No announcement yet.

Calculus

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculus

I am in need of taking Calculus as a requirement for PhD programs. Why my undergrad university didn't make me aware of this, I don't know...

Anyway, I need to take care of this relatively fast, and would kinda like to just jump in and take Calc I. (should fulfill the grad application requirements). It would also save me a lot of money to only take the one class.
    HOWEVER, I have never taken a calculus-type math before.

I took college algebra, trigonometry, and two semesters of trig-based physics. I didn't pay much attention in those classes, and my grades were passing to say the absolute best I can. I do not like mathematics, and am not looking forward to this.

In any event, I plan on either going part-time at my job or quitting altogether and teaching general biology labs at my undergrad university, so I should have plenty of time to study.

Do you think I should be safe to jump into Calc I, or should I take Precalculus first?

How difficult is calculus?
    I thought it was going to be different;It turned out to be(,) just the same.

My brother, a PHD scientist and math/physics teacher says that calculus does not deserve the bad rap it gets. He believes it is a relatively simple subject in the realm of math and could even be taught without the other prerequisite math courses.

Of course, he IS kind of a genius.

Your results may vary.
    may not play well with others...

Comment

My brother, a PHD scientist and math/physics teacher says that calculus does not deserve the bad rap it gets. He believes it is a relatively simple subject in the realm of math and could even be taught without the other prerequisite math courses.

Of course, he IS kind of a genius.

Your results may vary.

That is what I have heard as well; that it is a more... intuitive math that is long on thinking and short on actual number crunching. I am just a bit nervous to jump back into school with a subject I don't like and am not "naturally" gifted at and actually avoided.

Damn I wish I could have gone through my undergrad differently...

For starters, I wouldn't have worked full-time through it.

Comment

Calculus is pretty easy. A lot of people learn it in high school and conceptually it is quite simple.

Pre-calc is a waste of time: it is just a review of stuff you already studied in high school.
        Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

A good dental hygienist can help you with any calculus problems you may have.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

A really good one will give you a blowjob afterwards
              Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

Thanks!

No problem.
                I like to be helpful.

Comment

A really good one will give you a blowjob afterwards

I guess I've never had a really good dental hygienist.
                  "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                  -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                  -- Theodore White

Comment

Watch 'Stand and Deliver' first.

Comment

We watched that all throughout middle school.

It's surprising how many kids these days haven't seen it. I'm getting old.

"What the hell is cal-KOOL-us?"

Comment

Once you learn and understand the fundamentals of calculus its like a party.

Do the homework and keep at it.
                        CHANGE: 1. Demoralization 2. Destabilization 3. Crisis 4. Normalization

Comment

what kind of job do you want when you leave school?

Comment

I am in need of taking Calculus as a requirement for PhD programs. Why my undergrad university didn't make me aware of this, I don't know...

Anyway, I need to take care of this relatively fast, and would kinda like to just jump in and take Calc I. (should fulfill the grad application requirements). It would also save me a lot of money to only take the one class.
                            HOWEVER, I have never taken a calculus-type math before.

I took college algebra, trigonometry, and two semesters of trig-based physics. I didn't pay much attention in those classes, and my grades were passing to say the absolute best I can. I do not like mathematics, and am not looking forward to this.

In any event, I plan on either going part-time at my job or quitting altogether and teaching general biology labs at my undergrad university, so I should have plenty of time to study.

Do you think I should be safe to jump into Calc I, or should I take Precalculus first?

How difficult is calculus?

pre calc is nothing more that some more algebra and trig,

Get into Calc I and get going on differentiation and the some integration in Calc II.
                            Once you learn the basics you should be fine. There will always be problems you will need to look up in either a math handbook or on the net.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Calculus is pretty easy. A lot of people learn it in high school and conceptually it is quite simple.

Pre-calc is a waste of time: it is just a review of stuff you already studied in high school.

ditto

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Working...
                              X