there hasn't been a tenth amendment since Lincoln forced the southern states back into the union at gunoint.

I really think the FED is getting tired of fighting this. And now that more and more sections of the country are showing that they support legalization, and they'll have to bust more states than just California, which means they'll have to spend even more money than the ridiculous amount they already are...

I think things aren't going to be the same for much longer.

But Help and Folky are probably right, which I suspected. As long as it has nothing to do with race/handicap/age/gender/etc. an employee can hire and fire at will for any reason they want. I can see 'big business' being behind the times in this issue, where most of the country (maybe even the nation) has legalized it, yet certain companies are still firing people over it.
          ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOZ
            View Post

there hasn't been a tenth ammendment since Lincoln forced the southern states back into the union at gunoint.

What a gross oversimplification of the situation.
            The North remembers...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GnR102385
              View Post

What a gross oversimplification of the situation.

Indeed. Those states never left the Union, and Lincoln liberated them from the armed and uniformed gangs who thuggishly overran them.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                View Post

it's company policy. anyplace i've worked has been "at-will employment", meaning you can be fired or you can quit for any reason. if a company doesn't want to employ marijuana users then that's their right. and it's your right to find a company that doesn't care.

Yeah. I mean, if you smoke...haven't you already ruled out companies that piss test you and do random drug checks? Wouldn't you want to? Just for your own peace of mind? At a previous job, I got pulled for a random test. (I don't smoke and I was well within the safe zone for whatever pills I was eating at the time.) Still, it's unnerving.
                Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

It kind of blows my mind that companies would do drug testing at all unless it's a potential liability (vehicles, heavy machinery, pharmacies, weapons, etc.)... it certainly seems much more common in the US. Here, unless you're mining or drilling or flying, etc., then it's pretty much a non-issue. If it impacts job performance, then job performance is reason enough to merit action.

Comment

I had always assumed it was for lower group insurance rates.
                    R.I.P. Marko46 -- You are missed.

My 1988 Pearl MX Monster

Originally Posted by RumStik

You can't pick someone else's pedal anymore than you can dictate his scrotum wrinkle.

Comment

Some companies refuse to hire cigarette smokers even though tobacco smoking is legal.

One company I deal with was going to stop hiring and start firing people above a certain BMI. I think they stopped that program. They probably figured they couln't properly staff their company under that policy.

Comment

Mary jane is a gateway drug. If your on the mary jane it's not too soon you'll be on to harder stuff like heroin and PCP. It's a well known fact look it up. Companies don't want heroin addicts, doesn't matter what the laws are.
                        My Last FM
                        My Youtube page
                        BobNod # 11

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DdBob
                          View Post

Mary jane is a gateway drug. If your on the mary jane it's not too soon you'll be on to harder stuff like heroin and PCP. It's a well known fact look it up. Companies don't want heroin addicts, doesn't matter what the laws are.

Preach it! Booze is also a gateway drug. Everytime I've ingested something stupid, it was either b/c I was drinking or with someone I drink with. Companies should totally fire boozers.
                          Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                            View Post

Is Virginia an employment at will state?
                            Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

The battle lines have shifted a bit, but the civil war against pot users isn't over.

Comment

Working...
                              X