Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
    View Post

Boo, ****************ing, hoo.

Why leave the house when you can Google it?
    Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
      View Post

Why leave the house when you can Google it?

Who is talking about Google? Are you that in love with tangents now that you're just dropping 'em willy nilly?
      Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

View Post

Who is talking about Google? Are you that in love with tangents now that you're just dropping 'em willy nilly?

I'm trying to help you be dismissive more effectively. Help me, help you!

Comment

View Post

You laugh, but I've been researching when soloing became equated with "wanking." I haven't had time to get after it seriously because it's just a tangent when it comes to what I'm really researching.

Specifically inside of a rock context? Because I don't think you can really isolate it like that.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Flamencology
            View Post

Specifically inside of a rock context?

Yeah. Though, I suspect it's just ported over from jazz or elsewhere, like that scene in Doyle's The Commitments. It's not a key thing, just basically wasting time by running down a big loony bit of footnote trivia.
            Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

View Post

Yeah. Though, I suspect it's just ported over from jazz or elsewhere, like that scene in Doyle's The Commitments. It's not a key thing, just basically wasting time by running down a big loony bit of footnote trivia.

Pick up a copy of A Lexicon of Musical Invective sometime.

Comment

I have been curious about this, too. I just assumed that the style got its name because players tore up their fingers playing.

Comment

It might simply be a misheard variation on woodshedding.

Comment

You can always tell the forumites who didn't come of age playing guitar in the 80's.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
                      View Post

In 1974, the German band Scorpions used their new guitarist Ulrich Roth for their album Fly to the Rainbow, for which the title track features Roth performing "... one of the most menacing and powerful whammy-bar dive bombs ever recorded". A year later, Roth's solo guitar playing for the album In Trance "... would become the prototype for shred guitar. Everything associated with the genre can be found on this brilliant collection of songs

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Flamencology
                        View Post

It might simply be a misheard variation on woodshedding.

seems highly unlikely. You're joking, right?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rickenvox
                          View Post

seems highly unlikely. You're joking, right?

Yes.

Comment

In the absence of a truly sufficient descriptor, Wes Powell coined the term to describe his playing in legendary 80's Hair Combo DAME.
                            -----------------

Originally Posted by Jimmy James: Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.

Originally Posted by StringJunky: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Comment

Crack pot theory: In the 70's people used the terms "tear it up" when it came to playing aggressively and with speed during a solo. The next logical extension would be "Whoah...that dude didn't tear it up, he ****************in SHREDDED it!"
                              "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
                                View Post

In the absence of a truly sufficient descriptor, Wes Powell coined the term to describe his playing in legendary 80's Hair Combo DAME.

They had the stuff. They coulda been the next Bullet Boys.
                                CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

Working...
                                X