Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying flowers. For a dude.

So, if a hypothetical co-worker's father passed away, and somebody around the lunch table at work mentioned collectively "doing something" for said co-worker, and the something that was mentioned happened to be sending flowers...would that strike anyone as awkward if the co-worker was:

a) male

b) heterosexual

c) a coach

d) a football, baseball and basketball fan 

e) a man who eats hot dogs without shame (and actually enjoys them)

Because where I come from, men don't buy men flowers, for any reason, even as part of a shared gift. Cards are bad enough, but at least they are personalized. 

In my mind it has less to do with the fact that giving flowers summons images of romance (bromance?) than with the fact that flowers would be less welcome than virtually any other gift one could get a thoroughly non-metrosexual male: a brace of steaks, a twelve pack, a book of golf jokes.

Opinions please.

You send the flowers to the funeral home.

Comment

Also, this is probably the weirdest most in the closet masculinity panic freak out of a thread in HCGJ's long and storied history of such weirdness. Congrats. You out Jimmy Jamesed Jimmy James.

Comment

• Barry_Blink_a_lot
        Barry_Blink_a_lot commented
        Editing a comment
        Make sure that if you go to the wake, you don't hug him or even shake his hand--just kind of clap him on the shoulder.

Clearly you'll want to make up a fake GF and sign the card for both of you.

Comment

Chest bump. And don't invite him to join you at the bathhouse for a week or so--out of respect, you know?
        Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

• clay sails
          clay sails commented
          Editing a comment
          See, these responses are exactly the sort of perspective I seek in posting a thread like this. I'm just not much comfortable relating to anyone, let alone casual acquaintences with whom I barely discuss the weather, about Heavy **************** like death. But, given the circumstances, I cant help but imagine a few scenarios upon his return regarding the outcome of giving him flowers over something else. Such as:

SCENARIO 1:
          Me: Sorry to hear about your old man.
          Him: Yeah, thanks. And thanks for the, um, flowers.
          Me: Well, it was the least we could do. I hope you liked the colors n' stuff.
          Him: Sure, yeah. The colors.
          [feet shuffling, awkward silence, etc]

vs.

SCENARIO 2
          Him: Yeah, thanks. And thanks also for the Balvenie. Me & my brothers sat around after the funeral drinking it & talking.
          Me: Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The staff thought that would be a better gift than flowers.
          Him: We got a lot of flowers.

or

SCENARIO 3
          Him: Yeah, thanks. And thanks for the book of golf jokes. Me and my brothers sat around after the funeral & read golf jokes.
          Me: Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
          Him: It was good to have something to laugh at.

etc.

Next time I lose a family member, there's definitely going to be a "in lieu of flowers, please make leave a nice bottle of red or donate your old comedy records" sign.

Comment

• DdBob
          DdBob commented
          Editing a comment

buy him a bottle of Scotch instead.......

oh an SIIHP of course.

The flowers wouldn't be just for him. They would be for his mother and anybody else who was grieving at the funeral home. I personally would much prefer the whiskey, but unless you know that's a good idea, that might not be the best way to go. He or one of his brothers could be on the wagon.

Comment

It's more hopeless that a man can't toe the line and chip in for the societal standard token gift for an event on account of gay panic.

"A colleague is retiring, and the boss gave him a gold watch. Seems a little gay, a man buying another man jewelry..."
        Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

• 2manband
          2manband commented
          Editing a comment

Chicken Monkey wrote:
          It's more hopeless that a man can't toe the line and chip in for the societal standard token gift for an event on account of gay panic.

"A colleague is retiring, and the boss gave him a gold watch. Seems a little gay, a man buying another man jewelry..."

SRSLY.  Or to run screaming from what the guy actually wants (gifts to the church instead). 

• clay sails
          clay sails commented
          Editing a comment

Chicken Monkey wrote:

Because nothing says "I care" more than chipping in on a lame group gift.

Working...
      X