Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadliest Warrior: Brian Setzer vs. Rev Horton Heat

Unless there is an upset I can see how this one will end, but maybe we'll get some good discussion.

These are two Gretsch guitarists that are so unbelievably good, so far up there that none of us will ever get anywhere close. Vast chord repertoire, amazing tone, blazing solos...they are the kings of recent rockabilly guitar(come on, no one beats Carl Perkins, NO ONE!). Setzer has the big band thing, Rev, the Texas swing...

Who will win in...Ultimate Warrior, Setzer vs. Heat!?

Wow, this is a good one. Though I really like both and think Setzer may be a smidge better, I voted for the Rev on principle. Always vote for the raunchier choice.
    Originally Posted by axuality
    What does the quality of Harvard have to do with this? You don't want to make the common mistake of Liberalism by thinking that education makes one smarter.

Comment

To be honest I don't see that much between them in terms of skill-set, by which I mean I can't think of any particular track by one of them that would be beyond the other's capability. They both have the same sorts of ingredients making up their skill-set, they just concentrate more on different aspects of it. Setzer leans more to the jassy swing guitar, but Jim Heath can do that too. Heath does a bit of western swing, but there's no way Setzer would have difficulty with that. The Rev also has more punky songs, but then Setzer did punky stuff years ago.
      Funnily enough I don't particularly care for either one's singing, but I'll give the edge to croony Setzer as although I'm not a huge fan of it I like his voice more than the Rev's voice.

Hmmm, this is difficulty.

Catalogue wise Setzer swings it, while he has tons of songs I don't care for I think he still has more good songs than Reverend Horton Heat. Also Setzer came first and he genuinely advanced rockabilly. He was pretty much fully formed stylistically when the Stay Cats broke through and he had a style of playing that was very much his own: his rockabilly was not so much hillbilly as "citybilly". He had those jazzy chords and lead lines, and the punk energy. That's definitely not saying that rockabilly didn't have jazzy lead before him -- Danny Cedrone and Cliff Gallup are two obvious examples of jassy players -- but Setzer just seemed to make it integral to his song structure in a way that seemed new. Stray Cats songs like "Stray Cat Strut" had that Peggy Lee "Fever" 50s jazz noir thing that doesn't sound like Elvis, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins etc.
      The Reverend Horton Heat on the other hand came later and Setzer had already opened the door for him. Heath didn't really do anything that Setzer hadn't done first. He took the punky thing further for a while, but that's about it.

So, yeah, I'll give my vote to Setzer.

EDIT: Nearly forgot - Setzer popularised filtertrons in rockabilly and revived the fortunes of Gretsch.
      Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

Though i am fan of both, Motorik pretty much nailed it. so it's setzer for me.
        Good Deals with: Brim & hemispheres

Comment

Funnily enough I don't particularly care for either one's singing, but I'll give the edge to croony Setzer as although I'm not a huge fan of it I like his voice more than the Rev's voice.

Yeah, they both ham it up vocally too much for my tastes. They're both great guitarists though.

Comment

Yeah, they both ham it up vocally too much for my tastes. They're both great guitarists though.

Another more recent player who is really good is Paul Pigat, although he sounds a lot more "historical" to me than Setzer or Heath, if you know what I mean. Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just a difference in style.

Comment

Another more recent player who is really good is Paul Pigat, although he sounds a lot more "historical" to me than Setzer or Heath, if you know what I mean. Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just a difference in style.

Thanks for the heads up on Pigat. I do like a more "historical" sound

It doesn't have to be a complete recreation, but I really don't like the modern growling grease monkey rockabilly voice thing. If anything, I think more hiccups are in order.

I quite like these fellows:

Comment

I'm going with The Rev.
                -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

[QUOTE=Motorik;39496803]To be honest I don't see that much between them in terms of skill-set, by which I mean I can't think of any particular track by one of them that would be beyond the other's capability...
                  Catalogue wise Setzer swings it... he still has more good songs than Reverend Horton Heat. Also Setzer came first.

Motorik wrote the opus. from the perspective of this correspondent, the gist of the battle comes down to the fact that Brian Setzer is an original: he was first on the scene, actually created his own scene. Rev. Heat, while an amazingly talented guitarist, built upon that. Plus, overall, Setzer has more good songs in greater variety than the Reverend Dr. Heat.

they both have super-cool guitars; i'd prefer Setzer's, without the dice.
                  Originally Posted by Motorik

.... poster boy of coolness. He's all peak-human badass with no negative qualities. He's the likeable guy who kicks the **************** out of bad guys and all the girls love him.

Originally Posted by StringJunky

Gay lung is just one of those techniques that some guitarists use effectively, and some use waaaaay too much. Like sweep-picking or rasgueaos on a six-string bass. I think twenty years from now, we'll look back and say "Gay lung was over-rated."

Originally Posted by Flamencology

...But PerfectTommy is RIGHT.

Comment

I prefer the Rev's guitar:

Comment

I prefer the Rev's guitar:

it's a beaut. i'd take it in a flash, if i had the cash. still, i read somewhere that the bracing in the Setzer model is preferable (supposedly creates a fuller tone); but i've seen neither 'in the wood' so i'm basing my opinion only on what i've heard (not live) and read (some of it from sources as irreputable as this forum).
                      Originally Posted by Motorik

.... poster boy of coolness. He's all peak-human badass with no negative qualities. He's the likeable guy who kicks the **************** out of bad guys and all the girls love him.

Originally Posted by StringJunky

Gay lung is just one of those techniques that some guitarists use effectively, and some use waaaaay too much. Like sweep-picking or rasgueaos on a six-string bass. I think twenty years from now, we'll look back and say "Gay lung was over-rated."

Originally Posted by Flamencology

...But PerfectTommy is RIGHT.

Comment

SETZER
                        You should click here... Do it.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on Pigat. I do like a more "historical" sound

It doesn't have to be a complete recreation, but I really don't like the modern growling grease monkey rockabilly voice thing. If anything, I think more hiccups are in order.

YES! Hiccupping vocals are the essence of rockabilly!

You know what we don't need more of? Psychobilly bands with a really fast double bassist and a guitarist who plays distorted powerchords on a Gretsch and a few Chuck Berry double-stops now and again. Usually the songs sound like The Misfits with an upright bass, not rockabilly. Or the other way they make it "psychobilly" is they play their punk powerchords and then throw in a reverbed minor chord with a Bigsby wiggle now and again for punctuation.

Comment

YES! Hiccupping vocals are the essence of rockabilly!

You know what we don't need more of? Psychobilly bands with a really fast double bassist and a guitarist who plays distorted powerchords on a Gretsch and a few Chuck Berry double-stops now and again. Usually the songs sound like The Misfits with an upright bass, not rockabilly. Or the other way they make it "psychobilly" is they play their punk powerchords and then throw in a reverbed minor chord with a Bigsby wiggle now and again for punctuation.

That's EXACTLY what we do need more of

Edit: The band I play in less Psychobilly and more Punk n Roll. I don't play a guitar with vibrato and I don't do Chuck Berry double stops
                            Originally Posted by Tom Fucherheigen

He is an adult now, but he is a child in the trousers.

Originally Posted by clay sails

This is essentially the same as married life, except that when you get married you share space with someone who washes your cum socks.

Comment

it's a beaut. i'd take it in a flash, if i had the cash. still, i read somewhere that the bracing in the Setzer model is preferable (supposedly creates a fuller tone); but i've seen neither 'in the wood' so i'm basing my opinion only on what i've heard (not live) and read (some of it from sources as irreputable as this forum).

I've played neither one, but I like western inlays and the G brand more than dice knobs (I really hate dice knobs). I'd be very happy to play either though (although I'm a bit wary of the Setzer Hotrod only having a master volume and no tone pots).

I like the Eddie Cochran sig too, but again I've never played one either, so this is all based on guesswork.

Comment

Working...
                              X