Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Brain Pain with Chick Corea

I find that following Al Jarreau's lyric and vocal line helps with the phrasing for the riff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRbtvRQUi8w

I practiced the riff, got the chord progression down, and even worked up an R&B treatment of the chords that I thought was kind of slinky. I show up at my lesson, play my stuff, we talk a little bit about hand positioning to get the slurs to work better, and then my teacher says - "yeah, but the thing I really wanted you to get out of this is all the really hip chord substitutions that Chick plays underneath the solos."

Now my brain hurts ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q52r7xMd3U
    Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfIOuF2o-rY

Comment

Thanks for that Flame. I've never heard that.

That's how ya take a standard and play with it....Very cool....never understood the McFerrin hate btw.
      "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv
        View Post

and then my teacher says - "yeah, but the thing I really wanted you to get out of this is all the really hip chord substitutions that Chick plays underneath the solos."

So did he show you the hip subs?
        "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr
          View Post

Same time, next week.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I can never remember how to play this song. Every time I learn it I stop playing it for a long time and forget how to play it. It really bugs me.
            Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

I'll probably be playing this tonight. I noticed that if transplanted part of Nuno Bettencourt's solo from "Hip Today, Gone Tomorrow" it works really well over the ii-V-I-IV starting at E-7. Weird, since Nuno's thing is in 7/8. Here it is for anyone who cares.

Here's a recording of me playing with that and a few other ideas.

Spain

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

This has been an interesting series of threads so far. Keep it up!

I was at a jazz camp a few years ago. Most teenagers there seemed to be able to burn through Spain.
                "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."
                - Robert Fripp

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zetor
                  View Post

This has been an interesting series of threads so far. Keep it up!

I was at a jazz camp a few years ago. Most teenagers there seemed to be able to burn through Spain.

I think it's a pretty easy song to 'burn through', given intermediate skills, but the trick (for me, anyway) is to stop thinking melodically; focus on the rhythms and the harmonic content, and the rest will take care of itself.

I hate playing it, though; it's fun, and people like it, but it's tired, I'm sick of hearing it, and it was never a great platform for improvisation or reinvention in the first place, in the way that the best standards are. When I'm playing ""Caravan", i don't feel like I'm in a cover band; with "Spain", I do. It's limited and constraining. I don't mean that as a slight; you could say the same for jazz interpretations of the Beatles or Bach. It's a pop tune.

Comment

• Honkridge
                    Honkridge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good call. I never was crazy about this tune but, jesus christ, we played this ad nauseum in college.

You can take it as a "shred in D' platform, and a lot of guitarists (and bassists ) do choose to approach it that way. Digging into the Spanish harmony and the Latin rhythm is what I'm more focused on for this week.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Opposite Day
                    View Post

I'll probably be playing this tonight. I noticed that if transplanted part of Nuno Bettencourt's solo from "Hip Today, Gone Tomorrow" it works really well over the ii-V-I-IV starting at E-7. Weird, since Nuno's thing is in 7/8. Here it is for anyone who cares.

Here's a recording of me playing with that and a few other ideas.

Spain

Very nicely executed. I'm going to try out that riff a little later today.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv
                      View Post

You can take it as a "shred in D' platform, and a lot of guitarists (and bassists ) do choose to approach it that way. Digging into the Spanish harmony and the Latin rhythm is what I'm more focused on for this week.

Michel Camilo and Tomatito do a nice take on one of their duet albums, IIRC.

YouTube is so reliable sometimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqYpInWVf4A

Comment

and so unreliable other times. :O

David Grisman?

http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/david...96/track/spain

-Coco Chanel

Comment

and so unreliable other times

David Grisman's wacky mandolin version?

http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/david...96/track/spain

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr
                            View Post

Ok, so you have 2 ii-V-I groups in the chord progression, the first in a major (Em7-A7-Dmaj7) and the second in a minor (C#7-F#7-Bm).

Suggested subs major: Am9-D13-G6/9

Suggested subs minor: C#m9b5-F#7b9b13-Bm6/9 or C#m9b5-F#7b9b13-Bm(maj7)

-Coco Chanel

Comment

• gennation
                              gennation commented
                              Editing a comment

rsadasiv wrote:

QuoteOriginally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
                              Ok, so you have 2 ii-V-I groups in the chord progression, the first in a major (Em7-A7-Dmaj7) and the second in a minor (C#7-F#7-Bm).

Suggested subs major: Am9-D13-G6/9
                              Suggested subs minor: C#m9b5-F#7b9b13-Bm6/9 or C#m9b5-F#7b9b13-Bm(maj7)

Don't over think it...

Em7-A7-Dmaj7 = B Minor

C#7-F#7-Bm = B Minor

And all the other chords, yep = B Minor

B7 = B Major

Learn that Minor to Major move.

Working...
                          X