Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Knobs tell me about this retirement thing I've been hearing about

Is it totally awesome?

I have vision of palm trees and sand in my head right now

http://www.whitegadget.com/attachments/pc-wallpapers/70381d1314086814-hawaii-hawaii-pictures.jpg

and this

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/grimes-beach/shenae-grimes-jessica-lowndes-beach-bikini-07.jpg

Attached Files
    Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Mikeo wrote:

Is it totally awesome?

I have vision of palm trees and sand in my head right now

http://www.whitegadget.com/attachments/pc-wallpapers/70381d1314086814-hawaii-hawaii-pictures.jpg

and this

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/grimes-beach/shenae-grimes-jessica-lowndes-beach-bikini-07.jpg

You think you'll look this good in a bikini, mikeo? 

Attached Files

Comment

Retirement is different than I expected. 

Pluses:

1. Don't have to go to work every day

2. Don't have to drive through rush hour traffic twice a day

3. Have a LOT of free time

4. Stress level from **************************** bosses and work politics .. gone

5. Life moves at a slower pace

6. A LOT less money spent on gas and vehicles

7. More time to work on getting fit and healthy

Minuses

1. Being a scientist was a huge part of my self identity, I don't know who  I am anymore

2. I enjoyed the science part of my job very much (as opposed to the politics)

3. I make half what I did when I was working (still enough though)

4. I feel a desperate urge to be useful to society and my family

5. I don't want to regress to childhood like my wife's parents, doing craftwork and finding geocaches

6. No more access to important free software (Windows, Photoshop, Office, etc)

7. Huge reduction in my socialization (coworkers were family in some weird way)

8. Unable to stash money in tax deferred retirement accounts (no, you're wrong, I really can't)

9. Alone a LOT

10. Basically waiting to die

So, in summary, it *could* be great but I need to find something useful and personally satisfying to do with myself.  I  can't (or at least shouldn't) impulse buy stuff like I used to.  Being retired has taught me that I "self medicate" by buying for pleasure, i. e. when I'm stressed I'd buy something just to get a little endorphin spike that doesn't last very long.  Now I try to buy just what I need.  Turns out that buying something is more pleasurable than owning something.  In fact, owning a lot of **************** is a burden, a storage, maintenance, and insurance problem.  I'm getting rid of a lot of crap that I've hoarded for no purpose over the years.  Yay for Craig's list and bulk garbage pickup!

So, I dunno. Still figuring this retirement thing out.  I have an added issue that my wife is at the PEAK of her career and working constantly.  I need to pick up the slack in managing our money and keeping our house maintained and clean, and in planning entertainment / travel for us since she's really busy and stressed at work constantly.  It's weird being a house husband. *checks nutsack to see if it's still there*

Terry D.

Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

• tuco
        tuco commented
        Editing a comment

MrKnobs wrote:

Pluses:

4. Stress level from **bleep** bosses and work politics .. gone

Minuses

1. Being a scientist was a huge part of my self identity, I don't know who  I am anymore
        5. I don't want to regress to childhood like my wife's parents, doing craftwork and finding geocaches
        8. Unable to stash money in tax deferred retirement accounts (no, you're wrong, I really can't)
        9. Alone a LOT

So, in summary, it *could* be great but I need to find something useful and personally satisfying to do with myself.  I  can't (or at least shouldn't) impulse buy stuff like I used to.  Being retired has taught me that I "self medicate" by buying for pleasure, i. e. when I'm stressed I'd buy something just to get a little endorphin spike that doesn't last very long.  Now I try to buy just what I need.  Turns out that buying something is more pleasurable than owning something.  In fact, owning a lot of **bleep** is a burden, a storage, maintenance, and insurance problem.  I'm getting rid of a lot of **bleep** that I've hoarded for no purpose over the years.  Yay for Craig's list and bulk garbage pickup!

So, I dunno. Still figuring this retirement thing out.  I have an added issue that my wife is at the PEAK of her career and working constantly.  I need to pick up the slack in managing our money and keeping our house maintained and clean, and in planning entertainment / travel for us since she's really busy and stressed at work constantly.  It's weird being a house husband. *checks nutsack to see if it's still there*

Terry D.

(  Pretty much my experience, too. {catsad}

• Mikeo
        Mikeo commented
        Editing a comment

MrKnobs wrote:

Pluses:

4. Stress level from **bleep** bosses and work politics .. gone

Minuses

9. Alone a LOT

So, in summary, it *could* be great but I need to find something useful and personally satisfying to do with myself.  I  can't (or at least shouldn't) impulse buy stuff like I used to.  Being retired has taught me that I "self medicate" by buying for pleasure, i. e. when I'm stressed I'd buy something just to get a little endorphin spike that doesn't last very long.  Now I try to buy just what I need.  Turns out that buying something is more pleasurable than owning something.  In fact, owning a lot of **bleep** is a burden, a storage, maintenance, and insurance problem.  I'm getting rid of a lot of **bleep** that I've hoarded for no purpose over the years.  Yay for Craig's list and bulk garbage pickup!

Terry D.

sweet

I like the plus side 

I think I'm gonna write songs all day, with a zillion other writers out there. Plus get out and gig on a more regualr basis.

I feel ok, but the work day just being here makes me tired. A day off isn't what I need, but more like a year. 

Got to keep in shape, I want to milk out my pension good 

Working...
    X