Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pleasant hour.

Tonight was club night down at the local railway club; I brought down a CIE C-Class loco that I'd built a few months ago but not run very much. The club has a test track that's about two scale miles long - great for running in new locos or just simply watching trains go by. My loco behaved just like the real thing - starting, stopping, crawling, galloping along suddenly for no reason and eventually stopping and refusing to move an inch. Just like Irish railways in the old days.

I brought it home and have just spent an extremely pleasant hour taking it assunder and giving it a bit of a service. A lot of gunk had built up on the wheels so I gave them a good clean; then I removed the body to give the mechanism a bit of lubrication. It was then that I discovered that one of the brush springs was sticking at an odd angle from underneath its cover; this is what made for an intermittent contact between the brush itself and the motor armature.

I managed to poke the spring back into its proper place without it flying out and disappearing forever behind the cooker or into a dog.

As I fiddled around I had a glass of beer in front of me and some obscure English folk from the 60s on the stereo.

It's strange how a simple little hobby can give so much pleasure. It would seem that it provides freedom - there was nothing else on my mind for the hour except my model engine, my beer and Heron's "Upon Reflection". All problems and worries gone completely. An art teacher once told me that was the great joy of painting - the total freedom when the art transcends everything and you shut the world out for a while.

It's probably a bit like meditation except the loco goes like the clappers.
    "Now you've opened a whole sheetload of pain on everyone here, with all your black pudding insaneness." - Zygoat2

"I'm excited. Nothing turns chicks on more than a fat guy with a flying V playing Monkees songs!" - Sydfan

"Phuck you and your pseudo toaster." - Silas Dean

Meditation for nerds.

Comment

Nerds indeed.
      Thanks to Ms. Merkel and her cronies in the banks we can't afford real trains anymore.
      "Now you've opened a whole sheetload of pain on everyone here, with all your black pudding insaneness." - Zygoat2

"I'm excited. Nothing turns chicks on more than a fat guy with a flying V playing Monkees songs!" - Sydfan

Comment

Nerds indeed.
        Thanks to Ms. Merkel and her cronies in the banks we can't afford real trains anymore.

I'm not defending that witch, but the UK train system has been privatized long before her.

And it was ****************ed up shortly after, of course.

Germany did the same thing some years later, and now our, once world-famous, train system is also ****************.

Comment

I'm not in the UK - I'm in Ireland. Our train system has better trains than ever but they don't go anywhere as they're shutting all the lines down. It's a combination of ineptness, politics and the power of the motor industry which dictates that countries spend more on road infrastructure as that's where the profit lies. One 1,000 ton train can take 90 trucks off the road - that's not good news for haulage firms or, indeed, the oil industry.

Comment

I'm not in the UK - I'm in Ireland. Our train system has better trains than ever but they don't go anywhere as they're shutting all the lines down. It's a combination of ineptness, politics and the power of the motor industry which dictates that countries spend more on road infrastructure as that's where the profit lies. One 1,000 ton train can take 90 trucks off the road - that's not good news for haulage firms or, indeed, the oil industry.

ireland, OK.

Same here, lines closed for making "no profit".

Comment

There's a local guy here in the area that has this amazing train model thing at his house

He has been featured in model rail road mags too.

seriously check out the links. it amazing, He was a football coach when i was a kid and that's kinda how I know him. Plus his son was a year ahead of me in school

from just the model I actually know where this is

and this place too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railroadkits/sets/72157627163380703/

http://www.horailroad.com/hv/hvlayout.html#photo

he's been building models for at least 50 years

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

The statement that rail transport is better for the environment than road transport is, at least, debatable.

Comment

Nice hobby BP. Mine is drinking. I too shall find a hobby one day. Playing music no longer pulls at my soul as it once did. It must be all the arseholes I was associated with.

Comment

Interesting post, Mr. Blackpig. In a similar vein, my hobby:

''How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip the fronts off houses, you'd find swine?

The world's a Hell - what does it matter what happens in it?"

(Uncle Charlie, Shadow of a Doubt).

Comment

That is beautiful. Can we smoke it?

Comment

That is beautiful. Can we smoke it?

just say no
                        the world is your crabstick

Comment

I'm about to spend another pleasant hour cooking and eating dinner. We're having beef burgers done with garlic, chilli, parsley and cumin along with our own cherry tomatoes cooked with a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and cujun spiced potato wedges.

I've just been down to the opening of the local opera festival - I avoided the crowds and the speech making and went to a spot by an abandoned factory to take photos of the fireworks display. It was quite a short one and I didn't get many pics but I'll have a look at them later and then post them if enough people are nice to me.

I have a bottle of Chateau Mezain sitting in the kitchen as well.

Comment

I'm not defending that witch, but the UK train system has been privatized long before her.

And it was ****************ed up shortly after, of course.

Germany did the same thing some years later, and now our, once world-famous, train system is also ****************.

And yet they are still better than the ****************e we have in the US.
                            "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

Comment

losing track of time and worries is a good hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X