Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do we think of this new track from Johnny Marr?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do we think of this new track from Johnny Marr?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2W8aVDxeBY

In related news, I played his signature Jaguar today. WANT.
    "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."
    - Robert Fripp

I Johnny Marr!
    Originally Posted by Motorik

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

Re the video: We get it Johnny, you're in Oregon.

As one would expect from Marr, the song is impeccably played and superbly arranged. It reminds me of Interpol at their skin-tight early-career peak.

I'm not sure he knows how to write a memorable hook anymore, though.
      Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

Basically what you'd expect. Not bad.
        Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zetor
          View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2W8aVDxeBY

In related news, I played his signature Jaguar today. WANT.

He's been kinda generic for nigh on 3 decades now.

He's obviously a great player but I wish he'd stuck to his (genuinely) original style.
          Fast, clean and cheap.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch7
            View Post

He's been kinda generic for nigh on 3 decades now.

He's obviously a great player but I wish he'd stuck to his (genuinely) original style.

Yeah, this. I remember being extremely underwhelmed by his contributions to Modest Mouse, for example.

I kinda think that, having seen himself become the godfather of Britpop, he then decided to become a Britpopper himself. Unfortunately, Britpop became a very boring genre very quickly.
            Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

I want to BE Johnny Marr....

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rusholmeruffian
                View Post

Yeah, this. I remember being extremely underwhelmed by his contributions to Modest Mouse, for example.

I kinda think that, having seen himself become the godfather of Britpop, he then decided to become a Britpopper himself. Unfortunately, Britpop became a very boring genre very quickly.

Truth to tell. I think he'd shot his bolt as an unique talent after the first phenomenal gush of Smiths singles, "How Soon Is Now," "Please,Please, Please" etc. are interesting...but they're **************** all compared to "This Charming Man" or "What Difference Does It Make?"
                Fast, clean and cheap.

Comment

View Post

Truth to tell. I think he'd shot his bolt as an unique talent after the first phenomenal gush of Smiths singles, "How Soon Is Now," "Please,Please, Please" etc. are interesting...but they're **************** all compared to "This Charming Man" or "What Difference Does It Make?"

Idunno, man. "Ask" and "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" are pretty damned ace tracks, both in terms of songwriting and guitaring, and they came close to the end of the Smiths' career. I don't see much of a dropoff in quality from 1983 to 1987.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rusholmeruffian
                    View Post

Idunno, man. "Ask" and "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" are pretty damned ace tracks, both in terms of songwriting and guitaring, and they came close to the end of the Smiths' career. I don't see much of a dropoff in quality from 1983 to 1987.

Same here. The Draize Train ('86?) remains one of those songs I'd wish I'd written/played.

Comment

• Jimmy James
                      Jimmy James commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He's coming on my show next month. I'm getting his new rekkid soon.

View Post

How Soon Is Now? is a seminal work.

(it makes me jizz)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Navigator
                      View Post

Basically what you'd expect. Not bad.

View Post

I enjoyed it, but yeah, those early Smiths singles were special.
                      Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

+1
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/christondre

...the tone sounded like the back of my ass on taco tuesday.

Originally Posted by Flamencology

When life gives you lemons, disrespect them with tongs.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

Comment

I liked it
                          SUPER EVIL INDUSTRIES
                          SUPER EVIL FORUMS
                          Facebook ~ sonik777@hotmail.com
                          "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I have the gift of musical tolerance.

Comment

Not bad.
                            "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

Working...
                            X