Tom Scholz: Sound Machine-He changed the world

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Scholz: Sound Machine-He changed the world

"These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

"
    If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are." Alice Cooper

Great album Boston / Boston was. It's an American masterpiece.

I saw them live back in the 70's, I was a teen and it was one of my first concerts ever.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

His technology and that album changed music. It's ironic that he shopped his demos around for a long time and had no takers.
      Originally posted by MrKnobs
      God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

What an incredible genius.

First record I ever bought was Boston's first album. I still play it probably more than any other record or CD I own.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
          His technology and that album changed music. It's ironic that he shopped his demos around for a long time and had no takers.
          I thought it was funny that anyone gave him a hard time about wanting to "use his home-made gadgets on a professional recording."

Hey, if the MIT-trained engineer wants to use his home-made gadgets, there's at least a decent chance they just might be better and cooler than anything else you have sitting around in the studio - at least have a listen and give him a chance!

That first Boston record and that guitar sound he created really did change music. That first album came out when I was in high school and I remember how huge it was in both popularity and sound.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

1st time I heard Boston was when I was headed for Boston Massachusetts, after loading up the gear about 4 AM. synchronicity etc... radio
            another era
            Last edited by nice keetee; 09-20-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

'the benefit of being an engineer and a musician is that you eliminate all the communication between the two'

I get where he's coming from but I know some engineers who communicate rather well with musicians.
              As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
              from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post
                'the benefit of being an engineer and a musician is that you eliminate all the communication between the two'

I get where he's coming from but I know some engineers who communicate rather well with musicians.
                But speaking as both, they each have distinctive and specific languages that they use. Not all engineers are bi-lingual. Neither are all musicians. Being able to communicate with musicians as an engineer means being conversant in the language of musicians. Not all engineers are.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                X