Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is busking illegal in many places?

I can understand if you set up some bagpipes, drums or other loud, obnoxious instrument. Or if you are blocking pedestrian traffic.

But other than that, why the crackdown on 'em?

I think it ISN'T illegal in most places in America...freedom of speech kinda thing trumps laws against vagrancy/begging. But it's regulated in some places and you need a permit and crap. My old band made some decent bank last summer busking, it was alot of fun. Great way to spend a nice night downtown.
    Originally Posted by rhino55

hi.flyer is to banjo as gennation is to fat whores

Comment

Because it's a pain in the ass, it makes people uncomfortable, and panhandlers can drive away shoppers.
      Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

http://www.last.fm/user/pinkfreudHC

Comment

Because SAXOPHONE.

Comment

I can understand if you set up some bagpipes, drums or other loud, obnoxious instrument.

Casual racism.
            "You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Comment

Busking is illegal in many places because it is loitering + begging + an instrument (or instruments).
              President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
              Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

I don't see it as begging, though.

A busker isn't actually interacting with someone, asking them for money. All they have is an open case, which you can choose to ignore as you walk by. No one is getting hassled, as opposed to "hey, can you spare a dime?"

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking_(U.S._case_law)

"In the United States there have been numerous legal cases about regulations and laws that have decided the rights of buskers to perform in public. Most of these laws and regulations have been found to be unconstitutional when challenged. In the US, free speech is considered a fundamental right of every individual, guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth constitutional amendments, and in the majority of legal cases it has been concluded that practicing artistic free speech is legal. Busking is legally considered to be artistic free speech and clearly not panhandling or begging."
                  Originally Posted by rhino55

hi.flyer is to banjo as gennation is to fat whores

Comment

Because it's a pain in the ass, it makes people uncomfortable, and panhandlers can drive away shoppers.

Yeah. Sometimes those of us with real jobs need to be able to walk on the sidewalk without tripping over a bunch of smelly hippies with guitars.
                    Brian

"it aint nothin' but a jam"
                    -Jimi Hendrix 10-10-68

Comment

A couple years ago, I saw a guy busking, in Nanaimo I think it was. Even from a distance I could tell it was a cool guitar he was playing. When I got closer I saw it was a ES-5, the original model with three p-90s. Swee-eet.

Comment

In Miami, as we left for lunch, an old black with an Epi Dot and a pignose would play a blues shuffle as wealked by and sing "Goin' to lunch, Gonna have some lunch, Have a good lunch..."

On the way back he'd sing, "Comin' back from lunch, had a good lunch, whatchoo have for lunch?"

I always gave him some money.
                        www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

Because SAXOPHONE.

There used to be a guy who would wander around the Union Square/Market area playing jazz sax all the time and it was awesome, especially at night. It was like being in a detective film.

Comment

He ate all of the crackers, and then he ate all of the cheese.

Comment

When I'm in Nawlins I always busk a bit. Its a tradition.
                              Originally Posted by Notes_Norton

I'm sorry for the rant, but death threats, hate mail, and hundreds of pizzas not picked up really irks me.

Originally Posted by Mossy Moss

I liked you better as your previous alt. Now you're just a giant walking vagina filled with sand and yeast.

Comment

Working...
                              X