Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, it is impossible to shop for camping gear these days

without every other review of a particular product being all "doomsday preppers." 

Yes, I want a small aluminum cup to boil water in, and some waterproof matches.  No it's not going in my "bug out bag."  It's going in my backpack.  For backpacking.  I do not expect any kind of pending North Korea Solar Flare Obamanpocalypse.  I just wanna go hiking. 

Maybe I want some dehydrated veggies (that just require some boiling water to cook).  I only need, say 16oz for the whole hiking season.  I don't want to buy a Zombie Survival bucket of them.  Just a little packet. 

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!!!!! 

I think guns are getting the same way. Everything online is about whether you're sticking it to the activists enough or not with what you're buying. Some people just want to hunt.  . .

Comment

• Flamencology
      Flamencology commented
      Editing a comment
      If you find online communities devoted to hobbies (mountaineering, rafting, Arctic ice fishing, etc.) you might have better lucked.

People who actually have survival skills, to put it less gently, and plan to carry their gear rather than store it in a bunker or armoured vehicle.

• 2manband
      2manband commented
      Editing a comment

The EAKLE wrote:

I think guns are getting the same way. Everything online is about whether you're sticking it to the activists enough or not with what you're buying. Some people just want to hunt.  . .

Yep.  Guns have always been somewhat that way, but I seem to recall the sporting goods stores of 10 years ago having a lot more bolt action rifles and pump shotguns, say, and very few if any "tactical" weapons. 

2man --

I've done quite a bit of backpacking of the 3-6 day trips in state parks. Nothing even close to mountain climbing. And I'm definitely not a prepper-type. If you want any advice on equipment, feel free to drop me a PM.

R.I.P. Marko46 -- You are missed.

My 1988 Pearl MX Monster

Originally Posted by RumStik

You can't pick someone else's pedal anymore than you can dictate his scrotum wrinkle.

Comment

Where I work, we're supposed to have a sealed (zip lock is OK) bag with a full change of clothes, some money, spare house keys, extra perscription meds, spare glasses, crap like that.   This is in case of a bio/chem attack and no, it's not that far-fetched.

Originally Posted by requiem156

I don't have to find something to dislike - it comes naturally.

Comment

Working...
    X