Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar slang.Origins of"shred".

You hear it all the time.Such and such is a shredder.The such and such could be Malmsteen,Gilbert,etc . The origins of when some one said about a guitarist.."Dude can shred.." Where and when did it originate?

My guess Is from the surfers .Surfers use shred to describe riding the wave.

When I think surfing I think California.When I think shredding guitar I think Metal. When I think Metal I think L.A. In the 1980's.

Where they using the word shred to describe Rhoads,Jake E. Lee,Halen and all those other guitar gods back then? I was a early teen in late 80's but either dont recall or remember someone saying "Malmsteen can shred".

I have no idea who actually coined the term, but it was used in the guitar rags back in the mid to late 80s. I think the original usage was something like, "So-and-so shreds your face with his fast chops." In other words, it was an extension of "chops" to describe musicianship and "ax" to refer to an instrument.
    Originally Posted by requiem156

I don't have to find something to dislike - it comes naturally.

Comment

In 1974, the German band Scorpions used their new guitarist Ulrich Roth for their album Fly to the Rainbow, for which the title track features Roth performing "... one of the most menacing and powerful whammy-bar dive bombs ever recorded". A year later, Roth's solo guitar playing for the album In Trance "... would become the prototype for shred guitar. Everything associated with the genre can be found on this brilliant collection of songs
      “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

You're using Wikipedia as a source? For one, "shred" is still too vague a term for a Wikipedia article, since people still can't agree on what is or isn't shred. Second, that article is so riddled with misinformation and lies, I don't know where to begin.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen
          View Post

You're using Wikipedia as a source? For one, "shred" is still too vague a term for a Wikipedia article, since people still can't agree on what is or isn't shred. Second, that article is so riddled with misinformation and lies, I don't know where to begin.

At least Wikipedia tries.

Got a better source then share it with us.

I can't think of anyone that really put the shred thing together before Ulrich Roth. And I'm pretty old.

I agree with Wiki on that.
          “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
          -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
            View Post

At least Wikipedia tries.

Got a better source then share it with us.

I can't think of anyone that really put the shred thing together before Ulrich Roth. And I'm pretty old.

I agree with Wiki on that.

"At least Wikipedia tries?" It's not about trying, it's about presenting the correct information, and a bunch of people have been cramming a bunch of random terms they don't understand into an article, trying to pass it off as legitimate info. Then there's the whole "world's fastest" mumbo jumbo, which just lowers the quality of that article even further. Like I said, there are so many inaccuracies and hilarious claims in that article, I don't know where to begin.

It's a lot of random quotes about something that people still can't agree what is. Making a Wikipedia article about "shred" is about as useful as making a Wikipedia article about "feel". These are vague terms that describe something we can't define, although most agree on the basic definitions. Still, since this whole term is so vague, I don't wanna go around and pretend that we can specify what is or isn't 'shred'. It's just a description of fast, ripping guitar playing that people after a while felt should be used to describe a specific bunch of players, namely the guitar wizards of the mid-'80s, like Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, etc. It was a phrase that sounded right when trying to describe this kind of playing, which is what Malmsteen explained in an interview a few years back. He'd just arrived in the US, and people went up to him going: "You shred, dude!"

I know what my definition is, but it may not coincide with your definition.

Comment

View Post

"At least Wikipedia tries?" It's not about trying, it's about presenting the correct information, and a bunch of people have been cramming a bunch of random terms they don't understand into an article, trying to pass it off as legitimate info. Then there's the whole "world's fastest" mumbo jumbo, which just lowers the quality of that article even further. Like I said, there are so many inaccuracies and hilarious claims in that article, I don't know where to begin.

It's a lot of random quotes about something that people still can't agree what is. Making a Wikipedia article about "shred" is about as useful as making a Wikipedia article about "feel". These are vague terms that describe something we can't define, although most agree on the basic definitions. Still, since this whole term is so vague, I don't wanna go around and pretend that we can specify what is or isn't 'shred'. It's just a description of fast, ripping guitar playing that people after a while felt should be used to describe a specific bunch of players, namely the guitar wizards of the mid-'80s, like Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, etc. It was just a phrase that sounded right when trying to describe this kind of playing.

I know what my definition is, but it may not coincide with your definition.

To be honest I don't think that there will ever be a real definition.

I do think that Ulrich Roth was one of the first to make people think "wow, what was that".

That's the reason for the wiki link. I got bored and stopped reading shortly in.
              -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
                View Post

To be honest I don't think that there will ever be a real definition.

I do think that Ulrich Roth was one of the first to make people think "wow, what was that".

That's the reason for the wiki link. I got bored and stopped reading shortly in.

Good thing you stopped. I was pulling my hair out halfway through, and I've read my fair share of nonsense online over the years.

But yeah, I agree that Roth's playing, linking the heavy Hendrix'y blues phrases with a more European melodic style, hinting at classical as well as Eastern inspirations, was an important stepping stone towards what guys like Malmsteen and MacAlpine would be doing a decade later. Roth, but also Michael Schenker, early Holdsworth, Di Meola, Blackmore, Frank Marino, they played an important role. It's easier today to go back and listen to an album like In Trance, or even stuff by Tempest several years earlier, and ask ourselves: "Why didn't people go nuts over THIS stuff? It's just as wild and groundbreaking as whatever Eddie and Yngwie did!", but I guess it's all about the time and the place.

Comment

View Post

Good thing you stopped. I was pulling my hair out halfway through, and I've read my fair share of nonsense online over the years.

But yeah, I agree that Roth's playing, linking the heavy Hendrix'y blues phrases with a more European melodic style, hinting at classical as well as Eastern inspirations, was an important stepping stone towards what guys like Malmsteen and MacAlpine would be doing a decade later. Roth, but also Michael Schenker, early Holdsworth, Di Meola, Blackmore, Frank Marino, they played an important role. It's easier today to go back and listen to an album like In Trance, or even stuff by Tempest several years earlier, and ask ourselves: "Why didn't people go nuts over THIS stuff? It's just as wild and groundbreaking as whatever Eddie and Yngwie did!", but I guess it's all about the time and the place.

That's very true.

Also, it takes a pretty long time for some things to catch on.

When it catches the pioneers often get over-shadowed by the hot young copy cats.
                  -Rachel Carson-

Comment

OP is asking when/where the term "shred" came about and you guys are arguing who was the first "shredder"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun
                      View Post

OP is asking when/where the term "shred" came about and you guys are arguing who was the first "shredder"

I know what the OP was asking, I was responding to dparr. I did address the OP's question, too:

It was a phrase that sounded right when trying to describe this kind of playing, which is what Malmsteen explained in an interview a few years back. He'd just arrived in the US, and people went up to him going: "You shred, dude!"

Meaning it must have been used in LA since at least the early '80s to describe something wild and exciting. Kinda like "rock and roll" had different meanings before it was decided it should be used to describe a certain kind of music.

Comment

Ask Sad Navigator. He has a friend who is doing a study on how shred affects socio-economic bed wetting in American culture. Your conversations are invalid until he speaks with her.
                        Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                          View Post

Ask Sad Navigator. He has a friend who is doing a study on how shred affects socio-economic bed wetting in American culture. Your conversations are invalid until he speaks with her.

You laugh, but I've been researching when soloing became equated with "wanking." I haven't had time to get after it seriously because it's just a tangent when it comes to what I'm really researching.
                          Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
                            View Post

You laugh, but I've been researching when soloing became equated with "wanking." I haven't had time to get after it seriously because it's just a tangent when it comes to what I'm really researching.

Quickly dismiss their comments until you can talk to your little authority on everything.
                            Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                              View Post

Quickly dismiss their comments until you can talk to your little authority on everything.

Boo, ****************ing, hoo.
                              Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Working...
                              X