Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia's minimum wage is over double the US minimum wage

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This increasingly competitive world is getting tougher and tougher for those lacking marketable skills. I don't pretend to have a solution but I've heard some of those book-learnin' economist types say that a shrinking middle class with weakening buying power is bad for economic sustainability so the current trend towards the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer needs to be reversed somehow.

I wonder if some of those book learning economists think minimum wage should be enough to start a family with. Can one in your province in Canada start a family on minimum wage? I wonder if even in Australia you can actually start a family on their minimum wage. I wonder if there is actually a country with a minimum wage high enough to actually pull that off. I guess it really depends on what you mean by "start a family" . I mean you can actually start a family here in the US with NO wage.

If we are talking the "middle class"....then we are out of the realm of "minimum wage". I don't think there ever was a time when earning the minimum in the US would put you in the middle class.

Comment

I've had people working on lathes pretending to grind because they didnt want to do more work....I've had people call out late cause they wanted to give mouth to mouth to a carpe that jumped out of a pond. I've had people tell me they have no interest in thier job cause they felt thier real job was at home and what I was paying them for didnt matter. I've had people go home on delivery time to do thier wash. I've had people go back to thier old neighborhoods in the city to get a haircut on my time and expect more money for working later.
      You can not just blame society for the poor work habits and lack of ambition and the resulting lifestyle when they really need to examine thier own life.
      I'm not a rich man...I do ok and I'm not a burden on anyone...I'm not a lucky person. I simply got off my ass everyday and did what I had to do. It took years for me to get anything.

Comment

If we are talking the "middle class"....then we are out of the realm of "minimum wage". I don't think there ever was a time when earning the minimum in the US would put you in the middle class.

No, as far as I know it's always been below the poverty line, but it was closer to that poverty line 30-40 years ago than it is today.

You and playum should note that nowhere did I or anyone else say that people should start families on minimum wage.
        (Everybody knows this is nowhere)

Comment

Here's a good rule of thumb. If your supervisor can teach you your job in a shift you're not worth **************** and shouldn't expect any more then minimum anything.

Wages only go up from not worth a **************** status.

What if the job is very physically demanding but simple? Are those people not worth **************** too? Should those people be paid more since theyre taxing their bodies? Are they still not worth a ****************?

Comment

I've had people working on lathes pretending to grind because they didnt want to do more work....I've had people call out late cause they wanted to give mouth to mouth to a carpe that jumped out of a pond. I've had people tell me they have no interest in thier job cause they felt thier real job was at home and what I was paying them for didnt matter. I've had people go home on delivery time to do thier wash. I've had people go back to thier old neighborhoods in the city to get a haircut on my time and expect more money for working later.
            You can not just blame society for the poor work habits and lack of ambition and the resulting lifestyle when they really need to examine thier own life.
            I'm not a rich man...I do ok and I'm not a burden on anyone...I'm not a lucky person. I simply got off my ass everyday and did what I had to do. It took years for me to get anything.

Maybe if you paid your employees more you would attract more skilled, higher quality employees? That's the argument people make against CEO salary caps anyway...
            (Everybody knows this is nowhere)

Comment

No, as far as I know it's always been below the poverty line, but it was closer to that poverty line 30-40 years ago than it is today.

That's what I thought.

Comment

What if the job is very physically demanding but simple? Are those people not worth **************** too? Should those people be paid more since theyre taxing their bodies? Are they still not worth a ****************?

When I was a kid I worked for a moving company in the summer...I earned a little more than minimum wage..maybe 50 cents more an hour. I thought I died and went to heaven cause I had a 40 hour a week job instead of the 16 - 20 hours other kids got. I got a raise each summer I came back cause I was what they called "A Good Man" which meant I learned what I had to do and was reliable. I worked my ass off for that money and didnt think to complain. I knew it wasnt a job you'd want to keep forever and expect success from..so did everybody else...even the year rounders.

Comment

Maybe if you paid your employees more you would attract more skilled, higher quality employees? That's the argument people make against CEO salary caps anyway...

Yes...and if people have experience they did get paid more. When you clearly take a job to learn a skill...you dont **************** off. You either say this isnt for me or you work your way up. I gave good raises to those who deserved it. Even so...theres only so much you can pay someone. Business is not a bottomless pit of wages owed to someone else. Dont I deserve anything?

Comment

The rent I was paying in Sydney was 3 x what I paid in Ottawa ON. Canada.
                    Minimum wage is higher, we went for something called a "Livable Wage"
                    There is no tips for hospitality workers as it is here in the North American Continent.
                    Employers are expected to pay good wages to get good staff & not expect the customer to subsidize the wages because he hired idiots.

Oh, dancers get tips though.......oh yeah, they get tips.
                    So you know the cost of living is probably higher and requires a higher minimum wage to live on.
                    Set-up: ME> GUITAR> EFFECTS> AMP> AUDIENCE=
                    Good Deals : sh333, mitre

Comment

When I was a kid I worked for a moving company in the summer...I earned a little more than minimum wage..maybe 50 cents more an hour. I thought I died and went to heaven cause I had a 40 hour a week job instead of the 16 - 20 hours other kids got. I got a raise each summer I came back cause I was what they called "A Good Man" which meant I learned what I had to do and was reliable. I worked my ass off for that money and didnt think to complain. I knew it wasnt a job you'd want to keep forever and expect success from..so did everybody else...even the year rounders.

Whats your point?

Comment

Thimk.
                        No longer Banned by the Geezer Gear Forum for liking pubic hair on women.

Comment

. This thread.

Comment

Thimk.

Mo!

Comment

BTW I Play Um. What type of machinery you working with, you hiring, and what region you in(southeast,northeast,etc)?

Comment

Dumb people unload trucks all day, I don't make the rules. Pay = skill level, again I don't make the rules.
                                Sure, God is all powerfull, but does he have lips?

Comment

Working...
                                X