X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar World's Top 10 Classic Shred Albums

http://www.guitarworld.com/top-10-classic-shred-albums

10. Greg Howe (Shrapnel, 1988) Greg HoweA funk-savvy speedster, Greg Howe injected the shred scene with some much-needed shake and soul. The funkdafied

Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

So much potential, so little music. :sad:

Comment

• Jimmy James
      Jimmy James commented
      Editing a comment

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

Because your guitar playing is so much better than Tony MacAlpine's and Greg Howe's.

• CGord
      CGord commented
      Editing a comment

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

Right? As good of players as they were (are), most of the Shrapnel records were just ****************.

Those are 10 albums that I will never buy. Jimmy James can buy two of each to make up for me.

www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

• Mav64
      Mav64 commented
      Editing a comment

Nice to see Tony and Vinnie getting some love...Passion and Warfare is still probably my fave of those...

• rhino55
      rhino55 commented
      Editing a comment

fanuvbrak wrote:

Those are 10 albums that I will never buy. Jimmy James can buy two of each to make up for me.

better make that three

Jimmy James wrote:

10. Greg Howe (Shrapnel, 1988) Greg HoweA funk-savvy speedster, Greg Howe injected the shred scene with some much-needed shake and soul. The funkdafied

Comment

I approve of that list, no least because it doesn't mention Eddie the Van

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Jammity, you might be having better results at TGP, in part, because those folks are a little older. The bulk of the records on this list came out while I (and many folks here) was in grade school. We have no fond memories of these albums because we have no fond memories. And by the time I started buying records in earnest as a young teen, this style had gone very out of fashion.

Know yr audience!

Comment

• Calum
          Calum commented
          Editing a comment

I just don't like shred.

• Jimmy James
          Jimmy James commented
          Editing a comment

Good Clean Fun wrote:
          Jammity, you might be having better results at TGP, in part, because those folks are a little older. The bulk of the records on this list came out while I (and many folks here) was in grade school. We have no fond memories of these albums because we have no fond memories. And by the time I started buying records in earnest as a young teen, this style had gone very out of fashion.

Know yr audience!

Just speak for yourself son.

They have no love for Buckethead.

Fast, clean and cheap.

Comment

• SnarkAttack
          SnarkAttack commented
          Editing a comment
          "What are ten albums have never listened to? I'll take Musically Irrelivant for 200, Alex."

• noisebloom
          noisebloom commented
          Editing a comment

Scratch7 wrote:

I'm a big fan of the big man, and I have trouble finding an album of his that belongs on this list. Maybe Giant Robot, as a default pick.  Maybe Bucketheadland 2.  I'm not sure.

• Jimmy James
          Jimmy James commented
          Editing a comment

Scratch7 wrote:

Note the word "Classic."

Jimmy James wrote:

Here's my gear:
        Amps
        Engl SE EL34; Engl Powerball V1; Marshall JCM 800 2204 Cameron Aldrich Mod;Mesa Triaxis V2.0;Mesa 50/50 Power amp;Carvin Legacy Head;Lee Jackson XLA 1000;ADA MP1, Mesa and Marshall Cabs
        Guitars
        Guild x170;Ibanez Universe;Ibanez Usa Custom;Ibanez prestige 2020x;Ibanez RG760;Fender USA B-Bender Tele;Kramer Focus 3000;Ovation Legend;Alverez 12 string;Fender J Bass Fretless

Comment

Good names, all.

I probably would have picked an earlier example of Racer X, though, like Street Lethal. I heard that one before I heard Vinnie Moore. I heard Steve Vai's Flex-Able a little before that, but Passion and Warfare is the more accomplished record, without a doubt.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
          Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

I bought Surfing with the Alien back in the day. I marvelled at the fingerwork but overall it was meh.

I traded it off for something better.

Wheedly wee wee with neither beat nor melody does not get it.

copGive me the beat boys and free my soul

Attached Files

Comment

• Jimmy James
              Jimmy James commented
              Editing a comment

cx04332 wrote:

I bought Surfing with the Alien back in the day. I marvelled at the fingerwork but overall it was meh.

Oh well.  No life time subscription to Guitar Player Magazine for you.  Try Suburban Recipes Magazine.

Attached Files

• CGord
              CGord commented
              Editing a comment

cx04332 wrote:

It's named because it's the album that broke him. Personally, my favorite is Flying in a Blue Dream. The songs are more cohesive, more important than just backing tracks for him to jack off over the top of.

Also, Uncle Cracker sucks.

Attached Files

Working...
          X