Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody played with a band that uses a click track live and uses tracks?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody played with a band that uses a click track live and uses tracks?

I'm talking to a guy who has programmed a light show and the use of some snyth tracks by use of a click track.  He is the drummer.  A click track is essentially like a metronome, right?  You can still improvise parts as long as it is in time with a click track?

From the videos the light show looks very cool.  Not sure about the synth tracks though.  I'll have to see it first hand.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Yeah.  A click track is basically a metronome/time-keeping device.  In fact, if the drummer is playing to the click and yr playing with the drummer, you might not even need to hear the click yrself. 

In my experience, guitarists and bassists who aren't used to playing to a click can get a little wigged out when they first try (usually in a studio with the clock running--fun!).  I much prefer to play to a drum beat than a steady metronimic click.

Comment

• rhino55
      rhino55 commented
      Editing a comment

Good Clean Fun wrote:

Yeah.  A click track is basically a metronome/time-keeping device.  In fact, if the drummer is playing to the click and yr playing with the drummer, you might not even need to hear the click yrself. 

In my experience, guitarists and bassists who aren't used to playing to a click can get a little wigged out when they first try (usually in a studio with the clock running--fun!).  I much prefer to play to a drum beat than a steady metronimic click.

yup

I've played with a couple drummers that use a click.  I let them worry about that and just play with them.

Yes you can improvise around the click. But with programmed tracks, you can't extend sections of the song. Your 16 bar solo better not go to 24 or 32 bars as the lights and backing tracks are programmed to change after 16.
    R.I.P. Marko46 -- You are missed.

My 1988 Pearl MX Monster

Originally Posted by RumStik

You can't pick someone else's pedal anymore than you can dictate his scrotum wrinkle.

Comment

• Yer Blues
      Yer Blues commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks for the responses.  That is exactly the info I was looking for. 

His light show is pretty sick.  It must be a lot of work to program that for a 4 hour coverband thing.

• mattburnside
      mattburnside commented
      Editing a comment

melvinspeed wrote:
      Yes you can improvise around the click. But with programmed tracks, you can't extend sections of the song. Your 16 bar solo better not go to 24 or 32 bars as the lights and backing tracks are programmed to change after 16.

This will be the deciding factor, really. I'd totally give it a whirl if I were playing with the right people, but I tend to somehow wind up playing with singers who like to lay back for an extra four bars before coming in for that last verse and so on. Not that this is a bad thing, I enjoy the spontaneity, but that would knock the wheels off really quickly.

Anybody know if Moon is playing to a click in this video, or if he just has the arpeggiator in his cans? Of course, they're all so coked up he could be listening to a dentist's drill.

Every label act I ever worked with in rehearsal and at the gig used a click. If you play pop, it's just what you do.

"Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Mr.Wiz
      Mr.Wiz commented
      Editing a comment

3shiftgtr wrote:

Every label act I ever worked with in rehearsal and at the gig used a click. If you play pop, it's just what you do.

Depends, I've worked with some that did and some that didn't. Usually the players were good enough that it really didn't make any difference either way. A friend was Cher's drummer through the 90's even with her massive production he said they never used a click.

No offense to sad nav, but he's not really in the target demo for cover bands with light shows. No bar owner I've ever booked with asked if I had the doughy, 30 something over educated married draft beer drinking Midwesterner demographic locked down.
    Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

• Good Clean Fun
      Good Clean Fun commented
      Editing a comment

They prolly just assumed that you did given yr membership in said demographic.

• mattburnside
      mattburnside commented
      Editing a comment

Chicken Monkey wrote:
      over educated

One of those phrases that makes absolutely no sense to me.

• rhino55
      rhino55 commented
      Editing a comment

Chicken Monkey wrote:
      No offense to sad nav, but he's not really in the target demo for cover bands with light shows. No bar owner I've ever booked with asked if I had the doughy, 30 something over educated married draft beer drinking Midwesterner demographic locked down.

I've seen him drink whiskey.  Just saying.

Working...
X