Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When You Play Leads, Do You Know Every Note You PLay?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When You Play Leads, Do You Know Every Note You PLay?

I don't. I'm a position, know where I am lead player. The root note I always know, and I consciously know some of the places I fall into

No I dont..but I could figure it out
    Bite Me! Welcome To The New Discount Non Functional H/C !

Comment

clips?

Comment

Sort of ... Sure don't know how to read music though
        MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone
          View Post

I don't. I'm a position, know where I am lead player. The root note I always know, and I consciously know some of the places I fall into

I know the fretboard and can read music for the guitar and mandolin. So yeah.

When I compose my own crap I do it all by ear and try to spare folks a lead, well most of the time.

One thing I figured out a long time ago is, if you gonna play the guitar, know the fretboard cold

Just say I wanted to work on a piece like this, which is a relativity simple classical piece, I will know all the notes and where to put my finga's on boith hands too. No issues with the bass line either.

I actually hate tab, but it has it place, 4 sure.

http://makingmusicfun.net/pdf/sheet_...piano-solo.pdf
          Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

the more you know the less you know

Comment

View Post

It's not really much of a revelation that you are as clueless with your music as you are with the other aspects of your life.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIP
                View Post

It's not really much of a revelation that you are as clueless with your music as you are with the other aspects of your life.

I helps him out

the ones inbetween the whole notes are sharps of flats, depending what key you are in

remember: Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge and FACE

Comment

I usually know the main singable lines.
                  http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.co...freaks-out.gif

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJiUEr4045o

Comment

There is always that pesky one after B that I can never remember .

"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeo
                        View Post

One thing I figured out a long time ago is, if you gonna play the guitar, know the fretboard cold

Why students never want to invest in this is mind boggling to me. It's like living and not knowing and of the streets in your community and having to find everything by trial and error. It's flat out idiotic.
                        The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, sometimes called the first libertarian thinker, said, "The more artificial taboos and restrictions there are in the world, the more the people are impoverished. ... The more that laws and regulations are given prominence, the more thieves and robbers there will be."

Comment

What's a note?
                          Workin' for the man with money in his hand.

Comment

You'd have to be an Einstein to know every not you play
                            He ate all of the crackers, and then he ate all of the cheese.

Comment

View Post

I know the names of the notes. I know the relationship to the root key and to the chord which is occurring in the song that that particular moment. I was doing this before I learned chord construction. After learning for construction it opened it up a little more.

After endless jamming, thousands of gigs and learning thousands of songs, I think I know modes and scales or at least most of them. I just think in my mind that certain string of notes would be cool here. And all of the strings of notes that I know I'm sure have names but what difference does it make if you know what they are called? More important, way more important,... How they are going to sound.

Articulation and phrasing are the most important things lead guitar playing. Articulation means quite a few things. Such as dynamics, vibrato ect. Phrasing is an art, playing a few notes that make a statement then answering them with a few more notes, you know when you hear it.

I have developed a form of phrasing I call abbreviated phrasing. I will share it with you in our next lesson.

Comment

Working...
                              X