Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people realize 10% is NOT an appropriate tip?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did you work in NOLA?

I had an amazing meal at Brennan's although I thought the room itself would be a little more opulent.

A couple of places. The Best was a place called Cafe Sbisa. They never reopened after the hurricane, though.
    Every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass-- Barry Goldwater"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Comment

• how does it not?

teachers get paid low considering how tough the job is and what's expected of them

as do cops, nurses and firefighters

migrant workers might as well work for free.

using the waiters logic why should we not be compensated for low wages too?

those teachers and cops and migrant workers should just stop bitching and get a new better job!

Comment

• can i just take a moment to express my love to Strings and his undying determination to stand behind the servers!

Comment

• I wonder if all the people crabbing about 'having to tip' ever thought of it this way. Being a waiter is the only job in America where the customer gets to pay you whatever they want, and they get to decide after they have used your service.

How many folks would like to go to work every day, and at the end of the day, their boss just decides to pay whatever he felt like paying?

Someone who doesn't tip a waiter for good service has stolen that service.
          Every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass-- Barry Goldwater"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Comment

• how does it not?

teachers get paid low considering how tough the job is and what's expected of them

as do cops, nurses and firefighters

migrant workers might as well work for free.

using the waiters logic why should we not be compensated for low wages too?

Because it's not even logical.

Look, I'm a corporate lawyer. I save no lives, I do no particular good works, I don't protect the environment nor do I help the poor as part of my job. (I do donate to charity in my private life). Hell, I don't even bring you a nice hot meal when you're hungry. I don't heal the sick. I sure as hell don't risk my life. All I do is try to make it so that my company makes as much money as possible without screwing itself in the process. It's not noble work. It's not ignoble. It's just what I do.

And yet on average, we get paid more than all these other professions you mention by a long shot. How is that fair?

The answer is that fair doesn't matter. My company thinks that they get results from my services that justify my salary. In the same way that society is willing to pay waiters 15% of the bill for services rendered. Your comparison to these other jobs is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Comment

• No, I don't think that nor did I say that. I said it was common.

If I ran a restaurant, I would have an automatic tip out percentage as a policy.

So would I, but most don't. Any system where lesser skilled employees control the money and divert it from higher skilled and more deserving employees is a failed system. I would like either the ability to tip the good workers individually, whether they are the busboys, cooks or waiters....., or know for sure that my tip will be distributed appropriately. That's why I'd rather see a 15% increase across the board and eliminate entitlement tips, and restore the concept of tipping excellent service ONLY.

And to be honest, I find most restaurants disappointing. I'm lucky to have a wife who can and does feed our family at as high or higher level of quality than most of the restaurants we try. Of course I like to be pampered from time to time, but I absolutely HATE paying 3 times what the food is worth and have poor service and mediocre food, then having to tip on top of that.
              As I said before, I tip very well when I have a pleasant experience dining out, but those are few and far between. I'd guess the competition in NY and other large cities helps keep the quality level higher than what we tend to get in smaller places.

What is more important, good food or good service? You could be the best, most attentive waiter in the world, but if the food is crap I'm not coming back. I'll usually give a place 3 tries if I get mediocre service, since I may get a different server, but if the food is **************** I will never return.
              RIP Ironmonger

Originally Posted by lawboy

The day you find an Axl Rose song on my iPod will be the day pigs fly and Republicans tell the truth.

Comment

• A couple of places. The Best was a place called Cafe Sbisa. They never reopened after the hurricane, though.

Fook.

I also had a really cool Revillion meal at that martini joint. Crap, I can't remember the name.

Comment

• Someone who doesn't tip a waiter for good service has stolen that service.

alternatively owners of these places could start paying them a fair wage.

minimum wage here is about
                  good deals with: kpd78, kid A, sg1, chucknorris1982, red riviera, pott, heartfelt dawn

Comment

• Yes....

as a customer I walk into a diner and spend eight dollars for a couple eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and a piece of toast then leave a couple dollars on the table...If I do this five days a week at breakfast and lunch, I'm spending 100 bucks a week without even thinking about what I'll spend on dinner.

Crpdeth

Comment

• it comes down to this for me anyways....

when i waited tables, i got ZERRRRROOOOOO on my paycheck.
                      youve also gotta consider another thing.. when you work at a restaurant, it isnt just a clock in and start making money till you clock out job...

there is alot of side work, and also, you dont work and make 20 dollars and hour for 8 hours straight... there are lunch hours and dinner hours.. so in between there is no money to be me made.. you might say, hey he makes 15 bucks an hour! but thats only for three hours... you tell me how you are gonna support your kids on 45 bucks a day?

i think someone covered it already earlier...

you can feel unhappy about the tipping system in America, but until we all agree to change it, and pay the waiters a flatrate (which will never work, cause restaurants cant afford it; its why restaurants go out of business all the time.. they just cant get enough business to cover the overhead) then it doesnt matter. people are bitching about the cooks not getting tippped.. for the most part, they are either getting payed 10+ and they CHOSE that job, just as we did. so they dont get tips. but they dont have to deal with the customers.. ya see? its a trade off...

i dont think any server has the right the bitch if they are horrible servers (well, they have the right, but they wont ever realize why they are getting bad tips; and ive worked with PLENTY of these types) but its simply a system and if everyone just went on their own little "smokin joe" system, id only be making 4 dollars an hour (since apparently, i already get paid 7 )

Comment

• Incidentally, I've never heard of cooks getting tipped out before.

In New Orleans, the breakdown went like this:

5% to the Maitre D
                        15% to the Busser
                        5% to the bartender
                        $1 per customer to the food runner

That's a percentage of the tips, not percentage of sales.

Thus, on a typical night, I needed to bring in about $130-140 in order to go home with $100.

Comment

• can i just take a moment to express my love to Strings and his undying determination to stand behind the servers!

*chuckle*

Like I said, big pet peeve.

Keep in mind though that on the flipside I do have high standards for waiters and tend to get really annoyed when I know they're not trying or just going through the motions.

Comment

• alternatively owners of these places could start paying them a fair wage.

minimum wage here is about

Comment

• So would I, but most don't. Any system where lesser skilled employees control the money and divert it from higher skilled and more deserving employees is a failed system. I would like either the ability to tip the good workers individually, whether they are the busboys, cooks or waiters....., or know for sure that my tip will be distributed appropriately. That's why I'd rather see a 15% increase across the board and eliminate entitlement tips, and restore the concept of tipping excellent service ONLY.

And to be honest, I find most restaurants disappointing. I'm lucky to have a wife who can and does feed our family at as high or higher level of quality than most of the restaurants we try. Of course I like to be pampered from time to time, but I absolutely HATE paying 3 times what the food is worth and have poor service and mediocre food, then having to tip on top of that.
                              As I said before, I tip very well when I have a pleasant experience dining out, but those are few and far between. I'd guess the competition in NY and other large cities helps keep the quality level higher than what we tend to get in smaller places.

What is more important, good food or good service? You could be the best, most attentive waiter in the world, but if the food is crap I'm not coming back. I'll usually give a place 3 tries if I get mediocre service, since I may get a different server, but if the food is **************** I will never return.

Food is most important but bad service will crush a restaurant within months.

I hear ya but you're not just paying for the hunk of tuna on your plate, you're paying for everything else that goes into creating a restaurant but that's obvious.

Comment

• How the hell does a migrant worker, a cop or a teacher or anyone else have anything else to do with tipping a waiter. Do you think that by not tipping a waiter you are helping these other "more deserving" people?

Are you giving them the extra? Are you donating it to charity? This is absurd.

Again, why is the food service industry alone in the pay ****************, let them earn tips dept? There are plenty of service industry jobs where REAL service is rendered, yet tipping is unheard of. When the IT guy at your job fixes your printer, do you slip him a $5? The clerk at the store that helps you find the perfect gift for your G/F.... a $20, since you're likely to get laid?

Maybe the tow truck driver that pulls your sorry ass out of a rain swolen ditch?

Nope.

Just food service, and then ONLY if they write your order on a pad AND carry your plate from the counter and actually find your table.

Ridiculous.

Pay them a decent wage and be done with it.
                                RIP Ironmonger

Originally Posted by lawboy

The day you find an Axl Rose song on my iPod will be the day pigs fly and Republicans tell the truth.

Comment

• Working...
                                  X