No announcement yet.

Need help: trimming dog nails.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help: trimming dog nails.

Are there any clippers that actually work?

We've got some notched scissor style clippers, and the guillotine style.

Both are VERY hard to use. I have to use two hands to get them to cut.

Not good for me or the pup.

Any suggestions?
    good deals with: nearly everyone.
    Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

I always use the guillotine style. Just make sure their nails are clean so you can see where you're cutting. They bleed bad if you cut the quick. Get the dog when it's relaxed. After cutting the nail file it so it's not sharp with a nice heavy duty emery board.

Comment

I know how to trim them.............I'm mostly asking about the clippers.

does my dog just have steel nails or do these clippers require some force?

Comment

I would simply get a very sharp new pair of clippers sans the so called saftey bull****************...if the dog is cooperative its not hard to see the vein. Use common sense regarding the size...to small and to dull is what splits the claw.

Comment

I had an issue with my other dog a while back........he was a shelter dog, and is borderline mental........he has fear issues from a past owner........he's better now, but back when we got him, we hit the quick and he bled, and pissing all over my house.

It was a real bad experience, now I'm gun shy about trimming nails.

Comment

Get someone to help you or take your dog to a vet...doesnt cost that much.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Science!
              View Post

I know how to trim them.............I'm mostly asking about the clippers.

does my dog just have steel nails or do these clippers require some force?

They require a bit of force and the nail usually goes flying somewhere.

Comment

use your teeth. does an OK job and is a great bonding experience
                I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

and you can tell where he walked recently

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Science!
                    View Post

I had an issue with my other dog a while back........he was a shelter dog, and is borderline mental........he has fear issues from a past owner........he's better now, but back when we got him, we hit the quick and he bled, and pissing all over my house.

It was a real bad experience, now I'm gun shy about trimming nails.

sweet

get a decent set of clippers and back on saddle.

I do my 3 cats nails all the time, and I have accidently gotten a bleeder. Cats nails are much thinner and each cat has different size nails too. It's always a fight, so I might do the fronts one day and a the backs some other day.

if you have too buy some nail clippers from your vet, they will have the professional tool or be able to get you good nail trimmers.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by I Play Um
                      View Post

:agreed: ...or a good groomer.
                      =========+=========+=========+=========+========+= =====
                      Originally Posted by braif

We need a multi-linqual international special STFU liaison officer around here

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoudKzDh9WI

8.23 at amazon, but they're gonna screw you on the shipping

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2210869...Types&var=sbar

reviews

http://www.amazon.com/PediPaws-3269-...owViewpoints=1

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

There are a number of products out there that sand the dog's nails instead of cutting them (peticure, pedipaws, etc...there's even one out there that is made by Dremel) They are basically cordless Dremel tools with normal sanding drums. I know a lady that just uses a regular Dremel and sanding drum...she says the important thing is to accustom your dog to the sound and vibration by just sitting with the dog and feeding it treats and petting it while holding the dremel...once the dog is accustomed to it, she says it is immesureably better than cutting....I'll have to ask her if she uses a high or low speed...I would assume low...I find that by letting my dog try to drag me around the neigborhood on sidewalks and pavement keeps her nails ground down quite nicely

edit: I see Mikeo beat me to it...anyway, a quick Google search for "trimming dog nails with dremel" brought up a bunch of returns, with various web pages and youtube videos...I found this one by Dremel...

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/customer...structions.pdf
                          Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by I Play Um
                            View Post

My wife took him in, but they turned him away.............because he was being a scared mean bitch.

He doesn't get that way with us...........

Comment

He doesn't like the vacuum..........I'm not sure if he'd be okay with the dremmel or not, but I REALLY like the idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X