Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you go about learning a piece of music note for note?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you go about learning a piece of music note for note?

Say something like Eruption.  Let's get past the "why would you waste your time learning that..."  As guitar players, it is at least something most of us are familiar with. 

Would you learn the entire piece in it's entirety at a slower speed and then work on getting the entire thing up to speed.  Or, would you slow it down or would you break it up into 4-5 sections and work on getting one section up to speed before moving on to the next?  

I tend to sort of do both.  Then eventually I get the entire piece together and work on getting it up to speed.  Of course, I am playing a variety of things (new and old) at the same time so it can take longer than it would if I was just focusing on one thing at a time. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Yer Blues wrote:

Say something like Eruption.  Let's get past the "why would you waste your time learning that..."  As guitar players, it is at least something most of us are familiar with. 

Would you learn the entire piece in it's entirety at a slower speed and then work on getting the entire thing up to speed.  Or, would you slow it down or would you break it up into 4-5 sections and work on getting one section up to speed before moving on to the next?  

I tend to sort of do both.  Then eventually I get the entire piece together and work on getting it up to speed.  Of course, I am playing a variety of things (new and old) at the same time so it can take longer than it would if I was just focusing on one thing at a time. 

If something is technically challenging and fast, I would do what you do- break it into pieces and slow it down, and learn it bit by bit.

This is by the way also a great way to learn drum stuff, especially for newer drummers. A lot of stuff that might seems hard gets a lot easier when you slow it waaay down. Once you've learned it, you gradually speed it back up.

Comment

• Yer Blues
      Yer Blues commented
      Editing a comment

Yes... transcribe is great for slowing stuff down.  That is what I use.  I did lose all my music on my computer though, so if I want to use it now I have to either download from youtube or import the cd again.   

BTW, how do you quote posts? 

I break it up into small chunks and practice it slower. The more difficult it is to me, the smaller the chunks. I'll also sometimes jump to the next chunk befrore I can do the previous one at speed if I'm getting fed up when progress is slow. I don't think I'd have the patience to learn Eruption. I could maybe, just maybe manage it technically after probably several months but I'd run out of patience long before then.

"You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Comment

• mosiddiqi
      mosiddiqi commented
      Editing a comment
      A mixture of things really, whatever I need to get it done. Sometimes I have to accept that I'm not going to get a bit note for note..not because of speed, but usually phrasing..the "swing" lick in "Eruption" for example, kills me.

As a matter of interest, I decided to learn the "Stairway.." solo note for note (I'd somehow never done that) and what was interesting for me is that almost NOBODY I see on YT is playing it the way I hear it. Everyone (with one exception that I've seen) ducks out of the big two step bend near the end of the solo which goes from F to A..most people start on F# and do one and a half steps...or start on F and just bend a whole step to G...both of which sound wrong to me. I might be wrong of course.

• Yer Blues
      Yer Blues commented
      Editing a comment

Eh, I don't think it's that bad.  Pete what's his name (played with Chris Cornell and Melissa Ethridge) breaks it down over 5 youtube videos.  The first one is basically him talking.  So, there are like 4 parts and at least 1/4 of that is the tapping.  I don't have a whammy bar though, so I'll have to do it Phil X style.  I'll post a youtube of his when I get home.

I think it's a cool piece of music though.  I'm sure it was very mind blowing in 1978 or whenever it came out.  Every now and then I go through brief phases of various guitarist.  EVH is definitely a killer player. 

Yer Blues wrote:

Depends on the piece. Generally, I'll look at some transcriptions and spend some time listening to the piece so I can attach the music to the notation. If the guitar tone is important to executing the piece I'll spend some time wanking around trying to get a tone that is close to the original. Then I'll work on finding the notes from the transcription on the instrument, and getting the positions, fingerings and movements down. Then I'll start playing along with the piece at half speed, looping a couple of bars at a time until I can play that section, and then move on. When I can get through the piece at half speed I'll repeat the process at full speed, cutting back to 75% speed if I'm having problems with that section.

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

When I comitted myself to learning "Cliffs of Dover", I did it in sections.

So it went like this:

Day 1 - 5: Intro

Day 6- 10: Intro

Day 11- 15 Intro

Day 16: Give up and fornicate that song.

www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

Working...
      X