Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you automotively challenged?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikeo, don't you even want to know which sensor is failing?

not really.

Between work and music, house stuff, just fix it and be done with it.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Not a lot of experience, but once I buy my ****************ter of a Wrangler, I'm gonna have to learn or I'll be wasting $2000...

Comment

Not a lot of experience, but once I buy my ****************ter of a Wrangler, I'm gonna have to learn or I'll be wasting $2000...

Wranglers are not noted for reliability.

Comment

Wranglers are not noted for reliability.

Neither are $2000 cars, but I want a decent vehicle for wheelin so I figure I'll buy a ****************ty Wrangler or XJ, and fix it up over time, while continuing to drive my '04 Grand Cherokee... which is too new and useless for off road.

Comment

Neither are $2000 cars, but I want a decent vehicle for wheelin so I figure I'll buy a ****************ty Wrangler or XJ, and fix it up over time, while continuing to drive my '04 Grand Cherokee... which is too new and useless for off road.

You're gonna be breaking stuff in the woods, and you'll learn a lot.

Comment

You're gonna be breaking stuff in the woods, and you'll learn a lot.

That is precisely the point.
              You go out, you break something, tow it home, fix it, and by next weekend you're good to go.

Comment

Wranglers normally go quite a bit more. You may want to find another one.
                Signed,
                F.U.

Comment

I follow a simple guideline when it comes to things like fixing my own car, or anything else for that matter....

Time, money and effort.

I Have to have all three of those in my favor.

Sometimes I have the time and the money, but it's not worth the effort, or I'm just not willing to expend the effort.

More often than not, though, I just don't have the time or the money.

poast something else...

Comment

This thread wasn't aimed at you, Newbie. I know you know an assload about automotive tech, and I know you don't enjoy fixing cars. So relax, you're good. This thread is aimed at dudes that don't even know how to pull codes so they can at least know how to speak with a technician.

I know how to plug in the handheld to the OBD2.
                    Originally Posted by Papa Grizzly

Auntie Em just piddled her knickers.

Originally Posted by 55gibby

It's OK that you're a dumbass... but it's not OK that you're boring. If you're going to be stupid, a least be funny

Originally Posted by Hoddy

First off, I'm not Hoddy, and secondly as far as groveling is concerned, probably about as much as Johnny66 or Daddysguitar did when they were banned.

Comment

Mikeo, don't you even want to know which sensor is failing?

The truth is, even the dealer mechanics don't know how to troubleshoot an engine problem anymore, or at least the Nissan dealer here in Austin, TX.

Wife's car started being hard to start, just all at once. No sensor failure light on. Was getting worse and worse, only a matter of time before the battery would go flat before the car started.

After having experienced a huge ordeal at NTB (supposed to mean "national tire & battery" but really means "not the best") that ending up making things worse and having to get the dealer to fix what they caused, NTB was at least responsible enough to pick up the tab at the dealer.

So next time we took the car straight to the dealer. The dealer charged a large diagnostic fee, kept the car two entire days, finally said, "We THINK it might be the cam position sensor going out, but we aren't SURE so if you decide to replace it it will be YOUR decision and if that decision is wrong then the cost is on you."

So we didn't replace at that time.

Finally the service light went on, but the code was "Oxy sensor" which is about right for 100,000 miles. The dealer said, "Let's go ahead and replace the cam position sensor too" so we let them do that. About $500.

Net result? Engine still starts hard, gets lower mpg, but now at least the warning light is off. $500 to turn the warning light off.

Terry D.
                      Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Once it started, did it run OK? Any excess smoke? Losing mileage &/or torque?
                        Wife's car started being hard to start, just all at once.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Good luck even finding a real mechanic anymore. The guys I work with are 'Technicians'. If an OBD pull or a keyflip to get codes off of the dash isn't possible they're dead in the water - no idea at all how to diagnose the problem.

Comment

Start disconnecting sensors, one by one.

My old Trooper has a brand new throttle position sensor. Trooper's running wrongly. Disconnect the throttle position sensor, problem ceases, truck goes into open loop. Easy as ****************.
                            Signed,
                            F.U.

Comment

I often forget which side the gas cap located.

Comment

I often forget which side the gas cap located.

I worked at a car wash/gas station when I was a teenager. Women would pull in on the wrong side, figure it out, pull around to the other side, get out, realize they did it again, climb back in and do it again. Finally they'd just leave because they couldn't figure out how to position the car properly.
                                Signed,
                                F.U.

Comment

Working...
                                X