Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

In music there is no such thing as a right and a wrong?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In music there is no such thing as a right and a wrong?

The right standard of judgement being the pleasure given to the hearer, be he high or low.

)o(

If it sounds good, do it.
    This is not the so-called Warbleshinny mastadon. over

Comment

The right standard of judgement being the pleasure given to the hearer, be he high or low.

My music theory teacher agreed with this statement...he said there is no wrong interval or chord, only different degrees of taste..

Comment

My music theory teacher agreed with this statement...he said there is no wrong interval or chord, only different degrees of taste..

I see it, but I don't ever hear it
        )o(

Comment

there is wrong in music, even untrained ears can easily hear when something is wrong.
          strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

Since I always sound good...I must be right

Comment

there is wrong in music, even untrained ears can easily hear when something is wrong.
              wrong....or just bad taste???

Comment

i think it was hoagy carmichael that said music is a skeleton that musicians fill in with meat... there is no right or wrong...
                Crusty Member

Comment

No right or wrong. Some of it just sounds like ****************.

Comment

Flute is always wrong

Comment

Play the wrong note once it's a mistake.

Play it twice and it's jazz.

“One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

This is really an interesting topic. It depends who you play with. I'm a typical rock/blues kinda guy with some basic musical training I got as a kid. Once I started playing in bands all formal musical thought went out the window. To those that have years of musical training...I respect that. That why I consider myself a guitar player rather than a musician.
                        The problem comes when a guy like me decides to play something thats pleasing to the ear and yet rubs trained musicians the wrong way. They hear differently and it comes as no surprise to me that they will look over and say...hey thats wrong. It should be done like this. Its also my experience that while the musically trained can communicate better than me they often sound mechanical and dull. Once in awhile you hit apon people that understand theres music and theres sound. Sometimes a marriage between the two works best.

Anyway enough of this..back to the poop!

Comment

member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Comment

Play the wrong note once it's a mistake.

Play it twice and it's jazz.

My music teacher in HS said to the jazz band "If you play a sour note in an improv, play it again, and again, and AGAIN.... make it sound like you MEANT to do it. It'll be jazz"
                            poast something else...

Comment

Anyway enough of this..back to the poop!

*dissonant poo flung*
                              poast something else...

Comment

Working...
                              X