Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country Guitarists

I'm trying to find some good country guitarists or more importantly specific albums to check out.

I'm a big Brad Paisley fan but not much else in mainstream modern country suits me. I've got Brent Mason's Hot Wired and Johnny Hiland's self-titled. I tried to use Brad Paisley's Cluserpluck as a stepping off point to check out the players on their but I'm hoping maybe someone could suggest some specific albums from those guys or any other great country guys for that matter. For anyone interested these are the people I'm referring too:

James Burton

Vince Gill

Albert Lee

John Jorgenson

Brent Mason

Redd Volkaert

Steve Wariner

but I'm very open to suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

chet atkins

tommy emmanual (sort of.....more acoustic super performer)

roy clark

glenn campbell

jerry reed

ricky scaggs

danny gatton

these guys are ALL monsters

"If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
    I woulda wrote a better song "
    member Mazi Bee Militia
    Talk Box Brigade
    Gretsch Guards
    Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

• Bucky Goldstein
      Bucky Goldstein commented
      Editing a comment

MONGOOZ wrote:

chet atkins

tommy emmanual (sort of.....more acoustic super performer)

roy clark

glenn campbell

jerry reed

ricky scaggs

danny gatton

these guys are ALL monsters

gooz!

If you like Paisley, I would assume that Keith Urban would be acceptable as well... Not a fan?

He's twice the songwriter and player that Paisley is IMO... His early rock-n-roll stuff is amazing (YouTube is your friend on that)

Guitar Jam is an uncomfortable place. Full of satan worship and vulgarity.

Comment

• mh0520
      mh0520 commented
      Editing a comment

karma279 wrote:

If you like Paisley, I would assume that Keith Urban would be acceptable as well... Not a fan?

He's twice the songwriter and player that Paisley is IMO... His early rock-n-roll stuff is amazing (YouTube is your friend on that)

I actually haven't really liked much of what I've listened of his but I'll try to find some earlier stuff. A better songwriter probably but I'd argue the guitar player aspect of it. Though, I think that's pretty debatable. More just that I prefer Brad Paisley but I haven't heard a lot of Keith Urban's stuff; maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

Thanks for the tips, though. Much appreciated.

The Hellecasters first album is a must in this genre. Killer songs, fantastic playing, and cool interplay between John Jorgenson, Will Ray, and Jerry Donahue. Jerry Donahue's Telecasting Recast is very good as well.

The 900 lb. gorilla of the genre was Danny Gatton, of course. Check out any of his stuff and hold on to your hat!

Comment

• Fuzz sissy
      Fuzz sissy commented
      Editing a comment

junior brown

pete anderson

I had learned many Chet Aktins, Glenn Cambell(?), and Jerry Reed tunes when I was younger. But in the early 80's what really opened the door for me on country playing was Ricky Skaggs albums Highways & Heartaches, and Country Boy. Then came Pete Anderson's playing on Dwight Yoakam's Guitars and Cadillacs.

**bleep**, I pulled every lick off those three albums.

PM me about Online One-on-One Guitar Lessons, via Skype and Paypal
    http://lessons.mikedodge.com
    http://www.mikedodge.com
    http://forum.mikedodge.com

Hint for online instructors...play the example in it's entirety, THEN talk about it for 5 minutes.

The only good liberal is a...well, we're still trying to figure out the answer to that one.

Uma is a motorik.

Comment

Working...
    X