X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! College is sooo expensive!

How can anyone afford to go?

My son applied to a number of colleges and this is what it'll cost us for tuition, fees, books, room/board, and expenses. 

Marquette University (private) @ $45,000/year.

Lewis University (private) @ $38,000/year

State university @ $28,000/year

We don't qualify for any need based grants/scholorships 'coz we have too many assets and my son will get @$10k in merit based scholorships at the private universities so it's almost the same cost for all the colleges we're looking at.

Regardless of which college he chooses, he'll still be debt free when he graduates thanks to a little pre-planning and saving.

member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Marquette in Wisconsin? I've got a few friends that want to go there.

I just got accepted to McNally Smith College of Music. FAFSA is apparently going to cut the tuition from $23K to $13K, but ive still got about $10K from housing and books, and because it's private there aren't many scholarships i can get.

Comment

• guitarman
      guitarman commented
      Editing a comment

Marquette had about 23,000 freshman applications this year. My friend's son applied for their physical therapy program (ranked 51st in the US). He didn't get accepted. 

You need a master's to be a physical therapist nowadays. It's funny. All of the schools they've looked at has a competive pre physical therapy bachelors degree yet their actual physical therapy program is only 10% of the pre p.t. graduating class. What happens to the other 90% of pre-physical therapist graduates that don't get into the program? I don't know about you but spending $160k at a private university to get a $10/hr job as a physical therapist assistant doesn't make much sense. 

My wife works with a physical therapist that graduated from Marquette and he's pulling in $50-$60k/year. 

guitarman wrote:

My son applied to a number of colleges and this is what it'll cost us for tuition, fees, books, room/board, and expenses. 

We don't qualify for any need based grants/scholorships 'coz we have too many assets and my son will get @$10k in merit based scholorships at the private universities so it's almost the same cost for all the colleges we're looking at.

Regardless of which college he chooses, he'll still be debt free when he graduates thanks to a little pre-planning and saving.

crazy isn't it

I work at a state funded college and it used to be like 2 grand for tuition.

Tuition is still low, but not that low. How they jack up the prices is through fees.

Besides the work load in classes, some places are like a 24 club med.

Pick a good major or you ain't gonna find work when you graduate either. I understand about doing something you love, but it's like lovin build wheels for horse buggies. You may love it, but there's not much of a call for it these days.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

guitarman wrote:

My son got into USC (his dream school) and is going to graduate in May.........$50K per year NOT including Frat fees and Frat housing..........I will be working the rest of my life!!!!!

But he is a good kid and I wanted to do this for him..........let's hope he gets a killer job that will pay for my nursing home when the time comes

Originally Posted by Sneaky6
      You post in OJ and you are friends with me...you are more than retarded

Originally Posted by Cränky Bästärd
      You're a female and you're here. How normal can you be?

Originally Posted by Voltimus
      ...We aren't smart, but we're handy in a pinch...and we have penises..

Prrrrrrrrrrrrr........

=^..^=

Tuco is my bitch

Comment

• guitarman
        guitarman commented
        Editing a comment

Kitty wrote:

guitarman wrote:

My son got into USC (his dream school) and is going to graduate in May.........$50K per year NOT including Frat fees and Frat housing..........I will be working the rest of my life!!!!!

But he is a good kid and I wanted to do this for him..........let's hope he gets a killer job that will pay for my nursing home when the time comes

He's lucky to have a mom like you. $50k/year? Ouch! 

A friend of ours put her first daughter through Bradley University and she graduated a couple of years ago. The trouble is that she co-signed for some student loans of which she still owes over $100k and she has a son in community college now with a daughter going to college next year and a son hitting college five years from now. Unfortunately, her kids are not 4.0 students and HS sports superstars. Her kids are like the rest of the 98% of the high school population, regular kids like mine.

• Mikeo
        Mikeo commented
        Editing a comment

Kitty wrote:

guitarman wrote:

many nursing homes charge on the bsais of what you have.

28k/year for a state university?

That is pretty damn absurd.

I went to a state university for about 6k a year and graduated spring '08. Paid the tuition with stafford loans, mostly unsubsidized, worked part time on campus for about 8-10 bucks an hour. And my parents sent me a couple hundred a month most of the time to help out a little.

I probably never did more than about 10k per year in income from the part time work, but that got me by quite OK.

I haven't been making too big of a dent in the 20k of loans that I got left with, but soon enough

Comment

• Pigger
        Pigger commented
        Editing a comment

I went to UNM for two semesters, back in 1976. I paid $295 the first semester, for 15 credit hours. The 2nd semester cost me $345, for 18 credit hours.

Didn't finish, and finally went back to a trade school & got a diploma. I've been working in that field now since 1985.

• guitarman
        guitarman commented
        Editing a comment

Was_PTM wrote:

28k/year for a state university?

That is pretty damn absurd.

I went to a state university for about 6k a year and graduated spring '08. Paid the tuition with stafford loans, mostly unsubsidized, worked part time on campus for about 8-10 bucks an hour. And my parents sent me a couple hundred a month most of the time to help out a little.

I probably never did more than about 10k per year in income from the part time work, but that got me by quite OK.

I haven't been making too big of a dent in the 20k of loans that I got left with, but soon enough

That $28k incudes $14k in tuition, rm/board+fees+books+personal spending. That $28k is from the schools' 'net price calculator' . That's something new that colleges have to provide for college shopping/comparisons. Go check out some colleges' website and find their 'net price calculator'. You'll be amazed at the cost of some of these colleges. 

$20k isn't too bad. I have a friend that's co-signed for $100k+ worth of student loans with her daughter. She graduated two years ago and has yet to find a job in her major. Art history.  

Working...
    X