• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Bruford

Good.

"You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Well, duh.

I have a copy of his autobiography that I need to get around to finishing.  He's a good writer.

Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

• Calum
      Calum commented
      Editing a comment

rusholmeruffian wrote:

Well, duh.

I have a copy of his autobiography that I need to get around to finishing.  He's a good writer.

I'm reading it just now which is what made me think to post that. He is a good writer although he does come across as a bt of an arse at times. 

another episode of Things Beyond Neil Peart's Comprehension

Comment

• Jimmy James
      Jimmy James commented
      Editing a comment

rickenvox wrote:

You've met Neil Peart?

• melvinspeed
      melvinspeed commented
      Editing a comment

rickenvox wrote:

I think Neil can "comprehend" Bill...

CI: Who are some of your favorite drummers?

NP: I have a lot. Bill Bruford is one of my favorite drummers. I admire him for a whole variety of reasons. I like the stuff he plays, and the way he plays it. I like the music he plays within all the bands he's been in. There were a lot of drummers that at different stages of my ability, I've looked up to. Starting way back with Keith Moon. He was one of my favorite mentors. It's hard to decide what drummers taught you what things. Certainly Moon gave me a new idea of the freedom and that there was no need to be a fundamentalist. I really liked his approach to putting crash cymbals in the middle of a roll. Then I got into a more disciplined style later on as I gained a little more understanding on the technical side. People like Carl Palmer, Phil Collins, Michael Giles the first drummer from King Crimson, and of course Bill, were all influences. There's a guy named Kevin Ellman who played with Todd Rundgren's Utopia for a while. I don't know what happened to him. He was the first guy I heard lean into the concert toms. Nicky Mason from Pink Floyd has a different style. Very simplistic yet ultra tasteful. Always the right thing in the right place. I heard concert toms from Mason first, then I heard Kevin Ellman who put all his arms into it. You learn so many things here and there. There are a lot of drummers we work with, Tommy Aldridge from the Pat Travers Band is a very good drummer. I should keep a list of all the drummers that I admire.

NP first MD interview - 1980

I loved the book, but then again, I typically find the tell-all books about backstage antics very dull. I got a lot out of it even though I don

"Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."
    - Robert Fripp

Comment

• Jimmy James
      Jimmy James commented
      Editing a comment

What's the point of rock musicians writing books if they don't talk about all the wild and crazy ass **************** we'll never do?  

Is GJ the most mundane guitar forum on the planet or what?  Maybe John Lennon should have written a book about how to bake bread.  

Working...
X