X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Norsegod
    View Post

Just found this while searching around for the chords to Deacon Blues, pretty cool.

Does anyone have a good source for accurate chords to Deacon Blues??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_2r9zbaIY

Awesome video. Fagen is virtuoso. Almost makes me want to go fire up the keyboards. Almost!
    I'm just sayin'

Wanna read the finest freedom fantasy of all time? --> http://www.abelard.org/e-f-russell.php

Comment

Oops, double post.
      "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."
      - Robert Fripp

Comment

Great thread, now I can play along to the song. I will have to learn Jay Graydon
        - Robert Fripp

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zetor
          View Post

Great thread, now I can play along to the song. I will have to learn Jay Graydon
          Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv

It's in the Toby Wine book. The more I study the solos on Steely Dan the less I like them.

I
            - Robert Fripp

Comment

I

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I can get behind you re: Becker
                - Robert Fripp

Comment

You got a really nice rhythm section there, Walter.... oke:
                  LeftyTom

It is not what you play, but THAT you play.

Comment

Denny Dias (and in this case Jay Graydon) are just wheedly wheedly garden variety shredders who play too many notes and don't make any of them matter. They aren't very melodic and there's no harmonic invention - they're just playing over the existing backing track, which is built to support the vocal line (and they refuse to play the vocal line).

This is what happens when children eat paint chips.
                    Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

For some reason most of my favorite SD songs are on Countdown to Ecstasy. Not all of them, but most.
                      I don't want to sell my music. I'd like to give it away because where I got it, you didn't have to pay for it.
                      -Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet)

Comment

For some reason most of my favorite SD songs are on Countdown to Ecstasy. Not all of them, but most.

My favorite Steely Dan album.

Originally Posted by danuniversal

So, you give more importance to a few minutes of sex than to hours of delight coexisting with her, watching her, dreaming with her, playing with her, loving her...

Comment

^^^

And that may well be my favorite song of theirs. It's certainly the one that made me finally pay attention to the band as players and songwriters after years of dismissing them as overly-polished, overproduced fusion bull****************.

There's still a good deal of SD that doesn't do anything for me, but the stuff that gets me really gets me.
                          I don't want to sell my music. I'd like to give it away because where I got it, you didn't have to pay for it.
                          -Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet)

Comment

I'm a big fan of their early 70's live bootlegs. This one always kills me. Love MM on the backup vocals.

Comment

I'm a big fan of their early 70's live bootlegs. This one always kills me. Love MM on the backup vocals.

That was pretty cool. I hadn't heard any of the bootlegs before - listening to this now.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I have that, St Louis, New Orleans, UK, and the Record Plant bootlegs in my car. It's my favorite Steely Dan period. Back then they were a raw rock band with jazz leanings who had an ear for a hook. Denny and Jeff worked seamlessly blending country, rock, and bop, Fagan's voice was strong and idiosyncratic, Michael McDonald was the man, and Jeff Porcaro was fierce.

This was back when hipsters were cool.

Comment

• Working...
                                  X