Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like this guitar and is it worth $800?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like this guitar and is it worth $800?

Is this cool?

1977 Gibson L-6 Deluxe, (front), (back), (headstock), (pickups)  One of the rather short-lived L-solidbody series which went through several changes during its '73-'79 run.  Despite a number of name players (Al Di Meola, Carlos Santana, Pat Martino, John McLaughlin, Keith Richards, Mike Oldfield, to name a few) who endorsed the model, it never really caught on and wasn't  big seller.  Considered by many to be the best Gibson solidbody ever made, it was reissued in 2011 in a version with a standard ABR-1 bridge, stop tailpiece, rotary tone selector, and 490R/498T humbuckers.  The original version featured Bill Lawrence designed "Superhumbuckers" which have been replaced on this guitar, likely a long time ago, by an old set of DiMarzio's.   I do have an old set of the Lawrence pickups in my spares (shown here) with the black covers which were correct for this year (earlier models had chrome).  Other than the pickups, this baby is all original and is a surprisingly good guitar.  Martin had it on his bench for a few hours and really enjoyed the tone of the all-maple design with these DiMarzio's.  The maple is unstained, which is the most popular color for this model as it's the one closely associated with Santana.  Features include contoured maple body that's an exaggerated LP shape, with a very deep cutaway for easy access to the top frets.  It's worth noting that the L6 was Gibson's first 24-fret model.  Other features are unusual and inexplicable "house"-shaped pickup rings, wide Schaller adjustable bridge without a tailpiece, strings-thru body, decal model/serial on back of headstock (used '75-'77), Gibson/Schaller tuners with Keystone buttons, screened logo on black-painted headstock, 3-piece maple neck, rosewood fretboard with MOP dot inlays.  Pickups are an old DiMarzio PAF double-cream in the neck with what appears to be an early version of a Super Distortion with black bottom and no line dividing the two coils.  They're excellent sounding pickup and, although we'll be happy to change to the Bill Lawrence for a slight charge, I don't remember liking the Lawrence as much as these.  Cosmetically, it's in very nice vintage condition as you can see in the pics.  Original low/wide frets are in great shape and with a very straight neck it sets up with commendable action.  For a quality USA Gibson, especially one that's rather highly touted, it's a nice buy at $799, including a hardshell case.  

Attached Files
    www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Maybe and probably.

"You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Comment

Yes and yes, although I would probably prefer a korina PRS Mira.

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

would prefer a Moderne in that finish, and sure, $800 is a nice buy, especially if it comes with HSC.

Comment

I had one just like that, in the late 70's.

It was pretty nice and I used it for rehearsals so as to not beat up my SG .

The tuners were not so good ( Pre-cheap-quartz-tuner-era).

A set of Grovers might have made it a keeper . Sounded good through a HiWatt.

It was a second wth a slight stain on the back and cost $250.00 new off the wall.

SO I would have a hard time sprining 800 but if you like it it is certainly a solid thing .

Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
        Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
        Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
        BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
        Martin- 1972 D-35
        Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
        Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
        "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

I'd prefer the original L-6S with the Lawrence electronics, but that's a decent price. 

-----------------

Originally Posted by Jimmy James: Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.

Originally Posted by StringJunky: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Comment

Yes & yes.

I'd prefer it with chrome pickup covers. 

chrome

Attached Files

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

• fanuvbrak
              fanuvbrak commented
              Editing a comment

^^^ that looks nice.

... and all the ferrules matching. [/OCD]

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

• Gary Blanchard
              Gary Blanchard commented
              Editing a comment

I'll say yes and yes.

My '74   Neck is pretty skinny and narrow, doesn't get much play anymore.

l6-s deluxe

Attached Files
            http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Nah... I don't really like it.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Comment

• Scratch7
                Scratch7 commented
                Editing a comment

Urgh no, it's the kind of thing Bernard Albrecht would have played back in the day. Phenomenal value though so yes to question two..

Working...
            X