Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk Sloppy Joe's

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago an old friend of mine called me up and said he was putting together a surprise 40th birthday party for his wife and asked me if I wanted to work up a couple of jams for it in addition to the other bands on the bill, we went on as Manwhich! and rocked a couple of songs out. The week before the show I was looking at the local entertainment rag and saw an add for "Manwhich! Live at Quenchers and laughed. We should have put "ten sloppy joes" on the rider but we didn't. I brought a guitar and played through his rig which was a Traynor YBA-! 100 watt head and a Sound City 4x12 cab and it was quite loud for sure.

Comment

A few years ago an old friend of mine called me up and said he was putting together a surprise 40th birthday party for his wife and asked me if I wanted to work up a couple of jams for it in addition to the other bands on the bill, we went on as Manwhich! and rocked a couple of songs out. The week before the show I was looking at the local entertainment rag and saw an add for "Manwhich! Live at Quenchers and laughed. We should have put "ten sloppy joes" on the rider but we didn't. I brought a guitar and played through his rig which was a Traynor YBA-! 100 watt head and a Sound City 4x12 cab and it was quite loud for sure.

Comment

Burgers for the laziest unambitious indiscriminate undiscerning impatient underachievers on the planet.

Comment

Burgers for the laziest unambitious indiscriminate undiscerning impatient underachievers on the planet.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Flamencology
            View Post

Burgers for the laziest unambitious indiscriminate undiscerning underachievers on the planet.

If you grew up like I did it sure was better than when your Mom had to make you American cheese on white bread sandwiches for dinner and before having sloppy joes for dinner she sent you to the store with a couple of returnable pop bottles and a handful of change to get the ingredients. True story.

Comment

View Post

Burgers for the laziest unambitious indiscriminate undiscerning underachievers on the planet.

If you grew up like I did it sure was better than when your Mom had to make you American cheese on white bread sandwiches for dinner and before having sloppy joes for dinner she sent you to the store with a couple of returnable pop bottles and a handful of change to get the ingredients. True story.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump
                View Post

I was there. Though I was a little too young to take the pop bottles to the store by myself too often before they quit selling pop in bottles.

Ways to stretch ground beef:

Sloppy Joes

Taco night

Hamburger + macaroni + green pepper + brown gravy mix (i.e., Hamburger Helper was too expensive)

Meatloaf

Chipped beef and gravy on toast (**************** on a single) was another popular "money's tight this month" meal.
                Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

View Post

I was there. Though I was a little too young to take the pop bottles to the store by myself too often before they quit selling pop in bottles.

Sloppy Joes

Taco night

Hamburger + macaroni + green pepper + brown gravy mix (i.e., Hamburger Helper was too expensive)

Meatloaf

Chipped beef and gravy on toast (**************** on a single) was another popular "money's tight this month" meal.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
                    View Post

Sloppy Joes

Taco night

Meatloaf

Yeah, right.

Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
                      View Post

Sloppy Joes

Taco night

Meatloaf

Yeah, right.

Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                        View Post

Yeah, right.

That's right. I didn't grow up in the projects. I grew up in a paycheck-to-paycheck situation in the working class suburbs of Chicago. I never had to eat government cheese or nothing, but I'm guessing that mostly just luck and my folks not knowing where to get said cheese. I'm sorry I didn't live in Cabrini Green with you in the '70s. We could have been best pals.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                          View Post

Yeah, right.

That's right. I didn't grow up in the projects. I grew up in a paycheck-to-paycheck situation in the working class suburbs of Chicago. I never had to eat government cheese or nothing, but I'm guessing that mostly just luck and my folks not knowing where to get said cheese. I'm sorry I didn't live in Cabrini Green with you in the '70s. We could have been best pals.

Comment

View Post

I was raised never to complain about what was served.

Poverty no doubt changes your expectations, but still; if you have the ingredients to make a Sloppy Joe, then you have the ingredients to make a burger.

I can't relate to your history, but I was left to prepare my own meals from about 7 on; I ate my share of really bad ones as a consequence.

Comment

View Post

Poverty no doubt changes your expectations, but still; if you have the ingredients to make a Sloppy Joe, then you have the ingredients to make a burger.

I can't relate to your history, but I was left to prepare my own meals from about 7 on; I ate my share of really bad ones as a consequence.

Comment

View Post

Another culinary horror involving burger -- IMPOSSIBLE CHEESEBURGER PIE. My mother isn't much of a cook, but you were in trouble when she "got creative" and reached for the red Betty Crocker paperback.

Ground beef, eggs, cheese, Bisquick -- all mocked as they're sent to food hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X