Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate revisionist history, and thoughts on war in general

I never cease to be amazed and irritated (even disappointed) by humanity. It seems we truly are too stupid to learn from our mistakes, and thus condemned to repeat them ad infinitum. Discussion forums seem to be a place where the stupidity is much concentrated and on parade daily.

Case in point: people are still railing against a government defeated more than a hundred years ago, and trying to stamp out its flag.

I'm not going to get into the same argument again, about whether the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism or southern pride. I want to talk about something larger: war.

War is NEVER conducted for altruistic reasons, never. War is always about resources, money, and power. War (or the threat of it) is the ONLY way human conflict and scarce resources can be settled. You can write miles of treaties, let your diplomats argue for years, and ultimately only WAR settles things. The simple reason for that is nothing trumps violence. If you're dead, you lose, and the guy who killed you to take your land, possessions, and women wins.

Maybe you feel safe right now, behind your computer keyboard. You're NOT safe! If you're relatively safe, it's either because you're armed for self defense, or because someone else is armed and protecting you. If you're letting someone else protect you, understand that you're also letting someone else control you.

Go ahead, point to an altruistic war: you can't.

World War 2? Wasn't fought to liberate France or the Jews or any such reason, it was fought because the Nazis and the Japanese were trying to take and control a huge part of the world's resources. If Hitler hadn't built the concentration camps, if Japan hadn't slaughtered millions of Chinese, we'd still have had to fight them because they were making a grab for resources.

Iraq 1 and 2? I hope nobody still believes that it was about anything other than power and resources. Nobody ever seriously believed there were "weapons of mass destruction" there. There are only two weapons of mass destruction: nuclear bombs and misinformation. Poison gas? Poison gas is just bug spray. The main reason that bug spray you buy at Safeway kills your roaches and not you is that you're LARGER. Poison gas is only dangerous in confined areas like subways. It's all about the concentration and distibution.

Years ago in grad school I knew a guy getting his doctorate in biochemistry. One day he showed me something in a jar.

"Hey Terry, any idea what this is?"

"Hi Rich. Um, no. Something you left in the fridge too long?"

"No, it's enough botulin toxin to kill every man, woman, and child in the world. Now if I could just figure out a way to get them all to line up and take a dose."

So there you have it. You have a better idea then war, something that solves things definitively with less human suffering, let's hear it.

In the meantime, let's all do each other a favor and stop believing the propaganda about why wars are justified, whether it's stopping genocide or ending slavery. It's all nothing more than a big crab running off a small one to take his hole.

Terry D.
    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

It's laughable that people actually bought that "Operation Iraqi Freedom" line like it had any goddamned thing to do with the Iraqi people while we ignored a genocide in Darfur (and continue to)
      Modded CV 50's Tele | Rickenbacker 360 | Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
      Modded V847 > GGG Big Muff Pi > Line 6 M9 > Vox AC15 Custom

Comment

I agree with most of this, but its an awfully bleak way of seeing things, no matter how true
        Originally Posted by iago

I'm leaving.

It's not you; it's me.

Believe it or not, despite the court jester / village idiot persona I've too willingly adopted, I still have some hopes and dreams left in my life and my addiction to an internet forum isn't helping me achieve anything; it's likely acting as a hindrance.

Comment

I still say the best way to find a racist is to look for pickups with confederate flag stickers on 'em.
          "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
          — Isaac Asimov

Comment

These are the Mrknobs posts I love
            Support ugly musicians.
            http://www.mikewang.org/dongchim.htm

Comment

It's not even entirely about a struggle for resources either.

Eisenhower warned the country about the military/industrial complex and it's influence over political policy in 1960 as he was leaving office. He'd be appalled to see how completely his fears have been realized.

We can't afford national health care, but we'll send $2.7 billion US tax dollars to Israel every year so that it can come back to the American weapons manufacturers - who lobby and pay off our politicians and provide enormously lucrative 2nd careers to the senior officers who decide what weapons systems get purchased.

A number of words mean "fool" in various keys. A brinjah is a comical person; to brinja is to play the fool. Fool can be an adjective meaning foolish: "Cho, man! You too fool!" - or as the abstract noun, foolishness: "De whol a de nex week Wasp wid him fool fly up an dung."—Frederic G. Cassidy

Comment

:
                If you're letting someone else protect you, understand that you're also letting someone else control you.

No. I'm paying them to protect me.

I have a lot of respect for them but i don't interact with them any more than I do with the coastguard, police or fire service.

They provide a valued service but they do not in any way control me.
                Carpe ventum

Comment

They provide a valued service but they do not in any way control me.

I'm not talking about the soldiers, they just take orders. I'm talking about the corporations that control where the soliders go and what they do.

Terry D.
                  Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Your assessment of war is spot on. Every war since the beginning of time is over money/power and maybe who's dick is bigger. There is no good war. No one has your best interests at heart. No nation. No government. No corporation. No organized religion.
                    RobRoy
                    'Course, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Visconti
                    I vowed if Jug & Plugs win a second term I would leave the forum never to return, but my good name "Visconti" will be in good standing and I always keep my promise.

Comment

Originally Posted by Crab_Cake

That said I cannot stand animal cruelty, especially against friends of humanity. These include horses, dogs, chimps, and to a lesser extent dolphins.

Great band.

Originally Posted by sonik

little african girl machete gang victims

Everybody Hates Miserycast

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want peace, prepare for war. An individual must decide.

Comment

Your assessment of war is spot on. Every war since the beginning of time is over money/power and maybe who's dick is bigger. There is no good war. No one has your best interests at heart. No nation. No government. No corporation. No organized religion.

"All war is is a bunch of guys standing in a field waving their pricks at each other."
                          - George Carlin
                          "In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see.
                          When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind old men as guides." - Heinrich Heine

Originally Posted by strat555

This is just a forum.

Comment

Honey get the kids! MrKnobs is posting on OJ again
                            Originally Posted by newbie chick

My internet brilliance hinges on finding the critical balance point of pseudo-intelligence and snarky attitude.

Originally Posted by skippydmongoose

i like boobs. but after a little while, i'm ready to take the party downstairs

Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome

All my threads are 100% serious and life changing topics, I have no time for being funny.

Comment

Honey get the kids! MrKnobs is posting on OJ again

He's bravely attempting to foster some community spirit and lure back the squandered flock.

I do admire him for trying - but his posts emit an eerie resonance akin to that of the violin players on the Titanic.

''How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip the fronts off houses, you'd find swine?

The world's a Hell - what does it matter what happens in it?"

(Uncle Charlie, Shadow of a Doubt).

Comment

Working...
                              X