Your Favorite Sports Writers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Sports Writers

Zach Lowe (grantland.com) - Innovative application of statistical analysis to the NBA.

Dave Cameron (fangraphs.com) - Laid the groundwork for Zach Lowe by applying statistical analysis to MLB.

Bill Simmons (grantland.com) - The Sports Guy schtick is getting tired, and he is seriously overexposed, but I've been reading him forever and even if he doesn't make me laugh now, he still reminds me of all the times he has made me laugh in the past.

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Christopher Martin Jenkins (RIP)- Cricket writer who recently passed away.

Originally Posted by Tom Fucherheigen

He is an adult now, but he is a child in the trousers.

Originally Posted by clay sails

This is essentially the same as married life, except that when you get married you share space with someone who washes your cum socks.

Drew Magary at deadspin: Not really a "sports writer" but funny as hell.

Gene Wojciechowski at espn.com. love his BMOC articles.

Also Tom Scocco (freelance?)

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Scocca works for Deadspin. Before that he was my absolute favorite Slate writer.
        Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

One guy I really liked reading was Charley Rosen (NBA).  I actually just found out he now writes for Hoopshype. 

I read Peter Kings MMQB every week.

That's about it.

• harold heckuba
            harold heckuba commented
            Editing a comment

Skip Tebow of ESPN.

Over the past few months, I've read all the books that have won or been nominated for a PEN/ESPN Award. The award has only been around for a couple of years, so there aren't that many of them. But I'd recommend every single one of them.

EDIT: I'd have to amend that; Wil Haygood's bio of Sugar Ray Robinson is, much like his bio of Sammy Davis Jr., a total **bleep**, an example of how never to write biography, and a book that I wanted to throw at the wall for much of the time I read it. Which is a shame, because there's a hell of a lot of brilliant boxing writing out there.

• StratoSlacker
            StratoSlacker commented
            Editing a comment

My least fav is Bill Littlefield from NPR's Only A Game.  His cutesy sports rhymes and lymerics are douchey and make me angry.  

Dick Schaap was a favorite. Great storyteller and raconteur. The guy seemed to know everyone in sports. His son, Jeremy, is a good sportswriter in his own right.

Helene Elliott writes about the Kings (NHL) for the L.A. Times. Fantastic writer with a great knowledge of the game, very evenhanded, and pulls no punches when they're sucking. She was the first female sportswriter elected to the Hockey HOF. They got her off the Kings beat for a while and into columnist work, but now she's focusing on the Kings again.

I used to really enjoy Jim Murray's columns in the L.A. Times going way back. He was a real old school guy who wrote rings around guys half his age. He was like an encyclopedia of sports knowledge. One of the giants of mid-to-late 20th century sportswriting.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
          Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox