Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what are you Christian soldiers giving up for Lent?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what are you Christian soldiers giving up for Lent?

I'm not religious myself, but a friend of mine and her coworker have been observing Lent for the past couple years. They're not religious either. It's more like a challenge. Trying a different lifestyle as a form of rebirth.

That all kind of makes sense to me right now. So I think I'll be joining them in giving up something. They are going to be vegan for Lent. I've chosen to give up coffee and alcohol.

That's the hardest thing I could think of (especially alcohol), but my drinking is something I've been struggling to control. So wish me luck.
    If history repeats itself what's the future for?

Originally Posted by danuniversal

I dream all nights that I cut his neck with a powerful heavy metal riff....I know this sound strange, but believe me, I am creative, and i can imagine one million ways to kill his spirit....

Originally Posted by bluebearddub

a couple of hundered at most, you can buy the whole kid for that!

I'm not going to eat chocolate or sweets for Lent.
    私は日本語を勉強しています。

ברוך אתה יי, מלך העולם

Comment

I'm just giving up
      hi

Comment

I'm not going to eat chocolate or sweets for Lent.

Cop out.

Go big or go home!

I dream all nights that I cut his neck with a powerful heavy metal riff....I know this sound strange, but believe me, I am creative, and i can imagine one million ways to kill his spirit....

Comment

Cop out.

Go big or go home!

i'm also trying to stop drinking...
          私は日本語を勉強しています。

ברוך אתה יי, מלך העולם

Comment

giving up my faith
            Originally Posted by Some n00b at Ultimate Guitar
            Megadeth - Peace Sells is a great example for "1/4 step down tuning"

It's very unique and I've been coming up with some interesting riffs with this tuning.

good deals with: JoshuaTSP, Nero, Morning Missile, Schaeffy, CG

ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็ กิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิ ิิิิ ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็ กิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิ ิิิิ ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็ กิิิิิิิิิิิิิิิ ิิิิ ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ็็็็

Comment

I'm just giving up

Now that's more like it.

Comment

I'm not a lent guy but fast several times a year for religious reasons. A fast doesn't have to refer to just food. It can be anything that you crave but deny yourself for God. It shows discipline and dedication.

Good luck with your fast, Charliemills. You can beat alcohol and free yourself from it's bondage if you really want to. No one said it would be easy but once you're free it will be a great feeling. Just think how much money you will save alone. Alcohol can get quite expensive over time and do irreparable damage to your body in addition to making you look much older than you really are. I've seen gals in their 20's that looked like they were in their 40's because they drank too much.
                "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent" - Thomas Jefferson

"There are two types of people - those that come into a room and say, 'Well, here I am!' and those who come in and say, 'Ah, there you are.' - Frederick L Collins

"Stop googling your answers and think like a man" - WhiteOp

Comment

i believe it is more ofa Catholic tradition now if i'm correct. But even when i was catholic i never really took part in it

i guess the way i see it now is, what's the point on giving up something only for a few weeks when you're just gonna go back to it once you're "challenge" is done...if some people take it as a challenge, good for them..but i think it has more effect and its better for someone when they make it a life commitment.

Give up drinking for a few weeks...or give it up for good?...one of those is gonna lead to better results

Plus also...from a Christian/Biblical perspective...fasting is not supposed to for me to feel good about myself just because i'm strong enough to give up something..but our reseason to fast is to give up something (some people choose food, some people choose tv, and w/e..so it's not necesarily bad things, but distractions or w/e we choose instead of God) is so we use that time to seek God more, to find more intimacy with God, spend more time in His word, praying...not just to do it as a "challenge",

I'm not trying to start a debate here or w/e...but just want to share from a Biblical point of view the idea of fasting
                  if His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking

misc SPAM: brand new motorola XOOM case, brand new Samsung ACE (sprint) case, and Graphic drawing Tablet

Comment

badgers
                    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

Comment

i believe it is more ofa Catholic tradition now if i'm correct. But even when i was catholic i never really took part in it

i guess the way i see it now is, what's the point on giving up something only for a few weeks when you're just gonna go back to it once you're "challenge" is done...if some people take it as a challenge, good for them..but i think it has more effect and its better for someone when they make it a life commitment.

Give up drinking for a few weeks...or give it up for good?...one of those is gonna lead to better results

Plus also...from a Christian/Biblical perspective...fasting is not supposed to for me to feel good about myself just because i'm strong enough to give up something..but our reseason to fast is to give up something (some people choose food, some people choose tv, and w/e..so it's not necesarily bad things, but distractions or w/e we choose instead of God) is so we use that time to seek God more, to find more intimacy with God, spend more time in His word, praying...not just to do it as a "challenge",

I'm not trying to start a debate here or w/e...but just want to share from a Biblical point of view the idea of fasting

I realize the true reason for Lent, as I was raised in a christian household. I just don't belive in that. You could make the whole 40 days vs. a whole life time arguement for anything in the religious vein. Why give up TV for 40 days to get closer to God when you could give up TV for a lifetime and spend your entire life getting closer to god?

And I definitely don't want to never drink again. WTF!!!!!

It's also more than "a few weeks". Lent starts tomorrow and doesn't end until April 4. Which is 6 and 1/2 weeks.

Comment

Lent is some bull****************, along with all organized religion. trut so pur

Comment

Your mother.
                          Sincerely,

Mitt ****************ing Ens

Comment

I'm giving up church. My love for god is just too strong

Comment

I'm giving up watching the NFL
                              I think I'm gonna watch me some dirty movies....and have Cheetos for breakfast

-Cee Gee

Lo, there do I see my father
                              Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers
                              Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning
                              Lo, they do call to me
                              They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
                              Where the brave may live.
                              Forever.......**************** SALT!!!!

www.theopenjam.net

Comment

Working...
                              X