Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need to straighten this out before we can move forward in our relationship

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to straighten this out before we can move forward in our relationship

Action Figures: Action figures must possess a certain amount of posability, often referred to as "points of articulation". These figures will have moving parts that can be manipulated into various poses. Often they come with interchangeable accessories such as weapons or snap-on backpacks.

Posability: Yes. Most collectors agree that an action figure should possess no less than 3 points of articulation (e.g. the head and both arms move).

Size: From approximately 3 inches up to 11 inches.

Other Features: Most action figures will be built entirely of molded plastic, including its clothing and accessories, although occasionally some will come with one piece of cloth clothing (e.g. a robe or cape).

Dolls: Dolls are almost always much larger than figurines and action figures and will often come with clothing that can be removed almost completely. They should also possess a certain amount of posability, but the emphasis on posability is often second to the realism of the sculpts and accessories.

Posability: Yes. Depending on the line of the dolls, posability is less important than display aesthetics.

Size: Usually 12 inches or larger.

Other Features: Dolls will often have removable clothing, down to the figures "skin" and will possibly have other interchangeable outfits that can be purchased separately. Accessories such as weapons and other hand-held gear are also abundant and highly prized by doll collectors.

The Gray Areas

Let's look at some of the possible gray areas within each category.

Action Figures: Some action figures can be quite large, upwards to 11 inches, in some cases larger. But an action figure larger than 11 inches does not by default become a doll unless the majority of its clothing can be completely removed. For example, the classic Shogun Warriors of the 1970's stood at a whopping 24 inches, yet were completely made of molded plastic and designed to be played with more than displayed.

Alternately, some action figures may be smaller than 3 inches, such as the Yoda action figure from Kenner's Empire Strikes Back line. However, it possessed 5 points of articulation, a cloth robe and two molded plastic accessories. Despite its similarities to both figurines and dolls, it is ultimately an action figure.

Dolls: Dolls may be smaller than 12 inches, but as long as they still have clothing that can be completely removed and it is clear that the figure was meant to be displayed, as opposed to played with, it can be considered a doll.

However, one of the most popular figures in the world, the classic G.I. Joe figures of the 1960s-'70s is often referred to alternately as both an action figure and a doll. The original figures stood at around 12 inches and had completely removable clothing that could be switched out for other outfits. By our definition, this is a doll, but due to its obvious design as a toy meant to be played with, it could also be considered an action figure. Ironically, G.I. Joe is the reason for the term "action figure" due to Hasbro executives worrying that boys would not play with a "doll," thus giving the figure the new term.
    Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

tl/dr

it's OK bro, you play with dolls. we're not here to judge.
    Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Dolls are almost always much larger than figurines and action figures and will often come with clothing that can be removed almost completely. They should also possess a certain amount of posability.

Dolls will often have removable clothing, down to the figures "skin" and will possibly have other interchangeable outfits that can be purchased separately.

Dolls may be smaller than 12 inches, but as long as they still have clothing that can be completely removed.

Comment

tl/dr

it's OK bro, you play with dolls. we're not here to judge.

Dolls are almost always much larger than figurines and action figures and will often come with clothing that can be removed almost completely. They should also possess a certain amount of posability.

Dolls will often have removable clothing, down to the figures "skin" and will possibly have other interchangeable outfits that can be purchased separately.

Dolls may be smaller than 12 inches, but as long as they still have clothing that can be completely removed.

Comment

Action figures are also known as action dolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_figure
        Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Action figures are also known as action dolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_figure

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
            View Post

Civilians call them dolls. Don't challenge me on this. Learn to trust.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
              View Post

Comment

i used to gig with a grizzlor action figure on top of my amp, those were the days.
                strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

i used to gig with a grizzlor action figure on top of my amp, those were the days.
                  strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                    View Post

Civilians? What?! Did you enlist as a Stormtrooper, bro?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                      View Post

Civilians? What?! Did you enlist as a Stormtrooper, bro?

Comment

Trust Issues.

Comment

Trust Issues.

Comment

is this a doll or an action figure?

Note: Photo on loan from the Jimmy James private collection.

Comment

is this a doll or an action figure?

Note: Photo on loan from the Jimmy James private collection.

Comment

Working...
                              X