I'm Spending Friggin $500/mo On Heating Oil

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome
    View Post

This is why I bought an old home. Mine was made in 37' and was a model home for "People's Gas" It was one of three made which they called "home's of the future" I have gas forced air, back in 37' this was something not done at all. Knowing what I know about construction I know that commercial construction requires a higher standard (code usually) and when we got this place I was not disappointed as it is rock solid.

force hot air goes way back to the late 1880's, although it was widely used till about the 30's when better fans and components were available.

The radiant floor heat that is rather popular now goes back almost 1000 years.

By the 1930's they finally had building inspectors, cause many peeps and so called contractors just cobbed up what ever. I think right after WWII houses just went up as fast as they could nail em together. Cheap oil, so any insulation might have been more of a noise reduction than a consideration for heating and cooling.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• Sorry Mikeo but you're a bit off, I did commercial and residential construction code is higher for commercial than residential. Considering this was made for a company I am thinking that they might have asked for better materials...it sure seems that way.

For example, gas fireplace, walk in closests, gas forced air, etc...this is in a 1600 sqft colonial home. Not a super fancy rich guy house.
      The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, sometimes called the first libertarian thinker, said, "The more artificial taboos and restrictions there are in the world, the more the people are impoverished. ... The more that laws and regulations are given prominence, the more thieves and robbers there will be."

Comment

View Post

Sorry Mikeo but you're a bit off, I did commercial and residential construction code is higher for commercial than residential. Considering this was made for a company I am thinking that they might have asked for better materials...it sure seems that way.

For example, gas fireplace, walk in closests, gas forced air, etc...this is in a 1600 sqft colonial home. Not a super fancy rich guy house.

Think what ya want, but it goes way back probably 40 years before it hit your place, although not used that much. Most even new heating systems in homes is far from new technology.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mikeo
          View Post

Think what ya want, but it goes way back probably 40 years before it hit your place, although not used that much. Most even new heating systems in homes is far from new technology.

Not talking about when gas forced air started, I'm talking commercial code verse residential, c'mon man get with it, it's 9AM over there.
          The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, sometimes called the first libertarian thinker, said, "The more artificial taboos and restrictions there are in the world, the more the people are impoverished. ... The more that laws and regulations are given prominence, the more thieves and robbers there will be."

Comment

View Post

Not talking about when gas forced air started, I'm talking commercial code verse residential, c'mon man get with it, it's 9AM over there.

Ok

5 pages of stuff on heating and 1 Awesome Sentence on commercial code verse residential.

I guess that was the "impotent" sentence in the whole damn thread.

Comment

• $500 a month on oil qualifies as "****" status in my book. Does Stoney live in a three walled house or what?

Comment

View Post

$500 a month on oil qualifies as "****" status in my book. Does Stoney live in a three walled house or what?

Sounds crazy too me and to keep the thermostat at like 62 too boot.

Comment

• WTF Harry. Mikeo wasnt even arguing and you have to try yo start a fight.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jrkman
                    View Post

WTF Harry. Mikeo wasnt even arguing and you have to try yo start a fight.

I was talking about the differences between commercial and residential construction and he goes into gas forced air. I have some "gas forced air" for the lot of you.

Comment

View Post

I have some "gas forced air" for the lot of you.

That would be an improvement.
                      =========+=========+=========+=========+========+= =====
                      Originally Posted by braif

We need a multi-linqual international special STFU liaison officer around here

Comment

• Thread got all Harryfied.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Pigger
                          View Post

Thread got all Harryfied.

I do believe I raised the level of intensity here. Was rather weak wristed prior to me posting.

Comment

View Post

I do believe I raised the level of intensity here. Was rather weak wristed prior to me posting.

You do a fine job a being an asswipe.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jrkman
                              View Post

You do a fine job a being an asswipe.

How so?

Comment

• I wish stonerhead was spending 500 a month on STFU

Comment

Working...
                                X