Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take for Christmas music to drive you nuts?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take for Christmas music to drive you nuts?

For this hypothetical scenario, let's say that it's background music somewhere - like at the grocery store. Not super loud, but clearly audible above the background noise.

Also, we're talking a bit beyond a mild annoyance; to the point where you'd modify what you're doing to get out of the area where the music is being played.

How long does this take?

*Poll to follow*

Faster than you can post a poll
    Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Just looking at this thread about christmas music has ****************ed me off.
      Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're the British SAS of Metal.

Originally Posted by Phlat Phive

You're a man of refined taste and strong opinions.

Originally Posted by goodusername

Mosiddiqi is a prick, btw.

Some Tunes:

http://www.box.net/shared/zbo8hrncu2
      http://www.box.net/shared/dnlnkn3g44
      http://www.box.net/shared/th4tv5noyi

Comment

I voted 0-5. By the 20th or so, hearing it in the store or wherever starts to drive me pretty nuts. I'm not a CHRISTMAS HATER or anything, but I just find all the seasonal stuff (especially the music) is just too ****************ing much and begins way too early in the year. That said, chirpy modern stuff will make me irritated much quicker than traditional renditions of carols. I can handle those a lot longer.

TRUE STORY: I used to work as a legal foot messenger. I spent, hell, probably an hour total of every workday in elevators. Maybe more. ALL the buildings downtown started up with the Christmas music after Thanksgiving, and usually the elevator had maybe a five minute loop of music. So I came to know the entire soundtrack to each elevator intimately. It became a form of psychological torture by the time Christmas approached. I remember times where nobody else would be in the elevator and I'd be stuffing my scarf over the speaker to try to muffle the music.

Comment

Within 5 minutes, I'm a bit annoyed.

By 15 or 20 minutes, I'm hurrying up or just skipping some things on my list to get the hell outta there.

I agree with squid that the type of Christmas music does make a difference. I made it to about 30 minutes at Home Depot yesterday, but by that point I was hustling to GTFO. They were playing a bunch of swing/rat-pack versions that I hadn't heard a jillion times before. Anything bubblegum pop or doo-wop-ey gets on my nerves a lot quicker.

Comment

I start teaching Christmas songs to students before Thanksgiving.
            -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

I spent one Christmas season working in a restaurant which had ONE 45 minute Christmas music 8-track playing on loop for the entire month of December. The patrons didn't stay long enough to notice it, but I heard "Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" once an hour, every hour, every day, all month.

My tolerance for Christmas music has never fully recovered.
              Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Christmas music is a lot like other genres of music I don't have a great interest in like blues, jazz, dance, polka etc. I'm OK for a few songs. After that I get bored. After a few more songs I get annoyed. Hate comes in only if I can't get away from it. That point seems to be at the 30-60 minute mark.

Comment

I depends on the Xmas tunes, really. Most of your typical retail Xmas mix is pretty ignorable. "Simply Having a Cocaine Monkey Fight" and "Grandma Got Runover by the '80s" being notable exceptions. I can usually hang for about 30 minutes.

Comment

In a store, I can pretty tune out whatever they're piping in and the Christmas stuff isn't much worse than what they normally play. I mean, I'd rather listen to Bing Crosby singing about a white Christmas than Grace slick tell me that SFO was built on rock and roll.

At home, I have an awesome collection of Christmas tunes and I can listen to that for a while.
                    www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

My true tale of Christmas music horror:

Thanksgiving weekend I had to run over to Home Depot to buy some LED bulbs, a dimmer switch, and paint, and the store was playing non-stop Christmas music. In a freaking hardware store. Normally I don't let Christmas music bother me, but it just seemed so out of place that it started to grind on my nerves, quickly irritating me to the point that I just just wanted to flee. It was like enduring a psychic assault. While trying to compare specs on the dimmers to the tune of "I'm Gettin' Nuttin' Fer Christmas," I just totally flipped out and grabbed what I thought would be the right switch and headed to the register. After I got home I realized that I obviously got the wrong one (single pole vs. 3-way), and hadn't picked up the paint or the bulbs. So, I went back to Home Depot, got my money back on the switch, and stood there in the electrical section with my hands pressed hard over my ears to block the music so I could read the packages and think for moment. Found the right switch and immediately headed to register to pay for it and get the **************** out of there. While driving home I realized, "****************! I FORGOT THE PAINT. HOW COULD I FORGET THE PAINT? AND THE LIGHT BULBS! WHAT THE ****************??" The third visit is kind of a blur to me now, but somehow I managed to come home with paint and light bulbs.

Comment

**************** all you Christmas haters

Here's a link to a thread for a Christmas album rhino played on

When I worked in restaurants I'd get sick of it pretty quick, but now that I don't wait tables or go to the mall, I get to choose the play list.

I have these on vinyl and if I find some other good ones I might add a few more this year.

Comment

I love Christmas but hate most Christmas music. I do like the old Phil Spector Christmas albums though.

Comment

If you don't like this you are an awful person. @ ~1:13 =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmVNJQ9Rhk0

You're welcome

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rickenvox
                              View Post

I do like the old Phil Spector Christmas albums though.

The Phil Spector Christmas stuff is rad.

Comment

Working...
                              X