Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Without trying to spoil your fun I don't think the difference between your viewing tastes is all about the content.

As an example I'll cite the recent BBC drama Outcasts, which could have been really good but missed the target a bit. I watched the whole series with my daughter but much of our entertainment came from chatting about where it was going wrong, absurdities in the plot etc. If I'd have been watching it on my own I wouldn't have bothered with it after a couple of episodes or so.

That's true. I never like talking when watching TV or movies. We've touched on it before, but when done properly they are art forms that deserve the respect of attention. When not done properly, why bother

BTW "could have been really good but missed the target a bit." is an almost perfect summation of so much UK TV drama. Life On Mars and Luther being prime examples.
    Last.fmgoodusername wrotemc100 is an utter cunt but completely correct

Comment

• morning cock-o-philes,

i have been struggling to keep my eyes open all morning (at work), even though i got plenty of sleep. Maybe i am a narcoleptic or something else is wrong with me

Avoiding caffeine, as this will only make things worse in the long run
      If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

• Any of you kuntz watch that Sky 1 Mad Dogs? Pretty good and it was a UK drama
        Shotgun Royale

last.fm

Comment

• BTW "could have been really good but missed the target a bit." is an almost perfect summation of so much UK TV drama. Life On Mars and Luther being prime examples.

I'd argue the toss about LoM and Luther's plot glitches didn't spoil it for me.

In general too much UK drama comes over as 'unfinished', especially when it's been produced with an eye to aping an American format. Our best drama does not want to be the UK version of Lost* or other US blockbusters.

Contrast something like Sherlock, which I think we had rare GJ consensus on, with that new Jimmy Nesbitt 'let's make a UK version of House' thing on ITV.

*Lost was **************** though.
          A l'eau; c'est l'heure

Comment

• Hiya

I've been gone an awfully long time How are you guys?
            MOTGLHC

Originally Posted by ChuckyB

Remember. When in doubt...GET AWESOME

NO MORE PRETZEL LOGIC POTHEAD PROPAGANDA
            JOIN THE UNION NOW

GEARZ:
            MiM Tele, Epiphone DOT
            Zvex Fuzz Factory, Korg DT10, Boss OS-2, Bigg Muff USA
            Matamp GT1, Fender Champion 600, Engl Thunder Reverb

Comment

• Who the **************** are you?

Comment

• I remember him. I think he's Dutch or something like that, possibly Belgian.
                'Mama, just nearly killed a man, put a gun against his head, changed my mind and went to bed'.

Comment

• I'd argue the toss about LoM and Luther's plot glitches didn't spoil it for me.

In general too much UK drama comes over as 'unfinished', especially when it's been produced with an eye to aping an American format. Our best drama does not want to be the UK version of Lost* or other US blockbusters.

I'll agree there. I don't think the American's have anything that even compares to Poirot, Maigret, Foyle's War, Morse, the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes etc. Those are all top quality dramas.
                  Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

• Add A Touch of Frost (has it finished now?), Morse and that Nazi masterpiece Midsomer Murders to the list as well.

Edit, you already said Morse.
                    'Mama, just nearly killed a man, put a gun against his head, changed my mind and went to bed'.

Comment

• Add A Touch of Frost (has it finished now?), Morse and that Nazi masterpiece Midsomer Murders to the list as well.

Edit, you already said Morse.

not to mention the excellent Rome
                      If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

• I'll agree there. I don't think the American's have anything that even compares to Poirot, Maigret, Foyle's War, Morse, the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes etc. Those are all top quality dramas.

One thing you'll notice about these is that they are old.

Comment

• Poirot and Foyle's War are still being made.

Comment

• I would describe all of those programs as 'cardigan TV'

Comment

• I would describe all of those programs as 'cardigan TV'

As opposed to 'Jack Daniels t-shirt TV'.

Comment

• Hiya

I've been gone an awfully long time How are you guys?

and yeah, who the **************** are you?
                                Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're the British SAS of Metal.

Originally Posted by Phlat Phive

You're a man of refined taste and strong opinions.

Originally Posted by goodusername

Mosiddiqi is a prick, btw.

Some Tunes:

http://www.box.net/shared/zbo8hrncu2
                                http://www.box.net/shared/dnlnkn3g44
                                http://www.box.net/shared/th4tv5noyi

Comment

Working...
                                X