Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best club you ever set foot in?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best club you ever set foot in?

Offer up your commendation here alyuh.

Fast, clean and cheap.

There used to be some legendary clubs in London in the late 60's/early 70's. The Cromwellian, Scotch Of St.James, The Speakeasy etc. All of them full of the major musicians of the period.

At the time my wife (she passed away a few years ago) worked for Apple Records in Saville Row and she used to get to go to all those clubs with The Beatles and their friends. You can see her in the background in the movie where The Beatles are playing on the roof of the Apple building. It makes me a little sad to type this, they were great days and great times, we didn't have a care in the world apart from the Vietnam War.

Professor Tom

Comment

• Scratch7
      Scratch7 commented
      Editing a comment

Professor Tom wrote:

There used to be some legendary clubs in London in the late 60's/early 70's. The Cromwellian, Scotch Of St.James, The Speakeasy etc. All of them full of the major musicians of the period.

At the time my wife (she passed away a few years ago) worked for Apple Records in Saville Row and she used to get to go to all those clubs with The Beatles and their friends. You can see her in the background in the movie where The Beatles are playing on the roof of the Apple building. It makes me a little sad to type this, they were great days and great times, we didn't have a care in the world apart from the Vietnam War.

Commiserations on your wife Prof.

That's some awesome being there though, the pair of you must have had a right old time back in the day.

Definitely House of Blues in Chicago.... or maybe House of Blues in Orlando.  Then again the House of Blues in Nashville was pretty good.  But, I think the one in Atlanta was the most authentic.  There was this guy playing there that sounded just like SRV only he was black, left handed, was playing a right handed Strat strung upside down, and played this great rendition of that song "Voodoo Chile".  If only I could remember his name.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Comment

• Good Clean Fun
      Good Clean Fun commented
      Editing a comment

Yer Blues wrote:

Definitely House of Blues in Chicago.... or maybe House of Blues in Orlando.  Then again the House of Blues in Nashville was pretty good.  But, I think the one in Atlanta was the most authentic.  There was this guy playing there that sounded just like SRV only he was black, left handed, was playing a right handed Strat strung upside down, and played this great rendition of that song "Voodoo Chile".  If only I could remember his name.

I think you might be having a larf, but HOB in Chicago is not really that great.  The layout in the main room makes moving through the crowd to the bar kinda difficult.  And I've been to some shows there with just ridiculously overzealous security.  

I've got a major soft spot for the punk rock dump Fireside Bowl.  They don't really do shows there anymore--or at least not like they used to.  I think you can actually go bowling there again.  I've seen some fine shows at the Empty Bottle and Schubas, but the booking more than the club itself have a lot to do with that.

I don't really like "club" clubs where it's all untz-untz-untz and people in shiny clothing are yelling over the untz-untz-untz trying to "hook up" so they can puke in cabs together. 

• rhino55
      rhino55 commented
      Editing a comment

Yer Blues wrote:

You need to get out more.

It's going to be hard for anyone to top Professor Tom's story.  However, maybe JJ has a story about bumping into George Lynch at Ralph's.  We'll see. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture

Comment

• Professor Tom
      Professor Tom commented
      Editing a comment

It's stories that people refuse to tell that can be the most interesting. One of my friends hangs out with a woman who was part of the Rolling Stones entourage when they were making Exile on Main Street in France. I think she was involved with Bobby Keyes. Try as hard as my friend can, he cannot get her to talk about those days at all. Not a ****************ing word ! She simply refuses to discuss it.

How frustrating is that ?

Without question, the old Mad Monk in Wilmington, NC.  Burned down around 1992 or so.  It wasn't famous, fancy or big but it was everything a funky, sweaty, beer-soaked rock & roll club ought to be.  Had some great times there, on stage & off. 

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Working...
    X