Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like this guitar and is it worth $400?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like this guitar and is it worth $400?

Sad Nav's girlfriend's guitar

1997 Fender Squier Venus - Japan Vista Series, (front), (back), (headstock).  I'm always excited to get in a Vista Series, which were produced by Fender Japan for a brief period in the mid-90's.  The series consisted of the Supersonic and Jagmaster both dual humbucker guitars, and the unique hum/single Venus, which was offered in 6- and 12-string models.  Although not officially a signature model, it was co-designed by the Custom Shop and Courtney Love (Hole), who played the guitar on stage for years.  Features include solid basswood body, 25.5" scale maple neck, bound neck with 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, HS pickup configuration with a hot bridge humbucker and an Alnico single coil with staggered poles, 3-way selector, single knob (volume), tuneomatic bridge with strings-thru-body, large white pearl pickguard, and nickel Gotoh vintage tuners.  You might notice the non-stock finish on this guitar.  It was refinished in a textured teal finish that's perfectly applied and in mint condition other than a small wear spot on the back, top edge (shown here).  The Vista's had a short run ('97-'98) and it's a shame because they were excellent quality guitars.  I personally think Fender could have done much better by leaving off the Squier name since the $699 list price put it well above a number of regular Fenders (i.e. not Squiers).  The way this body was designed the length of the guitar is around 4" shorter than most Fenders, although it's still a full 25.5" scale, which makes it easier to get around on for smaller players.  It has seen very little use and has perfect frets, a fantastic setup, and a quality tone that's definitely good enough for the stage.  A lot of guitar for $399 with gigbag.  

Attached Files
    www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

"Venus"

One is put in mind of Mr. Anthony Hancock's masterpiece "Aphrodite At The Waterhole."

Fast, clean and cheap.

Comment

No, I don't, and yeah, I guess so.

Comment

it appears to be made out of Corian, so you could set a hot pan on it.

www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

• Good Clean Fun
          Good Clean Fun commented
          Editing a comment

I like those.  I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the 12-string version I saw for $150 because, I don't know, I was making a lot less than I am now and $150 seemed like a totally insane impulse buy at the time.

Did you know that the Venus is basically a tweaked version of the Mercury guitars made by a small builder back in the '90s?  And those guys are getting the business back together and making them again.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50431&hilit=mercury

Pretty cool stuff.

• Phlat Phive
          Phlat Phive commented
          Editing a comment

fanuvbrak wrote:

it appears to be made out of Corian, so you could set a hot pan on it.

Oh, well, that changes everything. My own guitar is perfectly playable, sounds great, and is aesthetically pleasing, but I've always felt limited in being able to set hot kitchenware on it.

• RedJamaX
          RedJamaX commented
          Editing a comment

[quote]it appears to be made out of Corian, so you could set a hot pan on it.[/q]

HaHa!!  I thought the same thing! 

to answer the question... No, I don't like it... Value depends on it's construction and playability... so, maybe??

Working...
      X