Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Wahlberg: Good Actor?

watched The Fighter a few days ago. enjoyable movie.

im never sure about the Funky Bunch though. he seems great in some movies, and terrible in others.

my theory, if the movie is bad, his acting seems bad. if the movie is good, his acting seems good. his acting doesnt change, our perception changes based on the context of his acting.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

we're just at the beginning of the Bon Iver revolution

He's not an actor, he's a hollywood star....

O.k., he's an actor, but with very limited skills....very limited....
    "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

He's solid in everything. Even the crap like Planet of the Apes. He's even better in The Departed. I thought he was the weak link in The Fighter but still solid.
      Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Meh. He always plays the scowling, beat the odds manlyman....his range is pitiful....
        "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Meh. He always plays the scowling, beat the odds manlyman....his range is pitiful....

Oh, like in Date Night?

Comment

Horrible, horrible actor.

I've enjoyed some of his movies despite this, the same way I found a way to enjoy "The Matrix" despite Keanu Reeves.

Comment

Horrible, horrible actor.

I've enjoyed some of his movies despite this, the same way I found a way to enjoy "The Matrix" despite Keanu Reeves.

Did you like Boogie Nights?

Comment

Oh, like in Date Night?

That is exactly what he played in Date Night, IIRC. The only difference is that it was a small role so we didn't get to see him beat the odds

I did like him in Boogie Nights, though. He was perfect for the role, IMO.
                The North remembers...

Comment

Did you like Boogie Nights?

I thought it was decent. Wahlberg didn't seem like he had to do too much acting. Dirk Diggler was written as a half-wit.

Comment

I like him - but he needs a good director to become passable. I'd never call him a great actor, he's a bit of a poor mans Matt Damon.
                    Octomom is my favorite Xmen

Comment

That is exactly what he played in Date Night, IIRC. The only difference is that it was a small role so we didn't get to see him beat the odds

I did like him in Boogie Nights, though. He was perfect for the role, IMO.

So let me get this straight. His role in Date Night, The Departed, and Boogie Nights is all the same character?

Comment

So let me get this straight. His role in Date Night, The Departed, and Boogie Nights is all the same character?

He comes from the Sean Connery School Of Acting. Every role that Mark Wahlberg plays, he plays as Mark Wahlberg. And Mark Wahlberg just isn't that talented as an actor.

Comment

Didn't say that. Hope this helps.
                          The North remembers...

Comment

Why aren't you mentioning "Max Payne", in which Mark Wahlberg gave a masterful performance as "Mark Wahlberg"?

Comment

He comes from the Sean Connery School Of Acting. Every role that Mark Wahlberg plays, he plays as Mark Wahlberg. And Mark Wahlberg just isn't that talented as an actor.

Most actors in Hollywood play variations of the same character. It's a niche or what casting directors call a type. When he's cast well he's pretty good, when he's cast badly he's so-so. I thought he was miscast in The Fighter, but it was his baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X