Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for the life of me I cant get a good guitar tone recorded

a barely goodenough ,plausable , mabe but the great one no . It sounds good in my room here ,using a BJ. or a little Vox all tube amp or a Carvin . When I mic thse amps with a 57 no matter how I try it sounds muddy and crappy . When I use a pod or my tech 51 Liverpool thing or the line out of my little fender amp it sounds about as bad ,maybe a little better.

I have got good sounding tones using a 57 to record with on a high quality TAPE deck . That was a long time ago when they had the dismal low tech **************** where you turned it on and it sounded good . Now the high tech of today you have endless possibilities of how to make ****************sounds .
    Read more wert threads ,they are wert reading . If a thread doesnt have wert in it ,its wertless .

I can't either. My distorted tone (for teh brutalz!) is too grainy sounding, and I can't get that grit out of it. I've played with presence, master vs channel volume, the eq, nothing will smooth it out like the crunch channel. I just recorded a little of my Tele and it's not bad on clean, so there's that at least. ****************.

Comment

Are you sure that your 57 ain't blowed up? Get the amp up off the floor and aimed at your head so you hear what the mic hears. Try one earplug so that you hear how the mic hears when you place the mic. Remember that less gain, bass, and treble record better.
      Originally Posted By Trace-P38
      Flogger wins.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
      Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
      Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush

http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

Comment

**************** all that noise: Amplitube 3.

Comment

I suck at recording, I have to go to a studio to do it. It sounds great live but sounds cheesy when recorded.

I also use high gain, but i've tried the trick of using half the gain you normally use and it still sounds ****************ty

I hate playing, having a badass brutal sound and then when I play it back, it's weak and brittle
          It is said, to become famous, one must make a deal with the Devil. Well, where is his bitch ass at? I am ready to sign...........in blood.

Khemical Official Myspace Page

Reverbnation

The Pope. God's representative on earth, who is so sure of his faith that he has to be driven around in a bulletproof ice-cream van.

Or maybe that's just to attract the kids... -Gallus

Comment

I think practicing your instrument is the key here. Randy Rhoads had relatively crappy recorded guitar tone, and yet his 3 studio albums with Ozzy are considered milestones. If what you're playing is awesome, people tend not to get so hung up on the actual tone, or may even consider that crappy tone as unique and essential.

Comment

You should be able to get a great tone from your amp when recording with a SM57.

There's a few things to consider.
              The SM 75 is a very natural sounding mic, but it is not want I would call a warm mic. A warm sounding mic imo would be a Beyer M160 ribbon mic, but they can get muddy sounding depending on the amp and speaker.

To get the best sound in your recordings, get the sound you are looking for off you amp and guitar. If you like a lot of distortion, try kicking it back just a touch as mic-ing can over dramatize the distortion a bit and make it seem more distorted.
              You will want to monitor you incoming tone through a decent pair of headphones. This will be critical to what is going into the recorder.

Now find the sweet spot, or what you might consider the sweet spot on your speak, and while playing your guitar move the mic/and stand to your liking.
              I tend to start with the edge of the cone and make small adjustments from there.

Terry D once said that the SM 57 was only good for driving nails, and recommended the sennheiser guitar mic. I bought one and, not that I didn't like the sennheiser guitar mic it had way more gain and was less natural in tone. It's not the wrong mic, it's just different.

Like with any mic you will us you will want a good pre amp. i have a dual tube pre amp and dual tube compressor, that are fine, but no longer made.
              It really makes the 57 shine and any other mic that I use too.

The 57 is only one mic for recording guitars. There is better stuff, that will give you more overtones and harmonics, but for the most apart this is not needed. I have an small arsenal of mics in my home studio.I figured out a long time ago that computers may come and go, but a good mic will never go out of style.

So you may take this advice as you like, because you said I play like an 85 year old man, but I took this as a compliment.
              Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I think practicing your instrument is the key here. Randy Rhoads had relatively crappy recorded guitar tone, and yet his 3 studio albums with Ozzy are considered milestones. If what you're playing is awesome, people tend not to get so hung up on the actual tone, or may even consider that crappy tone as unique and essential.

W.T.F.??

Comment

[COLOR="Red"]POD
                  XLIII - XL - XIV - XIII - X - IX

MySpace- La Musica de Hulud

Comment

W.T.F.??

just note the 'crazy train' index at any local G.C.

Comment

[COLOR="Red"]SUCKS!!!

Really, save that **************** for some "Greatest Hits" housewives.

Pod = digital clouds all 'round

Really, it's the ****************in' worst thing out there. I want to mention Behringer, but their **************** might even be better than the Pods.

They're that bad . . . unless you play metal. And then, who gives a ****************?

Comment

just note the 'crazy train' index at any local G.C.

There's no "local" GC where I live...

That said, what's that third studio album with Ozzy?? I have a couple friends who are gonna cream their pants when they find that such a thing exists.

Comment

Really, save that **************** for some "Greatest Hits" housewives.

Pod = digital clouds all 'round

Really, it's the ****************in' worst thing out there. I want to mention Behringer, but their **************** might even be better than the Pods.

They're that bad . . . unless you play metal. And then, who gives a ****************?

Shut the **************** up.
                          XLIII - XL - XIV - XIII - X - IX

MySpace- La Musica de Hulud

Comment

Romove the grill clothe from your cab. Remove the dust cap from the 57. Put on some quality isolation headphones. Crank the **************** out of your amp, turn down overdrive to nothing. Play while listening through headphones. Adjust the mic as you go, placing the diaphragm as close to the speaker surface as you can. Start at the outer edge for max bass, bring inward to roll off bottom end. Find the good spot, then slightly adjust the angle of the 57 to round out the sound. Then start bringing up overdrive to taste. Make sure the amp is loud, and that nothing is vibrating in the room, like drums.
                            Signed,
                            F.U.

Comment

That's how I did the guitar tracks in the link in my sig.
                              Signed,
                              F.U.

Comment

Working...
                              X