No announcement yet.

how often do you record music?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often do you record music?

I record whole songs (usually 2-3 of them) every two weeks. sometimes everyweek. what about you?

As soon as I write good ones I'll record 'em.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Comment

I recorded my wife a mother's day tune today.
        "These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

"
        If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are." Alice Cooper

Comment

Comment

• 1001gear
            1001gear commented
            Editing a comment
            this am hilarious.

once or twice a year...
          my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

give or take...
            my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

6 or 7 times a year....Well...Maybe more...But I erase a lot...We're talking about keepers aren't we?
              Keepers don't necessarily mean shared stuff right?
              'Cuz there's a lot of stuff I'd be embarrassed to share....But just don't wanna erase....Yet
              http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mbengs1 View Post
                I record whole songs (usually 2-3 of them) every two weeks. sometimes everyweek. what about you?
                I don't record songs, but my best friend does it every month. He says it depends on his mood and money

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy D. Whitaker View Post
                  I don't record songs, but my best friend does it every month. He says it depends on his mood and money

Take it from a friend of mine: All you need to break it big nowadays is a gong. a ring modulator, and a contact microphone.

Comment

Originally posted by *BLEEP* View Post

Take it from a friend of mine: All you need to break it big nowadays is a gong. a ring modulator, and a contact microphone.

this a pic from the TV show Musical Hoarders?

Comment

I been recording a couple of times a week pretty steady since about 1974. I average up to maybe a half dozen completed projects a week, but I always have allot of projects in the pipe line in various stages of development. Some just started, some need vocals, bass, keys, leads etc.

I may work an entire day for 16 hours doing nothing but balancing tracks and tweaking them to sound good.
                      I think my favorite sessions are where I get to actually write parts and come up with things that simply click.

Last weekend I had a new drummer over and a couple of old band members. We just jammed together with him for the first time and I recorded most of the songs we did. They are all 16 track recordings with 8 drum mics. I recorded at least 12 songs. I may get 5 or 6 that are keepers worth mixing. I mixed one that took me about a half a day. Live drums are a whole lot harder then mixing samples or drum machines.

Of course I've changed recording formats many times over the years and I've had the numbers of completed projects go up and down. Some weeks I may not do more then one or two and another week I'll pump out a dozen projects that only needed some final mastering done. I'm getting close too 60 now and spending the hours I have in front of a console becomes physically painful even in a comfortable chair.

The biggest problem I have is, I have at least 5000 original songs recorded to tape, and many versions of those songs recorded with many different artists as well as solo stuff. I got a rough estimate when I had one of the shelves come loose and had to pull the recordings off the shelves.

I put the cassettes in boxes containing about 250 tapes each and there were 5 boxes. That's about 1200 cassettes with an hour of music on each, maybe 8 to 10 songs. Half of the tapes are masters, half are completed so that's about 6000 on the one shelf.

I have another 6' shelf packed floor to ceiling with the same number of recordings.

That's likely makes it about 12,000 song recording and when I filter through them I'll likely wind up with half that much.

I do have quite a few Reel to Reels too. Most of those are 4 tracks. I do have copies on cassettes but I may have to break out the reel to reel to get better quality dupes of those. The tapes are pretty old so I'll likely be dealing with allot of tape shedding which I am really not looking forward to.

I figured Its going to take me about a year to convert them over to digital. I do have most dated by the year recorded and many of them tagged with the songs done, but I do have allot of mystery tapes there too.

I switched to digital about 1999 when CD burners and hard drives came down in price. I probably have at least another 12,000 recordings done digitally. on stacks of smaller hard drives. Again, some are newer versions of older recordings, some cover tunes, but for the most part it's all original.

I hope to consolidate all the music together so I can pass the works on to my sons and family. The thing is I start hearing those old recordings and it makes me want to get back in the studio and do more. I have to consolidate however because the music will simply be lost otherwise. I got recordings in there I did at live shows when I was in High school 40+ years ago and even some that go back farther then that.

The thing that amazes me is I don't run out of new songs. I may slow down or speed up but I always have tidbits in the pipeline ready to be recorded and ironed out. I keep a notebook next to my easy chair and jot down ideas while fiddling on the guitar. Other times I grab the cell phone and simply record a few stanzas which is good enough to refresh my memory.

Right now I have 24 ideas waiting to be recorded. I'm putting them on hold till I get the backlog off the drive. I was down from 50 projects to about 12 and did two weekend sessions and ran it right back up to maybe 40 or more.

I'm a real glutton for punishment because each one will take at least a couple of hours to finish. I guess the toughest part is coming up with fresh lyrics too. I sometimes recycle them using them on a couple of different songs with different melody and adding slight modifications when the song is close enough. I'm pretty good at poetry, mainly from just having to do it for so long but its not nearly as fun as performing.

Comment

Originally posted by nice keetee View Post

this a pic from the TV show Musical Hoarders?

No, that's a page torn from the future. Our future. Because there is no future. No future for you. No future for me. God save the Queen. It's a fascist regime. God save the Queen. She ain't no human being.

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                          As soon as I write good ones I'll record 'em.

this, however i have periods of time when i can write about 3 good songs in 1 month, sometimes 2-3 months pass without any riff written by me, but usually when i come up with an idea i try to record it, but drums along the riff and a bass line, i figured out that if you write a riff it may not sound that good when it's played alone so you will most likely abandon it, but if you put drums and bass along it, it will sound much better.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureBreed View Post

this, however i have periods of time when i can write about 3 good songs in 1 month, sometimes 2-3 months pass without any riff written by me, but usually when i come up with an idea i try to record it, but drums along the riff and a bass line, i figured out that if you write a riff it may not sound that good when it's played alone so you will most likely abandon it, but if you put drums and bass along it, it will sound much better.
                            Teachers used to tell me to record myself and between cheap cassette recorders and weed it became an exercise in narcissism. Any cool part justified the material not to mention my musical relevance. Fun in and of itself but I found that musical progress was dictated by my ego and little in the way of what was required of the craft. A half century later I can't see just canning schitt for possible sale. If it's not something I'd rush out to buy, I'll keep it to myself. Needless to say you won't find me in stores or Itunes.
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
                            X