Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post interview nerves and negotiating salary if it comes to it

Long story short, I decided to leave my leasing agent job of 3 years in Boston a month ago and move to NYC because I have a lot of friends and family there. I just moved back into my parent's house right outside last week and while I got a short-term part-time job setup before I got here I'd like to get a "real" job.

I asked an acquaintance on facebook for advice on my resume and he knew of a position opening in his company because he's friends with the hiring manager. He forwarded everything over and we setup an interview. I did speak to my friend a bunch because he has the same position and he gave me the lowdown on pay, responsibiilites and such.

I had the interview last week and it went very well. I had a good rapport with the hiring manager, he seemed to like my answers, had a couple other people in the office talk to me and all that good stuff. he said he would definitely contact me by the end of this week as he had a couple more interviews. 

Anyway, he asked me about salary and i gave him a number which i thought of as my base (there are commissions also). He then quickly said "you'll definitely make more than that with commissions". It wasn't sneaky but I felt that if I corrected him it would've been awkward. He did give me the range for the base and my number was in there so it's not totally far-fetched and with their commission structure I will make good money.

Now, I've never negotiated a salary before. My family has always been pretty poor and I'm the first one getting a corporate job so this world is completely new to me. 

The job isn't perfect (but it's a pretty nice upgrade from my last)and it's the perfect segway to get where I want to go. And while I haven't applied to a ton of jobs yet I don't think I'm going to get better than this right now as I don't have any NYC real estate experience. And even if they offer me the lowest base I'll still make decent money. 

However, from what I read online, most companies expect some sort of negotiation. I'm not going to get greedy but it seems that I can get at least a couple thousand out of them just by asking. This is a huge s&p 500 company so the people who are negotiating probably don't care too much. I just don't want to risk them pulling the job offer, although all signs point to no.

So, I don't even know if I have the job but I want to be ready if I get the call tomorrow or Friday. If you guys have any experience or advice to share it would greatly appreciated. 

I have no experience in such matters, since all of my jobs have involved either earning minimum wage or sucking a HUGE undeserved salary off of public tax rolls while skiing in Aspen.

However, here is my advice (based on a "10 Ways to Ask For A Raise" on YahooAnswers):

1. Ask for $730,000 + commissions and tell them you'll go back to Boston if they don't accept it
    2. If interviewed by a female, wear Axe Body Spray. If by a male, be sure to smell like beer.

That's it! Good luck!

Comment

• wheresmyelephant?
      wheresmyelephant? commented
      Editing a comment
      1. I couldn't live close to human standards on only $730,000+commissions
      2. I was already interviewed. First by a guy and second by a lady. My friend's dad is a VP at Bod body spray so is that an acceptable substitute?

It's always a tenuous situation to negotiate salary. You're looking to get as much as you can, while the company is trying to get you to accept the least amount they're willing to part with.

So the answer is somewhere in the middle. At this point, you won't get dinged for asking if they have other candidates in mind, and feeling them out to see where you are on the totem pole. Now you're looking to see if they're really serious about you coming aboard, or if they're just trying to sign a body for the least amount.

If you don't know already, find out if they're trying fill a number of positions. The more positions they're trying to fill, the better the chance for you to better the potential offer.

Also, try not to act like this position doesn't mean much to you and that you can walk at any time. That attitude turns off a lot of hiring managers. They want to know you actually care about the position and that you want fair compensation for kicking ass for them. You want to be very subtle about dropping the "I'm in demand, so I can go almost anywhere" card.

You were probably right in being appropriately low in your initial salary picture. It's a starting point for those candidates the company is really considering, and it allows the hiring manager to weed out the guys who are putting up sky-high salary demands. From there, you can find out what salaries are appropriate within the sector for that position, and feel out where you rank on that chart. Even ask them what the normal salary scale is for an equivalent entry-level employee, because again, that will help you to find where you rank on the scale.

Also figure in that if the job is in NYC, the salary offered will reflect the cost of living in the city. NYC has the highest cost of living of any big city in the country, so try to think of a salary requirement that assumes you will be living in the city. That would give you a bit of leverage to negotiate higher than you'd expect otherwise. Just keep in mind that it costs a ton of money to live well in NYC.

Good luck with your negotiation.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
    Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

• melvinspeed
      melvinspeed commented
      Editing a comment

If you feel the salary is fair and within your expectations, you shouldn't feel any "requirement" to negotiate.

You may also choose to negotiate something other than salary like flexible hours, working from home, health benefits, vacation time, etc.   Negotiations are not always about the  base salary.

+1

Comment

Working...
    X