Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Tele Vision
    View Post

Blown insulation sucks.

After seeing how bad the rodents had infested the loose insulation that was in the house I kust bought, I would agree with you.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by isaac42
      View Post

Actually, I meant that they have oil heat. But I think they have blown insulation as well.

We has heating oil too. In like the late 90's it was pretty inexpensive. I remember getting into a 99 cent per gallon pre paid and then it dropped to 69 cents

Back about 5 years ago it was over 5 dollars a gallon and the prepaid was like 5.25 a gallon. The market was so crazy even the oil delivery company didn't know what was going on and was having a fit.

I live in an old house, it's not big either and I keep it warm. My wife had a nice cold this weekend and I have been taking care of her a bit. Airborne vitamin supplement I swear by the stuff, how ever I don't want too much zinc in my diet, but it's ok for a short period of time.

back about 3 years ago, we dropped in 24 Pella windows her at the house and got a small gov tax credit. I looked at all the windows and the Pella dealership really did an amazing job, from the sales peep to the contractors. Unlike Anderson that make 3 million different version of various windows Pella make 3 kinds that they sell. A new construction wood window, a fiberglass window and vinyl replacements. Has it helped, well it's a step in the right direction and has not been the end all catch all.

It was not cheap and we got everything we expected and more.

I had full grids/grills put in our windows and the look great for what they are. The job was subbed out to a couple of guys from VT, and there work was amazing. We were so happy with them that we gave them each a 100 dollar bill.

I have Thermature doors (composite door material )and they were put in by a local guy, who will never work here again. There's 2 Anderson storm doors, one full glass and the other 1/2 glass. I'm not happy with the Anderson doors to tell you the truth, they are kind of junky.

I could actually sink more money into this place than it would be ever worth.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mikeo
        View Post

We has heating oil too. In like the late 90's it was pretty inexpensive. I remember getting into a 99 cent per gallon pre paid and then it dropped to 69 cents

Back about 5 years ago it was over 5 dollars a gallon and the prepaid was like 5.25 a gallon. The market was so crazy even the oil delivery company didn't know what was going on and was having a fit.

I live in an old house, it's not big either and I keep it warm. My wife had a nice cold this weekend and I have been taking care of her a bit. Airborne vitamin supplement I swear by the stuff, how ever I don't want too much zinc in my diet, but it's ok for a short period of time.

back about 3 years ago, we dropped in 24 Pella windows her at the house and got a small gov tax credit. I looked at all the windows and the Pella dealership really did an amazing job, from the sales peep to the contractors. Unlike Anderson that make 3 million different version of various windows Pella make 3 kinds that they sell. A new construction wood window, a fiberglass window and vinyl replacements. Has it helped, well it's a step in the right direction and has not been the end all catch all.

It was not cheap and we got everything we expected and more.

I had full grids/grills put in our windows and the look great for what they are. The job was subbed out to a couple of guys from VT, and there work was amazing. We were so happy with them that we gave them each a 100 dollar bill.

I have Thermature doors (composite door material )and they were put in by a local guy, who will never work here again. There's 2 Anderson storm doors, one full glass and the other 1/2 glass. I'm not happy with the Anderson doors to tell you the truth, they are kind of junky.

I could actually sink more money into this place than it would be ever worth.

Yeah, I figure we could all do that. I know I could.
        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
        -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
        -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
        -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
        -- Theodore White

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jrkman
          View Post

After seeing how bad the rodents had infested the loose insulation that was in the house I kust bought, I would agree with you.

A buddy of mine bought a new house in a new neighborhood a few years ago. He's a sparky and wanted to check on the build so he drove out to HIS new house. The developer wouldn't let him onsite, citing safety and insurance concerns. When he finally took possession he said the build was awful. Blown pink that barely covered the attic floor; trim that was, in places, ( I saw this ) an inch off of the floor; doors that dragged; shoddy everything, really. He is still fixing the place up. The builder "went out" of business, naturally.

As many ass aches as you're experiencing now, I surmise that you'll have a MUCH better place ( and know it inside out ) than my poor buddy Mike did.

Comment

• Stoney needs to wake up, there are way nicer places to live, warmer, too. Sheesh....of course it IS snowing here, right now...
            It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
            Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
            When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

• My latest natural gas bill was about $30, over half of that was taxes and other charges -- one good thing about living in the Midwest.

Heck, part of the times I have to crack a window -- place is less than 2 years old and very well insulated -- because it gets too warm.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by tuco
                View Post

Stoney needs to wake up, there are way nicer places to live, warmer, too. Sheesh....of course it IS snowing here, right now...

Stoney loves the snow

Comment

View Post

A buddy of mine bought a new house in a new neighborhood a few years ago. He's a sparky and wanted to check on the build so he drove out to HIS new house. The developer wouldn't let him onsite, citing safety and insurance concerns. When he finally took possession he said the build was awful. Blown pink that barely covered the attic floor; trim that was, in places, ( I saw this ) an inch off of the floor; doors that dragged; shoddy everything, really. He is still fixing the place up. The builder "went out" of business, naturally.

As many ass aches as you're experiencing now, I surmise that you'll have a MUCH better place ( and know it inside out ) than my poor buddy Mike did.

Maybe. The original wood and framing was okay. If your buddies builder was that bad, who knows whats under the walls.

Comment

View Post

Maybe. The original wood and framing was okay. If your buddies builder was that bad, who knows whats under the walls.

Electrical, plumbing and the HVAC systems are a bitch to fix once the walls are up not to mention the possible safety hazards.

The HVAC duct system in my current house is so well designed and thought out that all three levels have uniform heat and cold with just one zone thermostat and very efficient use of natural gas.

My other house has two zone heating but each level can be 5-10 degrees different from each other not to mention that the heating gas bill is 3X my current house's bill despite being a third of the size as well.
                    member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guitarman
                      View Post

Electrical, plumbing and the HVAC systems are a bitch to fix once the walls are up not to mention the possible safety hazards.

The HVAC duct system in my current house is so well designed and thought out that all three levels have uniform heat and cold with just one zone thermostat and very efficient use of natural gas.

My other house has two zone heating but each level can be 5-10 degrees different from each other not to mention that the heating gas bill is 3X my current house's bill despite being a third of the size as well.

Theyre not too fun with the walls down too

Our new one is dual zoned. One thing I worry about with the ductwork is if the mice come back it will he harder to deal with them. Its another place for them to hide.

Comment

View Post

I saw the pics you posted , the framing on your place looked fine.

Just over insulate

Comment

View Post

I saw the pics you posted , the framing on your place looked fine.

Just over insulate

Yep. The original stuff was okay. Even the wiring. It was just old and done to the code of the day. Its the stuff they added and didnt take care of that was the problem. Rotted wood, water issues, rodents, improper and unsafe electrical additions, etc. Only issue I can find with the original is the snap ties inbthe concrete wall werent cut and sealed. Theyve lasted 40 years though.

Comment

View Post

Yep. The original stuff was okay. Even the wiring. It was just old and done to the code of the day. Its the stuff they added and didnt take care of that was the problem. Rotted wood, water issues, rodents, improper and unsafe electrical additions, etc. Only issue I can find with the original is the snap ties inbthe concrete wall werent cut and sealed. Theyve lasted 40 years though.

Probably owned by a weekend do it your self-er.

I personally like the radiant floor heat, but your floors looked decent if my memory is correct.

Forced hot air is wife friendly, can be dusty at times, but you replace the filters often.

Wife's might complain about a lil dust, but some don't slip wood that well either. Plus if you ever sell and say retire to FLA, the house has better resale value.

What a frigging project you had and probably still have ahead of you.

Comment

View Post

This is why I bought an old home. Mine was made in 37' and was a model home for "People's Gas" It was one of three made which they called "home's of the future" I have gas forced air, back in 37' this was something not done at all. Knowing what I know about construction I know that commercial construction requires a higher standard (code usually) and when we got this place I was not disappointed as it is rock solid.
                              The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, sometimes called the first libertarian thinker, said, "The more artificial taboos and restrictions there are in the world, the more the people are impoverished. ... The more that laws and regulations are given prominence, the more thieves and robbers there will be."

Comment

View Post

Probably owned by a weekend do it your self-er.

I personally like the radiant floor heat, but your floors looked decent if my memory is correct.

Forced hot air is wife friendly, can be dusty at times, but you replace the filters often.

Wife's might complain about a lil dust, but some don't slip wood that well either. Plus if you ever sell and say retire to FLA, the house has better resale value.

What a frigging project you had and probably still have ahead of you.

Floors were shot. All new sub floor in there now.

Its been a crazy project. One positive is Ive learned alot. Im also thankful I paid attention in my electronics classes.

Comment

Working...
                                X