Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corpses of Everest

I've been doing some reading online lately about Mt Everest, especially about all the stuff that gets left up on the mountain. Besides literally tons of trash, mostly oxygen tanks, there are upwards of like 100 bodies of dead climbers left on the mountain.

A bunch of them are routinely passed by living climbers on their way up/down and they've almost become part of the scenery/path. One dude, nicknamed "Green Boots", is practically a trail indicator. This one British dude David Sharp (who croaked with 40 hikers passing him going up and down that day) died right next to Green Boots. I'm not sure if his body was retrieved.

Some expeditions have gone to clear bodies, but they usually can't get them down so they throw them off ravines so that they aren't trampled over by other climbers. I even read about this one dude who is hanging from some climbing gear right next to one of the main climbing bottlenecks.

Besides the obvious physical and emotional strain of climbing that mountain, it must be so bizarre to do so while passing people who have died trying to do it in the past. I think around 10% of people die while trying.

You have to be a special kind of dumbass to have a hobby that can kill you.

Comment

why don't they just build some stairs?

Comment

I'm down with the sherpas.

Comment

why don't they just build some stairs?

Take a helicopter.
          "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Take a helicopter.

There is one guy who claims to have landed a helicopter on the summit. But he essentially just hovered right above the summit because it would be fairly impossible to take off again.

Comment

Wouldn't the air be too thin for that?

Comment

He just "claims" it, with no photographic evidence.

Definitely a case of "pics or it didn't happen".

Comment

i want to climb up that ****************...i'm planning after the kids are older...so that will make me around 40ish...

i doubt my wife would let me....but i'm not getting to let that hinder me also.
                  ABnormal's # 8! i has been demotedz AGAIN!. and still she didn't make me a sammich.!!

Originally Posted by ABnormal

Stroke The Fuzzy Urinal

Can it really be that big?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98136192@N00/

Comment

As I understand it there is enough air at 10,000m to support a helicopter but hovering requires massive power and larger blades.

Only a specially built aircraft could do it.
                    Carpe ventum

Comment

I'm glad other people do the Himalayan climbs and film them, because I can watch them and admire how awesome a place it is while resting comfortably at home.

I think only a few helos can work there - the Frech Dauphin, the US Chinook, and Russian Mi-8. They just would need to be very lightly loaded, rather than having different rotor blades.
                      “Never attribute to malice the things which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”I play guitar, bass and drums with equal enthusiasm and lack of skill.

Comment

I've been doing some reading online lately about Mt Everest, especially about all the stuff that gets left up on the mountain. Besides literally tons of trash, mostly oxygen tanks, there are upwards of like 100 bodies of dead climbers left on the mountain.

A bunch of them are routinely passed by living climbers on their way up/down and they've almost become part of the scenery/path. One dude, nicknamed "Green Boots", is practically a trail indicator. This one British dude David Sharp (who croaked with 40 hikers passing him going up and down that day) died right next to Green Boots. I'm not sure if his body was retrieved.

Some expeditions have gone to clear bodies, but they usually can't get them down so they throw them off ravines so that they aren't trampled over by other climbers. I even read about this one dude who is hanging from some climbing gear right next to one of the main climbing bottlenecks.

Besides the obvious physical and emotional strain of climbing that mountain, it must be so bizarre to do so while passing people who have died trying to do it in the past. I think around 10% of people die while trying.

Yes
                        The place is literately a grave yard and a trash dumping ground.

It's not the only mountain like that either.

I like to read about that stuff, and I'll do some hiking, but you ain't gonna catch me up on a mountain that's 30,000 feet in the air.

I live a the foot of the highest Mountain in MA and that's (Mount Greylock), 3,491 ft. I have seen folks get into a bit of trouble climbing that one, especially in the early spring, but that not even small time fun.

A lot of rich bastards
                        don't even hike to the base camp to climb huge mountains, the fly in an then climb the 6000 ft to the summit.

Most of the time those mountains have a real small time window to make it to the top, or your screwed.

Cool stuff to read about , but not for me.
                        Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I think it is, plus the winds are just too unpredictable
                          Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

...these days...

if i meet someone who says he's climbed Mt Everest, I know i am meeting an idiot...

Comment

yeah, i don't feel sorry for dudes who eat it doing **************** like that

just natural selection working its magic

BASE jumpers, sky divers, dudes who swim with sharks, tough **************** if they eat it

Comment

Working...
                              X