X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So there is a cat next door.

So, there is.

My neighbors moved out & took their dogs & cats w/ them, but this one cat is still there. It appears to live outside, in a bush at the corner of the house.

Someone put a water dish on the vacant house's front porch; i found it empty & filled it the other day. 

I asked a good friend who has a cat about it, i.e. would it be able to find enough food on it's own to survive & he said no, it would probably get all thin & scraggly; I wanted to know if feeding it (not at my house) would be a bad idea somehow & he said it wouldn't hurt anything.

So, I've been putting a can of cat food on the porch next to the water dish every few days, and it's being eaten; not sure by what or whom, though (I haven't seen anything eat the food, but it's gone).

I don't know jack about cats & am allergic to many of them, but I'm feeling sorry for it, I guess.

I find it strange that my distatse for cats is diminishing.

Cats have a knack for clawing their way into your heart.

Comment

That's how I ended up with two cats. :catfrustrated: :catfrustrated:

They were abandoned and left behind where I lived. I started feeding them. When I moved I couldn't leave them behind again so I brought them with me. They make us laugh every day, but still sometimes their selfishness gets old.

I just have a weakness for critters. I don't think like there's good critters and bad critters. I recon if they're here it's because they're supposed to be here.

Originally Posted by braif

We need a multi-linqual international special STFU liaison officer around here

Comment

i myself and i have recently adopted a stray puss.turned up about two weeks ago here at the workshop,all skin and bone and very mangey(whatever that is).i took pity on her and have been feeding her every day.what a difference after two weeks.now has some condition on her and is quite friendly.reminds me i must get flea and worm stuff.have named her yet...shes black so i might call her sooty or blackie,or blackcat,or perhaps i will just go with brian.i always thoughr brian would be an exellent name for a cat.

the world is your crabstick

Comment

• Bandard
          Bandard commented
          Editing a comment

Hopefully it is not a grandma on a fixed income coming over for early bird specials

• Pigger
          Pigger commented
          Editing a comment

Kunac wrote:

i myself and i have recently adopted a stray puss.turned up about two weeks ago here at the workshop,all skin and bone and very mangey(whatever that is).i took pity on her and have been feeding her every day.what a difference after two weeks.now has some condition on her and is quite friendly.reminds me i must get flea and worm stuff.have named her yet...shes black so i might call her sooty or blackie,or blackcat,or perhaps i will just go with brian.i always thoughr brian would be an exellent name for a cat.

I agree about Brian, and I accepted your poast as a solution. :ridiculousPhil:

Pigger wrote:

So, there is.

My neighbors moved out & took their dogs & cats w/ them, but this one cat is still there. It appears to live outside, in a bush at the corner of the house.

Someone put a water dish on the vacant house's front porch; i found it empty & filled it the other day. 

I asked a good friend who has a cat about it, i.e. would it be able to find enough food on it's own to survive & he said no, it would probably get all thin & scraggly; I wanted to know if feeding it (not at my house) would be a bad idea somehow & he said it wouldn't hurt anything.

So, I've been putting a can of cat food on the porch next to the water dish every few days, and it's being eaten; not sure by what or whom, though (I haven't seen anything eat the food, but it's gone).

I don't know jack about cats & am allergic to many of them, but I'm feeling sorry for it, I guess.

I find it strange that my distatse for cats is diminishing.

Call the humane society and they will either find the cat a home or put it down, and I hate the put it down part cause it's a sad ending to what could be a sadder ending.

Unless you are gonna take the cat in don't feed him. You could look for a home for him too.

I took in a 5 year old cat about 7 years ago and the cat now loves my wife, but he was not with out issues.

The cat weighed in at 5 lbs and we thought he was a she. Before he came in I took him to the vets and got him a full check up. We also had two other cats that have never been outside and he had isses with staying inside. We thought we could have him come and go, and he did do just that only to disappera for day on end. Twice I plaster this ghetto with fliers looking for him, fleas was another thing. It's 15 bucks a month for each cat to be on Advantage/Frontline. 

I finally broke him of going outside or wanting to go outside and now he's cubby and slow. Plus the peeps that were feeding him before treated him badly. 

He was supposed to go to a friend of mine and was at his place for 3 days and did nothing but cry. I took him back 3 days later, after my friend had not slept in days. It was bad.

So here's my wife's buddy. Mr Jones

It's more work than many are willing to put in. The cat knows your hood well.

I probably have 10 grand tied up at the vets with my 3 cats in the last 14 years

Mr Jones edit.jpg

Attached Files
        Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• RoadRanger
          RoadRanger commented
          Editing a comment

Mikeo wrote:

I probably have 10 grand tied up at the vets with my 3 cats in the last 14 years

Taxidermy is a lot cheaper and you'd have them forever  !

Pigger wrote:
        Seriously though, I am not sure what the best course is here, given my limitations. I don't want to contribute to the feral cat population, and I hate that they crap in my yard (which is mostly dirt; they love it) and I would trap it & take it to the pound if I ever saw it messing w/ my turtles (I don't think the cat could hurt them unless it found one sleepily basking in the sun, though); on the other hand, I am reasonably compassionate and don't want to see an animal suffer needlessly.

Comment

• RoadRanger
          RoadRanger commented
          Editing a comment

At the very least trap them and have them "fixed".

Working...
      X