Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any experience with the Marshall Haze amp?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any experience with the Marshall Haze amp?

I don't really need one, but you know how that goes.  One has been popping up on craigslist for awhile now.  Price seems fair.  At home I usually use a Blackstar HT-5 and sometimes the fact that it doesn't have reverb bugs me sometimes.  I do have a chinese made Vox AC15, but it can't get the dirt I like at a low volume so I rarely use it.

The reviews on youtube of the Haze aren't very impressive, but a lot of that might be the guy playing it. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

I used to use a Tubejuice attenutator with my AC15. With that you can get early Led Zep types of drive at conversation volume. If you live in the US it won't cost you a lot either.

http://www.tubejuiceattenuators.com/

It simply pisses all over the Weber stuff, IMHO.

Bloofer Lady Scooter Ride

Comment

• Drummer44
      Drummer44 commented
      Editing a comment

Which Haze, combo or stack?

I tried the Haze 15 stack, and I thought it sounded good... decent effects (at least for my purposes), nice clean channel, good warm tones, etc.

But it also came with a built-in 60-Hz (or so) hum that I couldn't live with.  Tested all sorts of stuff here (ground loops, guitar cables, various guitars, etc.) and at least determined it wasn't the speakers, the guitars, or the cables.  Sent the head back for a new one (think it was MF, but in any case great customer service, quick swap)...  The new head hummed too.  Sent it all back.

Too bad, too, 'cause I really wanted to like it.  The individual component weights were much easier on me than a combo would be, the power (wattage, etc.) is right in the range I was trying to fill, and so forth...

Since then, I heard one in the Sam Ashe in Indy, and as near as I could tell in their big open room, it had no hum.  We didn't pull it into a quiet room, though, to see for sure... and I didn't have room in the car to bring it back home with me, anyway.

-D44

• Yer Blues
      Yer Blues commented
      Editing a comment

Monson wrote:

I used to use a Tubejuice attenutator with my AC15. With that you can get early Led Zep types of drive at conversation volume. If you live in the US it won't cost you a lot either.

http://www.tubejuiceattenuators.com/

It simply pisses all over the Weber stuff, IMHO.

I think the AC15 just isn't for me.  I have an older Boogie I gig with, but at home I use a Blackstar HT-5 when I want to play dirty.  Doesn't sound like the Haze is really for me either.

I am curious about the attenuator though.  Two of my recent favorite guitarist (Jimmy Herring and Phil X), both seem to use one when playing live.  I got an old JCM800 that is just too loud, but I wonder what it would sound like wih the attenuator going into a 1x12 cab?

Working...
X