Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has GJ talked about the Les Mis movie yet?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has GJ talked about the Les Mis movie yet?

I saw it a few days after it came out, and was overall pretty impressed. I've always loved the music and I saw it on the stage many years ago. I thought Russell Crowe was the clear weak link in the movie (and there seems to be some consensus on that, his performance already having been lampooned by the onion), which is too bad. Unfortunately his weak singing seemed to distract him from being able to act too.

Anybody else go see it?
    Originally Posted by danuniversal

Dr. Flamencology, please stop your insulting words.

Originally Posted by lukeswall

what's that acronym you guys use all the time? something to do with hitting it in the butt. I always forget how it goes.

Heard something about Anne Hathaway's pubes and that's about it.
    http://www.last.fm/user/pinkfreudHC

Comment

Heard something about Anne Hathaway's pubes and that's about it.
      http://www.last.fm/user/pinkfreudHC

Comment

I'll probably go see it this weekend.

I linked to David Denby's entertaining takedown a few days ago:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...iserables.html

Having seen the London production well over a decade ago, I can't find a whole lot to take issue with. But it's also in step with the "exempting Sondheim, musicals went to hell after Gypsy, Cabaret, West Side Story, etc." consensus, which I heartily endorse.

Comment

Having seen the London production well over a decade ago, I can't find a whole lot to take issue with. But it's also in step with the "exempting Sondheim, musicals went to hell after Gypsy, Cabaret, West Side Story, etc." consensus, which I heartily endorse.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Flamencology
            View Post

I'm a month ahead of you.
            Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Flamencology
              View Post

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James
                View Post

I can live with that.

Comment

View Post

I can live with that.

Comment

I saw it when it first opened in Chicago as an adult.

Comment

Comment

View Post

Yeah, but you've never read the book that it's based on in its original language.

Comment

View Post

Yeah, but you've never read the book that it's based on in its original language.

Comment

I thought it was absolutely terrible. I've never seen the stage musical, so I have no idea how it is, but I thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in a really long time. I went to see it because my sister (a huge fan of the musical) offered to buy me a ticket, and I was really expecting to at least kind of like it, but god damn did it fail.

The pacing is absolutely terrible, everything is way too rushed, besides the stuff that drags on for too long. It's mostly just: big slow song where someone repeats how they feel over and over again - bam - right into another song that does the same thing, like they just wanted to cram in all the famous songs and didn't care about story. The direction was was similarly godawful; I have no idea why the director was nominated for DGA awards, it violated all the rules I know about cinematography and composition, and everything was just annoying to watch (too many things were out of focus, there were way too many close-ups, etc.). I didn't even think the music was very good, which was really surprising because of how popular it is, but way too many of the lyrics just sounded clumsy to me. What's the point of setting everything to music if everyone is just going to be singing straight dialogue? Way too many of the lines just sounded clunky and awkward, and I was distracted by that a lot.

The acting was pretty good, but it was hard to see past the annoying visuals and hear past the clumsy music to see that, not that the actors had much to work with anyway. The characters are all weak and there's no development at all. I really don't understand why this movie is getting any praise at all. Even my Les Mis superfan of a sister said it was a bad adaptation.
                            Spam:
                            Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

I thought it was absolutely terrible. I've never seen the stage musical, so I have no idea how it is, but I thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen in a really long time. I went to see it because my sister (a huge fan of the musical) offered to buy me a ticket, and I was really expecting to at least kind of like it, but god damn did it fail.

The pacing is absolutely terrible, everything is way too rushed, besides the stuff that drags on for too long. It's mostly just: big slow song where someone repeats how they feel over and over again - bam - right into another song that does the same thing, like they just wanted to cram in all the famous songs and didn't care about story. The direction was was similarly godawful; I have no idea why the director was nominated for DGA awards, it violated all the rules I know about cinematography and composition, and everything was just annoying to watch (too many things were out of focus, there were way too many close-ups, etc.). I didn't even think the music was very good, which was really surprising because of how popular it is, but way too many of the lyrics just sounded clumsy to me. What's the point of setting everything to music if everyone is just going to be singing straight dialogue? Way too many of the lines just sounded clunky and awkward, and I was distracted by that a lot.

The acting was pretty good, but it was hard to see past the annoying visuals and hear past the clumsy music to see that, not that the actors had much to work with anyway. The characters are all weak and there's no development at all. I really don't understand why this movie is getting any praise at all. Even my Les Mis superfan of a sister said it was a bad adaptation.
                              Spam:
                              Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

Working...
                              X