Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My coldest band rehearsal ever!!!

We practise in a large warehouse-type building, heated only by a wood burning stove in the middle. The place is about 60' x 60' or so, high ceiling, no insulation.

It was around 22 degrees inside when we started, and got colder as we played (it got down to 11 last night). The guitarist & bassist were having to tune every song or two, and once the guitarist's left hand just fell off the fretboard in the middle of a riff. We were laughing our asses off at ourselves. There were a few riffs & runs I just couldn't get my hands to work with, too stiff. The drummer did alright, and the singer sounded great.

My Ventilator had trouble staying on the slow speed; it kept going to full brake when I'd kick it down to slow. I don't know if that was from the cold, or just a bad cord, although errythings pretty new there. It worked fine on fast.

I've never had more fun while being miserable.

It was a trip watching the singer's breath condensing in the cold. I use a foam pop filter on my mic, and it got frost on it from my breath.

Comment

dayum that's cold
      Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I'm too spoiled for that ****************.
        =========+=========+=========+=========+========+= =====
        Originally Posted by braif

We need a multi-linqual international special STFU liaison officer around here

Comment

My beers stayed cold, that was a plus.

I was wondering how the LCD displays on my keyboards would fare, but they were fine.

I was very careful about adjusting my mic stand so as to not crack the plastic.

Comment

Reminds me of a few marching band gigs when I was a kid. Metal instruments that you have to blow into aren't much fun in the cold.

Comment

our workshop is similar.we installed a wood burner last winter which was fine if you were standing around it but it was still damed cold.fortunately its summer here so no worries for a while.
              the world is your crabstick

Comment

The fluctuations in humidity will also wreak havoc with wood instruments. I like it colder than most people but around 65 or so.
                http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.co...freaks-out.gif

Comment

we used to practice with a salamander whatever tey were called

Comment

I've been through that. For 12 years we played Stampede Breakfasts as well as afternoon and night gigs - our record was 29 shows in 12 days. My poor bass took a heat-pounding. Most shows were outside so cold mornings; blazingly hot afternoons; and cooling nights were throwing our tuning out of the window. Even the drums needed tuning daily.

Comment

Working...
                    X