Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CD player bit the big one!

It just stopped working Saturday, after making a strange sound when I powered it on.

I bought it used, around 14 years ago; I guess I got my money's worth. now I need to shop for a replacement; something high-end, not some cheap POS.

My nice 3- head 3-motor Sony cassette deck is also having trouble; it warbles. Lots of flutter. I've tried cleaning the pinch roller & capstan, but it still warbles.

I have no $$$ right now, so I'm just fecked, i guess.  :sadpig:

Is there a proper secondhand shoppe around ye? I still have a cd player, VHS player and cassette deck in me workshoppe. If they were to break, I could replace 'em for cheap. Secondhand.

member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Comment

• MrKnobs
      MrKnobs commented
      Editing a comment

An expensive CD player doesn't sound any different than a cheap one. 

I have an embarrassing story to tell on myself.  I'm fairly expert at digital and analog electronics, I took EE design courses in college and put myself through college working as a electronics repair guy.  I was the guy at the shop that all the other idiots came to for help when there was a tricky problem.

Having said all that, I can be really stupid!

I had a little portable $75 CD player that I really liked.  One day I put a CD in and it just didn't work.  No sound, nothing.  Spinning but no output. My first thought was to throw it away but I didn't do that.

Instead I opened it up to fix it.  This thing was small but old, so it had a lot of chips in it on two circuit boards folded over the other with ribbon cable attaching.  I checked all the simple stuff, no dice.  So I got out my small scope to signal trace the analog section.  The analog section was working perfectly!

****************.  Troubleshooting digital with no schematic and unknown chips is harder.  I sorta hoped the read head was bad (easier to figure out) but if it had been, then the player would go in the bin.  It wasn't.  Good signal off the read head.

WTF?  How often does digital stuff die?  Not very.

I put away my small scope and got out the big, dual trace, 5MHz digital scope.  Sigh. This was going to take a while.  I thought about just throwing away the $79 player but now I was on a mission.  I was gonna fix this damn thing if I spent 8 hours on it!  That's the thinking that usually got me yelled at by my boss at the repair shop!

I patiently mapped out the digital circuit board, traced the digital signal flow with the scope, very tedious.  But it didn't take as long as I thought because although there was good signal coming into the A/D chip and good binary coming out, that was the end of it.  The next chip in line (no idea what it was, no label on it) was inputing perfectly good binary and putting out... nothing. 

For a moment I thought, "Yay!  This mystery chip is bad, I figured it out!"  Then I thought, "****************, I can't replace this chip, I don't even know what it is." 

Then I suddenly had a third thought, which was the winner.  I popped open the lid on the CD player and took the burned CD out.  Could the CD be SO BAD that even the usually robust correction algorithms couldn't produce even a click or a screech?  Could the CD be.... BLANK??!!!!  OMG, I hadn't even swapped CDs first, how stupid could an experienced repairman be? 

But... it wasn't blank.  I could see the burned section on the underside of the CD clearly.  Maybe the CD was just REALLY badly burned but no error code.  I took it out and stuck it in my computer and it immediately started playing.  WTF??? 

I stopped the playback and opened a window with the idea of running an error check on the CD.  No need, it was NOT an audio CD, it was a DATA CD.  It happened to have a couple of MP3s on it, and that's why it played in the computer and why it didn't in the old, portable CD player I was trying to fix.  There had never been anything wrong with it in the first place.  I popped another CD in it and it worked just fine.

I spent the next 45 minutes putting the CD player back together with all the little tiny screws and springs thinking how stupid I am. 

Terry D.

Pigger wrote:

It just stopped working Saturday, after making a strange sound when I powered it on.

I bought it used, around 14 years ago; I guess I got my money's worth. now I need to shop for a replacement; something high-end, not some cheap POS.

My nice 3- head 3-motor Sony cassette deck is also having trouble; it warbles. Lots of flutter. I've tried cleaning the pinch roller & capstan, but it still warbles.

I have no $$$ right now, so I'm just fecked, i guess.  :sadpig:

I bought a cd player when they first came out in the early mid 80's, that f!@ker cost me like 800 bucks

It bit the dust 2 years later. I bought a Denon for have the cost after that and I still have it.

Now they are like 50 bucks

I have a Phillips cd burner unit that was rather costly too.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• nice keetee
      nice keetee commented
      Editing a comment

i bought a magnavox cd player for $4 at the city mission about 15 years ago, still works fine

I rip all my CDs to a hard drive and play them through my computer. I could rip them as .wav with no loss of fidelity, but that would take a hell of a lot of disk space. My computer plays through an A/V receiver at home, so though the MP3 is a compromise, the speakers are full-range.

Comment

• isaac42
      isaac42 commented
      Editing a comment

Jerry_Lev wrote:

I rip all my CDs to a hard drive and play them through my computer. I could rip them as .wav with no loss of fidelity, but that would take a hell of a lot of disk space. My computer plays though an A/V receiver at home, so though the MP3 is a compromise, the speakers are full-range.

There are other lossless formats that take up less space than .wav files.

Working...
X